What the Prosecution Thinks About Media Reporting in this case

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
In the answer to Baez's Motion to Recuse, the prosecution (State Of Florida) spelled out exactly what it thinks about the news reporting in this case.

STATE OF FLORIDA'S MOTION TO STRIKE DEFENDANT'S EMERGENCY MOTION TO RECUSE dtd 1-29-09

1. On January 27 2009, the defendant, through counsel, filed her motion to recuse alleging that news media reports of statements supposedly made by a representitive of the Florida Bar constitute an effort by the State of Florida to interfere with the defendant's Sixth Admendment right to counsel.

8. The defendant's motion is based upon news media reports. The state of Florida would urge to deny without hearing any motion that cites as factual support the report of any news outlet. The media coverage to date has ranged from sensational to speculative to irresponsible to just plain wrong and should never form the basis for a motion in a court of law.

I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.

For instance, WFTV just had on their website a headline that stated:

"Baez Tried To Smuggle Bracelet To Casey"

Buried in the article is this statement from Jail Spokesman Allen Moore about the rubberband bracelet:

"....there is no evidence that there was any malicious intent to smuggle in the bracelet."

IMHO the headline by WFTV was an intentionally "sensational" and the word "smuggle" is an example of "irresponsible and sensational" journalism!

about the braclet....Why didn't JB put in a 'recognizable' place, like...pointing it out to whom the outfit was dropped off to at the 'jail'..or tape it to the outside of the jacket in plane site instead of consealing it in one of her socks? Just a question. He is an attorney, he should know the 'rules' by now. Especially after his pat on the hand for the hugging incident? Why would a professional attorney with jail-house extensive visitation experience-conceal it the way he did....maybe He wanted it known that his client wanted a caylee memento. To 'show' she really thinks of her and misses her. Because it's apparent she outwardly, does not show these 'feelings' herself. Playing 'grab the pen games' as her daughters remains are front and center......imo

about the braclet....Why didn't JB put in a 'recognizable' place, like...pointing it out to whom the outfit was dropped off to at the 'jail'..or tape it to the outside of the jacket in plane site instead of consealing it in one of her socks? Just a question. He is an attorney, he should know the 'rules' by now. Especially after his pat on the hand for the hugging incident? Why would a professional attorney with jail-house extensive visitation experience-conceal it the way he did....maybe He wanted it known that his client wanted a caylee memento. To 'show' she really thinks of her and misses her. Because it's apparent she outwardly, does not show these 'feelings' herself. Playing 'grab the pen games' as her daughters remains are front and center......imo

Concealing or protecting? It was a rubber band with lettering stamped on it (like the WWJD rubber band bracelets). She had a rubberband in her hair. Men who are defendants wear ties in court. My husband rolls his ties and puts them in his suit pocket when traveling. Is that concealing or protecting? I personally think this was overkill.

I think you misssed the point of my original post.

Concealing or protecting? It was a rubber band with lettering stamped on it (like the WWJD rubber band bracelets). She had a rubberband in her hair. Men who are defendants wear ties in court. My husband rolls his ties and puts them in his suit pocket when traveling. Is that concealing or protecting? I personally think this was overkill.
I think you misssed the point of my original post.

so do i, truthseeker. to me it's just the logical place to put something - that's what pockets are for.

I would love to gather a list of things (in one thread) that are unsubstantiated "facts" in this case or are examples of "irresponsible", "sensational" and "speculative" reporting that has come from the media.

WFTV again. Bolded parts are not to be regarded as true.

Caylee Marie Anthony's remains were found on December 11 stuffed into a cloth laundry hamper bag and then in a black trash bag with yellow ties. A small shirt and shorts were found with the remains and also Caylee's backpack with the word "adorable" on it.

Based on what investigators found with Caylee's remains in the wooded area less than a half-mile from Caylee's house, they went back there that day looking for several things to link the murder to Caylee's mother Casey. They went back for trash bags, duct tape, their packaging and any receipts associated with them, Winnie the Pooh clothing and accessories which were plentiful in Caylee's room, small clothes with iron-on lettering, towels, blankets, diapers, pull-up pants with a flower design like the ones found with Caylee's remains and all toothbrushes, hairbrushes and cell phones.

