674 users online (86 members and 588 guests)  

Websleuths News

Georgia, USA

GA - Grim Twist in ’85 Atlanta Rape Case

This is a real pizzer! Georgia sleuths please take note:

Pete Williams was released from prison in January 2007 after serving nearly 22 years for rape.Thanks to the Georgia Innocence Project, DNA proved Kenneth Wicker was the guilty man. Wicker has previous convictions for rape, aggravated sodomy, kidnapping, robbery and aggravated assault .

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said the DNA proves there is “no question” that Wicker, now 49, committed the crime. Also “It’s clear he’s a serial rapist. He should not be where he can harm anyone.” But, Howard dropped charges against Wicker because the victim refuses to testify again. “How long can you continue to traumatize this woman?” he asked. “We weighed all the circumstances and the most prudent thing would be to just let it go.” WHAT?

Is justice best served by protecting a victim? Or by prosecuting a repeat offender and getting him off the street? "Public safety should win out", said Barry Scheck, co-founder of the New York-based Innocence Project. “He thinks he’s letting a serial rapist go? That’s outrageous. Tell that to the next victim.”

It’s possible, attorneys say, to convict someone with DNA evidence even with contradicting eyewitness testimony. And here is the kicker ... Georgia law requires sex offenders who were convicted or on parole after July 1, 1996, to register their address. Wicker was released from prison on July 27, 1989, and then served six years of probation, ending in 1995. He is not listed on the Georgia Sexual Offender Registry!

The AJC article is guaranteed to infuriate. Please read for the full story. Kenneth Wicker is a dangerous man. I suggest a letter-writing campaign to the DA office, AJC, TV stations, GA Innocence Project & everywhere else this failure of the system can be spotlighted.

MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    This DA is letting a serial rapist stay on the streets: he deserves to lose his job, PERIOD. There has to be some way, some how that they can prosecute Wicker... this is a "keeping the public safe" issue and to let it go like that is VERY dangerous.

Nestled Deep in Southern Hospitality
    I do not like Paul Howard. If he thinks there is the slightest chance he will lose a case he won't try it.

They need a new DA.

"Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Atlanta GA
    This case has been completely f-ed up since day 1! Excuse my language, but there are no other words for it.

The woman who refuses to accept that she might have been wrong about Pete Williams is delusional. While I would understand her unwillingness to testify, her insistence that Wicker could not have been her rapist provides reasonable doubt and, ironically, almost guarantees that she would be called to the stand BY THE DEFENSE. If she just said she didn't know, they could probably try the bastard without involving her at all. But she won't.

I'm not sure what I would do at this point, but Wicker definitely needs to be on the RSO list.