642 users online (78 members and 564 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 211
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    723

    Arrow What the Prosecution Thinks About Media Reporting in this case

    In the answer to Baez's Motion to Recuse, the prosecution (State Of Florida) spelled out exactly what it thinks about the news reporting in this case.

    STATE OF FLORIDA'S MOTION TO STRIKE DEFENDANT'S EMERGENCY MOTION TO RECUSE dtd 1-29-09

    1. On January 27 2009, the defendant, through counsel, filed her motion to recuse alleging that news media reports of statements supposedly made by a representitive of the Florida Bar constitute an effort by the State of Florida to interfere with the defendant's Sixth Admendment right to counsel.

    8. The defendant's motion is based upon news media reports. The state of Florida would urge to deny without hearing any motion that cites as factual support the report of any news outlet. The media coverage to date has ranged from sensational to speculative to irresponsible to just plain wrong and should never form the basis for a motion in a court of law.

    I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.

    For instance, WFTV just had on their website a headline that stated:

    "Baez Tried To Smuggle Bracelet To Casey"

    Buried in the article is this statement from Jail Spokesman Allen Moore about the rubberband bracelet:

    "....there is no evidence that there was any malicious intent to smuggle in the bracelet."

    IMHO the headline by WFTV was an intentionally "sensational" and the word "smuggle" is an example of "irresponsible and sensational" journalism!
    "Your words and actions should reflect how you would want someone to act and speak towards you"

    TruthSeeker not Truth Seeker. No space between Truth and Seeker. My post are my opinion unless a link is posted.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CLT NC
    Posts
    200
    about the braclet....Why didn't JB put in a 'recognizable' place, like...pointing it out to whom the outfit was dropped off to at the 'jail'..or tape it to the outside of the jacket in plane site instead of consealing it in one of her socks? Just a question. He is an attorney, he should know the 'rules' by now. Especially after his pat on the hand for the hugging incident? Why would a professional attorney with jail-house extensive visitation experience-conceal it the way he did....maybe He wanted it known that his client wanted a caylee memento. To 'show' she really thinks of her and misses her. Because it's apparent she outwardly, does not show these 'feelings' herself. Playing 'grab the pen games' as her daughters remains are front and center......imo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by skygirl View Post
    about the braclet....Why didn't JB put in a 'recognizable' place, like...pointing it out to whom the outfit was dropped off to at the 'jail'..or tape it to the outside of the jacket in plane site instead of consealing it in one of her socks? Just a question. He is an attorney, he should know the 'rules' by now. Especially after his pat on the hand for the hugging incident? Why would a professional attorney with jail-house extensive visitation experience-conceal it the way he did....maybe He wanted it known that his client wanted a caylee memento. To 'show' she really thinks of her and misses her. Because it's apparent she outwardly, does not show these 'feelings' herself. Playing 'grab the pen games' as her daughters remains are front and center......imo
    Concealing or protecting? It was a rubber band with lettering stamped on it (like the WWJD rubber band bracelets). She had a rubberband in her hair. Men who are defendants wear ties in court. My husband rolls his ties and puts them in his suit pocket when traveling. Is that concealing or protecting? I personally think this was overkill.

    I think you misssed the point of my original post.
    "Your words and actions should reflect how you would want someone to act and speak towards you"

    TruthSeeker not Truth Seeker. No space between Truth and Seeker. My post are my opinion unless a link is posted.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    behind you
    Posts
    1,372
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Concealing or protecting? It was a rubber band with lettering stamped on it (like the WWJD rubber band bracelets). She had a rubberband in her hair. Men who are defendants wear ties in court. My husband rolls his ties and puts them in his suit pocket when traveling. Is that concealing or protecting? I personally think this was overkill.
    I think you misssed the point of my original post.
    so do i, truthseeker. to me it's just the logical place to put something - that's what pockets are for.
    people are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post

    I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.

    WFTV again. Bolded parts are not to be regarded as true.


    Caylee Marie Anthony's remains were found on December 11 stuffed into a cloth laundry hamper bag and then in a black trash bag with yellow ties. A small shirt and shorts were found with the remains and also Caylee's backpack with the word "adorable" on it.

