AL AL - Daniel Barter, 4, Perdido Bay, 18 June 1959

meggilyweggily

Reaction score
Website
www.charleyproject.org
http://www.charleyproject.org/images/b/barter_daniel.jpg http://www.charleyproject.org/images/b/barter_daniel_ap.jpg

Missing Since: June 18, 1959 from Perdido Bay, Alabama
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: December 12, 1954
Height and Weight: 3'0, 50 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Barter was last seen playing near the banks of Perdido Bay, Alabama on June 18, 1959. He was only wearing shorts at the time. He has never been heard from again. Investigators believe Barter was abducted by a non-family member.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barter_daniel.html

He looks so darn cute in that picture and I wonder what happened to him. I've gone to all the usual resources, NewsLibrary etc, trying to find more information about his disappearance but turned up absolutely zilch. And at this point, I doubt Daniel would even remember his old life and know he was missing...sigh.

his bio gives little info on when he went missing he vanished and was never heard from again? do they have any suspects at 4 he would have been to young to remember his old life so he could very well be still alive the older you get the harder it is to forget memories often leaving kidnapers to do horrided things if anyone has any more info let me kno

I'm from that area, I wonder what makes them think he was abducted as opposed to drowned? A four year old on the shores of that water could drown very easily. Calling it a bay may make it seem like rather calm water, but I can assure you, its not, and it leads directly to the Gulf of Mexico.

That's actually my theory too, once I found out where Perdido Bay was. (Never been there though.) But the fact that it's on the NCMEC is indicative that the police don't believe Daniel drowned. There are many, many children who are missing and presumed dead as a result of natural disasters -- I can think of half a dozen right off the top of my head -- and the NCMEC generally does not profile them, with a few exceptions.

If the family was really insistant, would they have put it on there anyway? Like with most natural disasters someone knows what happened, they were seen falling in etc. But if there's a small chance that he didn't fall in, they have to put it as possible abduction? Even if there's a 90% chance he drowned? Because no one saw him I mean.

On a Wednesday morning in June 47 years ago, Daniel Barter, six months shy of his 5th birthday, vanished along the banks of Perdido Bay.

In the days that followed, Danny, as he was known to his family, became the subject of one of the most intense searches in Baldwin County's history.

The manhunt included several hundred volunteers and emergency personnel, the U.S. Navy, a trio of prize-winning bloodhounds, helicopters, skin divers, mounted posses and even hunters who stalked alligators and sliced open their bellies searching for signs of the 3-foot-tall boy from Mobile.

In the years since Danny disappeared from his family's Lillian-area campsite, relatives have waited fruitlessly for answers.

"My parents are both buried but I know where, I can visit the cemetery," said Theresa White of Victoria, Texas, who wasn't yet 2 at the time of her brother's disappearance. "With Danny, we just don't know."

Said Wanda McNelly of Fort Worth, Texas, who was 8 when her baby brother went missing: "We don't care if it's bad or good news, we just want to know after all these years."

http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1166955513184370.xml&coll=3

Thanks for sharing that, it is a very interesting article and shows the great lengths the searchers went into trying to find him. I am glad it is a very recent article (today) as it shows Danny has not been forgotten. He was such a cute little boy. I hope his siblings get answers someday.

the one thing the article doesn't say is if there were any other people around their campsite or the beach where danny was. if there was no undercurrent that might have sucked him under (if he waded in) & taken him into a deeper area of water.. then i am thinking that a gator snapped him up, and it was never found. just because they hunted down some gators & killed them doesn't mean they necessarily got the right one. that one may have gone farther away or deeper underwater. i just don't see any other explanation. you'd think they would see prints of the gator, and maybe a mark in the sand where he was dragged into the water, but if it happened in a swampy or grassy area there may have been no tracks to see.

and maybe they didn't hear him scream because he could have been in shock or the gator could have grabbed him by the head or neck. i am imagining him kneeling down close to the water, near some grass where a hungry gator was hiding out, and he was exploring something close up, distracted & not paying attention, until it was too late.

nicbok said:
If the family was really insistant, would they have put it on there anyway?
I guess it's possible he was put on the missing database because no body was ever found even though drowning is the most plausible theory. I have seen at least two entries in a missing persons database (don't remember which one) that stated "possible drowning victim" as most likely cause of disappearance, mainly because these individuals had been last seen near water. In another case a woman is still listed as missing even though a single set of footprints leading from a towel on the beach to the water were found, making it very likely that she did indeed drown.