Sheaffer said the public might never find out why a stainless steel knife was found with the body.

"The knife could have been an agency of the murder, could have been used to cut the tape. A myriad of possibilities with the knife," Sheaffer said.

so do i, truthseeker. to me it's just the logical place to put something - that's what pockets are for.

Ditto. This is an example of possible speculative and sensationalized reporting in the media.

I would imagine the SA are very frustrated with some media reports, and this one, coming on the heels of the latest motion arguing about the complaints against JB is not good either. If someone files another complaint now towards JB, based on a speculative media report, you know JB will be eye-balling the SA to make sure they had nothing to do with the complaint.

All from speculative media reports. Just one example.

In the answer to Baez's Motion to Recuse, the prosecution (State Of Florida) spelled out exactly what it thinks about the news reporting in this case.

STATE OF FLORIDA'S MOTION TO STRIKE DEFENDANT'S EMERGENCY MOTION TO RECUSE dtd 1-29-09

1. On January 27 2009, the defendant, through counsel, filed her motion to recuse alleging that news media reports of statements supposedly made by a representitive of the Florida Bar constitute an effort by the State of Florida to interfere with the defendant's Sixth Admendment right to counsel.

8. The defendant's motion is based upon news media reports. The state of Florida would urge to deny without hearing any motion that cites as factual support the report of any news outlet. The media coverage to date has ranged from sensational to speculative to irresponsible to just plain wrong and should never form the basis for a motion in a court of law.

Buried in the article is this statement from Jail Spokesman Allen Moore about the rubberband bracelet:

"....there is no evidence that there was any malicious intent to smuggle in the bracelet."

IMHO the headline by WFTV was an intentionally "sensational" and the word "smuggle" is an example of "irresponsible and sensational" journalism!

Also, lying!!

Good post TruthSeeker

I agree with the OP. WFTV is the worst for sensational and irresponsible reporting. They are very biased against the A's and Baez since Baez kicked them out of the press conference. Other news outlets cite WFTV in their own reports, and further spread the misinformation.

I've actually LOL'd after reading WFTV's report of what's in a video and then watching the actual video itself. For instance, when Lee removed flowers and items from in front of the house. According to WFTV's written report, he 'stormed' out of the house, 'grabbed' up the flowers, and disposed of them. The video showed him calming walking over to the flowers, carefully gathering them up, and carrying in the house through the front door. :confused:

While there is no question that ALL media outlets use similiar tactics to catch the reader's/viewer's eye, it is not being less than professional or responsible to report it in that way. Anytime contraband is found going into a jail that is hidden from sight, it would by definition be "smuggling". Malicious intent or not is decided by LE and the Jailers. It doesn't change the definition of "smuggle".

Pronunciation: \ˈsmə-gəl\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): smug·gled; smug·gling \-g(ə-)liŋ\
Etymology: Low German smuggeln & Dutch smokkelen
Date: 1687
transitive verb
1 : to import or export secretly contrary to the law and especially without paying duties imposed by law
2 : to convey or introduce surreptitiously
intransitive verb
: to import or export something in violation of the customs laws — smug·gler \ˈsmə-glər\ noun

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/smuggle

(Bolded by me)

I agree with the OP. WFTV is the worst for sensational and irresponsible reporting. They are very biased against the A's and Baez since Baez kicked them out of the press conference. Other news outlets cite WFTV in their own reports, and further spread the misinformation.

I've actually LOL'd after reading WFTV's report of what's in a video and then watching the actual video itself. For instance, when Lee removed flowers and items from in front of the house. According to WFTV's written report, he 'stormed' out of the house, 'grabbed' up the flowers, and disposed of them. The video showed him calming walking over to the flowers, carefully gathering them up, and carrying in the house through the front door. :confused:

Yeah.

I would think the Prosecution is pleased with the media coverage of the case.

Although, it is possible the media has topped Casey's record for .... you know what.