    Based on what investigators found with Caylee's remains in the wooded area less than a half-mile from Caylee's house, they went back there that day looking for several things to link the murder to Caylee's mother Casey. They went back for trash bags, duct tape, their packaging and any receipts associated with them, Winnie the Pooh clothing and accessories which were plentiful in Caylee's room, small clothes with iron-on lettering, towels, blankets, diapers, pull-up pants with a flower design like the ones found with Caylee's remains and all toothbrushes, hairbrushes and cell phones.

    Sheaffer said the public might never find out why a stainless steel knife was found with the body.

    "The knife could have been an agency of the murder, could have been used to cut the tape. A myriad of possibilities with the knife," Sheaffer said.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875
    Quote Originally Posted by eddeva View Post
    so do i, truthseeker. to me it's just the logical place to put something - that's what pockets are for.
    Ditto. This is an example of possible speculative and sensationalized reporting in the media.

    I would imagine the SA are very frustrated with some media reports, and this one, coming on the heels of the latest motion arguing about the complaints against JB is not good either. If someone files another complaint now towards JB, based on a speculative media report, you know JB will be eye-balling the SA to make sure they had nothing to do with the complaint.

    All from speculative media reports. Just one example.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    In the answer to Baez's Motion to Recuse, the prosecution (State Of Florida) spelled out exactly what it thinks about the news reporting in this case.

    STATE OF FLORIDA'S MOTION TO STRIKE DEFENDANT'S EMERGENCY MOTION TO RECUSE dtd 1-29-09

    1. On January 27 2009, the defendant, through counsel, filed her motion to recuse alleging that news media reports of statements supposedly made by a representitive of the Florida Bar constitute an effort by the State of Florida to interfere with the defendant's Sixth Admendment right to counsel.

    8. The defendant's motion is based upon news media reports. The state of Florida would urge to deny without hearing any motion that cites as factual support the report of any news outlet. The media coverage to date has ranged from sensational to speculative to irresponsible to just plain wrong and should never form the basis for a motion in a court of law.

    I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.

    For instance, WFTV just had on their website a headline that stated:

    "Baez Tried To Smuggle Bracelet To Casey"

    Buried in the article is this statement from Jail Spokesman Allen Moore about the rubberband bracelet:

    "....there is no evidence that there was any malicious intent to smuggle in the bracelet."

    IMHO the headline by WFTV was an intentionally "sensational" and the word "smuggle" is an example of "irresponsible and sensational" journalism!


    Also, lying!!

    Good post TruthSeeker

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,762
    I agree with the OP. WFTV is the worst for sensational and irresponsible reporting. They are very biased against the A's and Baez since Baez kicked them out of the press conference. Other news outlets cite WFTV in their own reports, and further spread the misinformation.

    I've actually LOL'd after reading WFTV's report of what's in a video and then watching the actual video itself. For instance, when Lee removed flowers and items from in front of the house. According to WFTV's written report, he 'stormed' out of the house, 'grabbed' up the flowers, and disposed of them. The video showed him calming walking over to the flowers, carefully gathering them up, and carrying in the house through the front door.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    In the answer to Baez's Motion to Recuse, the prosecution (State Of Florida) spelled out exactly what it thinks about the news reporting in this case.

    STATE OF FLORIDA'S MOTION TO STRIKE DEFENDANT'S EMERGENCY MOTION TO RECUSE dtd 1-29-09

    1. On January 27 2009, the defendant, through counsel, filed her motion to recuse alleging that news media reports of statements supposedly made by a representitive of the Florida Bar constitute an effort by the State of Florida to interfere with the defendant's Sixth Admendment right to counsel.

    8. The defendant's motion is based upon news media reports. The state of Florida would urge to deny without hearing any motion that cites as factual support the report of any news outlet. The media coverage to date has ranged from sensational to speculative to irresponsible to just plain wrong and should never form the basis for a motion in a court of law.

    I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.

    For instance, WFTV just had on their website a headline that stated:

    "Baez Tried To Smuggle Bracelet To Casey"

    Buried in the article is this statement from Jail Spokesman Allen Moore about the rubberband bracelet:

    "....there is no evidence that there was any malicious intent to smuggle in the bracelet."