Here's why I think it's likely that Danny was kidnapped:

Danny didn't like the water, and there were no footprints leading into the bay.
http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1166955513184370.xml&coll=3&thispage=2

After the disappearance, Maxine Barter told her daughters about a string of incidents occurring before Danny disappeared that involved shady figures lurking around the Barters' Thrush Drive home in Mobile. Once, the sisters said, a peeping Tom was nearly caught staring into Danny's bedroom window.
http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1166955513184370.xml&coll=3&thispage=3

But unfortunately, we may never know the truth...

barter_daniel.jpg
barter_daniel_ap.jpg

Missing Since: June 18, 1959 from Perdido Bay, Alabama
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: December 12, 1954
Height and Weight: 3'0, 50 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Barter's nickname is Danny.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Only gray boxer shorts.

Details of Disappearance

Barter was last seen playing near the banks of Perdido Bay, Alabama at 9:30 a.m. on June 18, 1959. He resided in the 1700 block of Thrush Drive in Mobile, Alabama at the time, and had gone camping at Perdido Bay with his parents, some of his six siblings, an uncle and two cousins. He apparently wandered away from the rest of his family while his parents were preparing some fishing equipment. His mother began searching for him ten or fifteen minutes after she last saw him, but was unable to locate him. He has never been heard from again.

The area Barter disappeared from is swampy and infested with alligators and snakes. Authorities investigated the theory that the child had been attacked by an animal. They even killed and gutted two alligators to look for human remains, but found no evidence of such an attack. His mother stated he did not like the water and she does not believe he would have gone into the bay voluntarily. An extensive search of the region, on both land and water, turned up no sign of Barter or his remains. After the search turned up no evidence, investigators looked into the possibility that Barter was abducted, but they were never able to find any clues supporting this theory.

Barter's parents and siblings moved to Texas after his disappearance. His parents have died, but his brothers and sisters are all alive and still hope his case may be resolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Baldwin County Sheriff's Office
205-937-0200

NCMEC

50th anniversary of 4-year-old Danny Barter's 1959 disappearance along Perdido Bay, Alabama.

On a Wednesday morning at a campsite on the eastern banks of Perdido Bay, the Barter family — parents Maxine and Paul, four of their six children, an uncle and a cousin — was on vacation, camping on a Lillian-area lot where they planned to one day build a home. At about 9:45 a.m., they noticed Danny was gone. There was no trace of him, not the gray boxer shorts he was wearing, not the Nehi soda bottle he was drinking from, not the footprints his bare feet would have left on the beach had he wandered into the bay.

The bottom of the bay was dragged; sinkholes and thickets were scoured. On the third day, bloodhounds were brought to the scene. They repeatedly tracked the boy's scent to the same spot on a nearby road. Dynamite was tossed into the bay in hopes of jarring a body loose. Alligators were hunted down and gutted, their insides examined for traces of the child.

Today abduction is the prevailing theory, giving Barter's family and investigators hope that the boy who disappeared nearly a half-century ago might turn up somewhere as a grown man with a lot to learn about himself. The FBI has become involved, helping local detectives conduct out-of-state interviews.

If no footprints of his were found, why do they think abduction -- no prints at all??

I'd be willing to bet that a gator ate him whole. A big enough one could easily do that. There'd be no scream, no nothing.

I know a guy whose 19-year old cousin was eaten by a crocodile in Zambia in 1997. They only ever found an arm and part of a leg in that case.

All it would take would be to get close enough to the water that the gator could make that quick attack.

They said no footprints were left on the beach... but they didn't say their were no footprints anywhere. They also said that bloodhounds "tracked the boy's scent to the same spot on a nearby road."

You are a bloodthirsty creature, aren't you?!! LOL!

Interesting that this case was bumped up today. As it happens, I am currently visiting family in Lillian, Alabama and have crossed over Perdido Bay several times since arriving here.

Perdido Bay is a large body of water fed by numerous rivers and streams. It empties into the gulf of Mexico. It is the western boundry line between Florida's Pan Handle and Alabama. There is a long bridge across the bay and Highway 98 (Pensacola, FL to Mobile, AL) is the road which it is part of. Pretty easy to find on maps.