Stoking the public outrage definitely works for the Prosecution. Or at least it should I would think.

Sheaffer's (WFTV) narrative analysis of the PI video was hilarious. He said DC cut open a black plastic bag that was buried (at the abandoned backyard). The bag was not buried and was instead sitting on the ground up against the building. He also never mentioned that DC was rooting around right next to a building. When I finally saw the video, I was stunned at Sheaffer's lack of descriptive skills.

If you will look very closely in the "flower bed" where he was digging...there does appear to be what looks like a piece of black plastic sticking out of the ground. I believe this is what he was referring to and not the bags sitting beside the building.

Snip:

A great idea IMHO. And maybe add "misleading" to the categories as well, to cover Seriously Searching's correct explanation about instances like the use of the word "Smuggle" in the WFTV headline.

If you will look very closely in the "flower bed" where he was digging...there does appear to be what looks like a piece of black plastic sticking out of the ground. I believe this is what he was referring to and not the bags sitting beside the building.

Sheaffer said that DC came across a partially buried black plastic bag and cut it open.

I remember this incident very well because I posted based on the written report and was then mortified when I saw the actual video.

When I seen him throw them out, I knew that was a real bad move. He thought he was the one who had 'control.' Shows how wet behind the ears he is. When he tossed them out, he lost any 'control' he would ever have with that news group. They wouldn't be coming tho him for HIM to fashion the story, they would go around him. And that is never the best for a persons client.

But that pretty much sums up part of JB"s problem. He alienates those whom he needs their help. Then complains because they are not tripping over themselves to help him.

I got a feeling his mother was one of those helicopter parents, that folks was talking about. Some how he didn't learn the process of networking.

Snipped

Ummm:waitasec:....where shall we start?

IMO a VERY large proportion of the reporting on this case falls into the categories mentioned above. One particular thing that annoys me greatly every time I see it is MyFoxOrlando's constant references to Caylee as the 'slain toddler'. How on earth do they know she was 'slain'? The constant repetition of this phrase gives the impression that it is a given fact that Caylee's death was the result of a deliberate murder when that has yet to be proved! The word 'slain' also implies a violent killing which is even worse! :banghead:

I hear what you're saying, and get what the prosecution is trying to express, but thats not really the point of JBs motion. Isnt the point that they are leaking info, and hiding behind a cloak of anonimity? And then laying the blame on the media?
I have believed all along that the prosecution is leaking information to people like LP, NG and MF, to name a few.
How is it that NG has had the inside story on doc dumps prior to their release? If it hasnt been handed to the defense yet, then it can only be coming from one other place.
What the media does with it then is a seperate issue, but doesnt change the fact that these people claim to not be leaking info when they clearly are.

Its interesting that you have noted the very same point the prosecution was talking about prior to the proceedings, and patting themselves on the back for (#8). You're not one of them are you? :eek:
I never thought I'd say this, but I think JB behaved in a more professional manner than the state this time round. He cant write a motion to save his life, but the behaviour in that courtroom by the state had me shaking my head in shame. (I wasnt just watching KC) They're supposed to be the good guys!! :mad:

They shouldnt be recused, but they do need to pull their socks up, show some professionalism and remember that they are seeking justice for Caylee, not playing a game of strategy, and stroking each others egos. JMO

When I seen him throw them out, I knew that was a real bad move. He thought he was the one who had 'control.' Shows how wet behind the ears he is. When he tossed them out, he lost any 'control' he would ever have with that news group. They wouldn't be coming tho him for HIM to fashion the story, they would go around him. And that is never the best for a persons client.

But that pretty much sums up part of JB"s problem. He alienates those whom he needs their help. Then complains because they are not tripping over themselves to help him.

I got a feeling his mother was one of those helicopter parents, that folks was talking about. Some how he didn't learn the process of networking.

You're right, it was a very bad move on his part. WFTV had been slanting their posts all along but they really stepped it up after Baez got on their bad side. Bringing LP in as one of their "sources" says everything about their integrity as a legitimate news outlet, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back