    IMHO the headline by WFTV was an intentionally "sensational" and the word "smuggle" is an example of "irresponsible and sensational" journalism!
    While there is no question that ALL media outlets use similiar tactics to catch the reader's/viewer's eye, it is not being less than professional or responsible to report it in that way. Anytime contraband is found going into a jail that is hidden from sight, it would by definition be "smuggling". Malicious intent or not is decided by LE and the Jailers. It doesn't change the definition of "smuggle".

    Pronunciation: \ˈsmə-gəl\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): smug·gled; smug·gling \-g(ə-)liŋ\
    Etymology: Low German smuggeln & Dutch smokkelen
    Date: 1687
    transitive verb
    1 : to import or export secretly contrary to the law and especially without paying duties imposed by law
    2 : to convey or introduce surreptitiously
    intransitive verb
    : to import or export something in violation of the customs laws — smug·gler \ˈsmə-glər\ noun

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/smuggle

    (Bolded by me)
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I agree with the OP. WFTV is the worst for sensational and irresponsible reporting. They are very biased against the A's and Baez since Baez kicked them out of the press conference. Other news outlets cite WFTV in their own reports, and further spread the misinformation.

    I've actually LOL'd after reading WFTV's report of what's in a video and then watching the actual video itself. For instance, when Lee removed flowers and items from in front of the house. According to WFTV's written report, he 'stormed' out of the house, 'grabbed' up the flowers, and disposed of them. The video showed him calming walking over to the flowers, carefully gathering them up, and carrying in the house through the front door.
    Yeah.

    I would think the Prosecution is pleased with the media coverage of the case.

    Although, it is possible the media has topped Casey's record for .... you know what.

    Stoking the public outrage definitely works for the Prosecution. Or at least it should I would think.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,780
    Sheaffer's (WFTV) narrative analysis of the PI video was hilarious. He said DC cut open a black plastic bag that was buried (at the abandoned backyard). The bag was not buried and was instead sitting on the ground up against the building. He also never mentioned that DC was rooting around right next to a building. When I finally saw the video, I was stunned at Sheaffer's lack of descriptive skills.

  12. #12
    If you will look very closely in the "flower bed" where he was digging...there does appear to be what looks like a piece of black plastic sticking out of the ground. I believe this is what he was referring to and not the bags sitting beside the building.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

    A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.



    What I post are my opinions only.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,761
    Snip:

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.
    A great idea IMHO. And maybe add "misleading" to the categories as well, to cover Seriously Searching's correct explanation about instances like the use of the word "Smuggle" in the WFTV headline.

    For instance, WFTV just had on their website a headline that stated:

    "Baez Tried To Smuggle Bracelet To Casey"

    Buried in the article is this statement from Jail Spokesman Allen Moore about the rubberband bracelet:

    "....there is no evidence that there was any malicious intent to smuggle in the bracelet."

    IMHO the headline by WFTV was an intentionally "sensational" and the word "smuggle" is an example of "irresponsible and sensational" journalism!
    Hawk. My BFF

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    If you will look very closely in the "flower bed" where he was digging...there does appear to be what looks like a piece of black plastic sticking out of the ground. I believe this is what he was referring to and not the bags sitting beside the building.

    Sheaffer said that DC came across a partially buried black plastic bag and cut it open.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I agree with the OP. WFTV is the worst for sensational and irresponsible reporting. They are very biased against the A's and Baez since Baez kicked them out of the press conference. Other news outlets cite WFTV in their own reports, and further spread the misinformation.

    I've actually LOL'd after reading WFTV's report of what's in a video and then watching the actual video itself. For instance, when Lee removed flowers and items from in front of the house. According to WFTV's written report, he 'stormed' out of the house, 'grabbed' up the flowers, and disposed of them. The video showed him calming walking over to the flowers, carefully gathering them up, and carrying in the house through the front door.
    I remember this incident very well because I posted based on the written report and was then mortified when I saw the actual video.
    Hawk. My BFF

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. 2011.03.21 - JVM is reporting a neighbor thinks anthonys are hiding something
    By WillenFan21 in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Tags for this Thread