I do not have any more information on this case, but will see if I can find out something more about it during my visit. I have not seen any gators down here, although I am sure that there are a few around.

Police rekindle interest in cold case

Investigators hope to jog memories of Danny Barter's 1959 disappearance along Perdido Bay

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 By RYAN DEZEMBER
Staff Reporter for Mobile Register

ROBERTSDALE — With the 50th anniversary of 4-year-old Danny Barter's disappearance approaching, investigators are renewing their interest in one of Baldwin County's most vexing cold cases.

On Tuesday, two of Barter's sisters traveled from Texas to Robertsdale, where Baldwin County Sheriff Huey "Hoss" Mack Jr. and one of his top detectives told them and members of the local Rotary Club that local and federal investigators are putting the case back on the front burner.

The Sheriff's Office is also pushing to bring national media attention to the unsolved disappearance in hopes of generating leads in the clueless case of a toddler who vanished from the shores of Perdido Bay in 1959.

"As we approach the 50th anniversary, it is still likely that Daniel Barter is alive somewhere in the United States not knowing he is Daniel Barter," Mack told the Robertsdale Rotary Club over lunch at Mama Lou's Restaurant. "This is a great mystery in Baldwin County."

Mack and Capt. Steve Arthur said that one difficulty in working the case is that there have never been credible leads in the case.

"There's no evidence that links this to anything because there is no evidence," Arthur said.

About a decade ago, Mack, who was the Sheriff's Office lead detective, said he was asked by then-Sheriff James B. "Jimmy" Johnson to pull the case file on Danny Barter. When he went looking, he found there was none.

Nowadays, a missing child case would generate a file that would overwhelm a kitchen table, Mack said.

In 1959, however, case files in rural Baldwin County were stored in the heads of detectives, or perhaps on a scrap of paper in a lawman's pocket. As such, the sheriff said, records of Barter's disappearance and the subsequent investigation exist solely in dusty newspaper clippings and the memories of family members, like sisters Wanda McNelly and Theresa White.

The story that those clippings tell starts 49 years ago on a Wednesday morning at a campsite on the eastern banks of Perdido Bay.

The Barter family — parents Maxine and Paul, four of their six children, an uncle and a cousin — was on vacation, camping on a Lillian-area lot where they planned to one day build a home. At about 9:45 a.m., they noticed Danny was gone. There was no trace of him, not the gray boxer shorts he was wearing, not the Nehi soda bottle he was drinking from, not the footprints his bare feet would have left on the beach had he wandered into the bay.

By afternoon, some 150 people were searching on foot, by boat and from the air. There were Baldwin County sheriff's deputies, Foley firefighters, volunteers and enlisted men from Pensacola Naval Air Station.

The following day, there were about 500 searchers. The bottom of the bay was dragged; sinkholes and thickets were scoured. On the third day, bloodhounds were brought to the scene. They repeatedly tracked the boy's scent to the same spot on a nearby road.

By the weekend, the search grew more grim: Dynamite was tossed into the bay in hopes of jarring a body loose. Alligators were hunted down and gutted, their insides examined for traces of the child.

Danny Barter was terrified of water, and so for years many in law enforcement — ruling out an accidental drowning — supposed he was stealthily snatched by an alligator. There were some who thought that he may have been abducted, but aside from the parents' recollection of a peeping Tom in their Mobile neighborhood and a suspicious man at a Lillian grocery store, there was nothing to convince investigators that Barter was kidnapped, Mack said.

Today, though, abduction is the prevailing theory, giving Barter's family and investigators hope that the boy who disappeared nearly a half-century ago might turn up somewhere as a grown man with a lot to learn about himself.

As such, the Sheriff's Office has started asking around for those who recall the disappearance, looking for new clues to surface. The FBI has become involved, helping local detectives conduct out-of-state interviews, Arthur said. And Mack said there has been a drive to get nationally televised crime shows to take an interest in the case.

Even the use of a medium has been contemplated, Arthur said, though costs have so far prevented a psychic from being hired.

On Tuesday, Arthur, Mack and Barter's sisters urged their audience to take the story to friends and neighbors, to make the case the talk of the town in hopes of turning up forgotten details.

"Time is of the essence; we're not getting any younger," Mack said. "In cases like this it's often the things you don't think are important that turn out to be important."

They said no footprints were left on the beach... but they didn't say their were no footprints anywhere. They also said that bloodhounds "tracked the boy's scent to the same spot on a nearby road."

You are a bloodthirsty creature, aren't you?!! LOL!

LOL, not particularly, but having been to Africa and seen "alpha predators" first hand, it gives me pause as to what it feels like to be lower on the food chain. :)

Daniel Barter
Missing since June 18, 1959 from Perdido Bay, Baldwin County, Alabama.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: December 12, 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 50 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: Grey boxer shorts.
AKA: Danny
Oher: DNA available
Circumstances of Disappearance

Barter was last seen playing near the banks of Perdido Bay, AL.

At the bayside campsite were the boy's parents, three brothers, an uncle and two cousins.

It was just about 9:45 a.m. and the family was preparing equipment for a fishing trip when they realized Danny was gone. About 15 minutes had passed since his brothers had last seen him near the campsite's small beach. He had spent the night in his uncle's car with the other children and he was barefoot, still wearing the gray boxer shorts he slept in.

The search for Danny started at the beach, a few miles north of the U.S. 98 bridge into Florida. Danny didn't like the water, and there were no footprints leading into the bay.

The search included several hundred volunteers and emergency personnel, the U.S. Navy, a trio of prize-winning bloodhounds, helicopters, skin divers, mounted posses and even hunters who stalked alligators and sliced open their bellies searching for signs of the boy.

The case remained open for years, but no leads ever emerged. Barter has never been seen again.

Investigators
If you have any information on Barter's whereabouts, please contact:
Baldwin County Sheriff's Office
Missing Persons Unit
205-937-0200

NCMEC #: NCMC600229
NCIC Number: M-204488841

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Mobile Register 12/24/06
Find Danny Soon
Doenetwork Case File 18DMAL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/18dmal.html

The Charley Project: Daniel Barter

... of Daniel Barter, missing since June 18, 1959 from Perdido Bay, Alabama. ... His mother, Maxine Barter, began searching for him ten or fifteen minutes ...
LINK:
www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barter_daniel.html

Daniel Barter-missing « Remember the Innocents

Four year-old, brown hair, brown-eyed, Daniel Barter disappeared from Perdido Bay, Alabama on Jun 18, 1959. Barter was last seen playing near the banks of ...
LINK:
remembertheinnocents.wordpress.com/category/daniel-barter-missing/

Crime & Justice > Daniel Barter June 18 1959 AL

Investigators hope to jog memories of Danny Barter's 1959 disappearance along Perdido Bay Wednesday, July 16, 2008By RYAN DEZEMBERStaff Reporter ...
LINK:
www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t12382.html

DANIEL BARTER

http://www.bannerkids.org/states/alabama/DANIEL_BARTER.htm · Daniel Barter. Copy and paste this Banner at the top of your Website. ...
LINK:
www.bannerkids.org/states/alabama/DANIEL_BARTER.htm

findmywayhome.org :: View topic - Daniel Barter (4) - Perdido Bay ...

Missing Since: June 18, 1959 from Perdido Bay, Alabama ... Barter's parents and siblings moved to Texas after his disappearance. His parents have died, ...
LINK:
findmywayhome.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98&sid=813b5cf369138af37c88cb96f600be22

Daniel Barter - Pipl Profile

5 quick facts about Daniel Barter:. Daniel Barter was last seen in Alabama in 1959... Source: The Doe Network: Unexplained Disappearances; ...
LINK:
pipl.com/directory/people/Daniel/Barter

MISSING CHILD DANIEL BARTER - Missing Children - If a photo of a ...

MISSING CHILD DANIEL BARTER Click on the Picture of Daniel to view a printable flyer. ... Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office (Alabama) - Missing Persons Unit ...
LINK:
missingchildrenblog.com/2007/03/10/missing-child-daniel-barter/

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children for Alabama, USA ...

DANIEL BARTER, Age Now: 53, Missing: 06/18/1959. ... HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT: Baldwin County Sheriff's Office (Alabama) - Missing Persons Unit. ...
LINK:
missingkids.idribble.com/usa/alabama/

Daniel Barter Missing — Blogs, Pictures, and more on WordPress

Danny in 1959 Age-progressed to 46, circa 2000 The Case: Four year-old, brown hair, brown-eyed, ... Find other items tagged with “daniel-barter-missing”: ...

LINK:
wordpress.com/tag/daniel-barter-missing/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam