FL - Summer Wolfe, 2, killed when dad let 12yo drive, Largo, 22 May 2004

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
LARGO, Fla. (AP) - A 2-year-old girl was run over and killed when she chased after her father, who was letting a 12-year-old boy drive a car in a parking lot.

The boy was getting his first chance to drive Saturday. The idea was to clear a parking area at the apartment complex to give kids a place to play outside. The victim's three older siblings were at a party celebrating their neighbor's eighth birthday in Largo, 20 miles west of Tampa.

Summer Wolfe was knocked down by the passenger door when the car in which her father sat lurched backward, and she fell under the front wheel. She was pronounced dead after being airlifted with her mother to Bayfront Medical Center.

Kevin Wolfe lost control when he was told his youngest child was dead.

``He punched the closet really hard,'' said Darrington Miller, 13. ``He went to the kitchen and swept all the knives and forks and plates and everything'' to the floor.

Police questioned the 12-year-old boy but did not file charges. Investigators said the boy was driving with Wolfe's approval but did not have control of the car.
http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/st...ff/story/0001/20040523/1308548319.htm&sc=1110

I wonder what will happen to the father legally.

It makes me think of the cases when parents leave children in hot cars and the children die. In some cases no charges are brought in others jail time or probation is given.

One lapse in judgement and your baby is dead................

MysteryMomma said:
I wonder what will happen to the father legally.

It makes me think of the cases when parents leave children in hot cars and the children die. In some cases no charges are brought in others jail time or probation is given.

One lapse in judgement and your baby is dead................

They may want to make an example of this guy and take him to trial. I can't see that NOT happening. What I'm not sure about is whether they'll ask for heavy jail time or community service/probation. Its just too sad for words. I can't believe someone could be so careless.

Something like this happened to some school friends of mine a long time ago. Two brother, fraternal twins. I met them in 6th grade and it happened before then, but how far before I don't remember. One was in the car and they were washing it I think, and one ran the other over. The one that was run over had some kind of leg injury that caused him to limp. I can't imagine how the brother who had backed the car up felt whenever he saw the other's limp. Very sad.

From 2012:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...sburg-man-in-valentines-day-robberies/1215720

Wolfe, 37, is suspected in three early Tuesday robberies in which deputies say he drove his mother's minivan into the backs of other cars, waited for the motorists to get out and survey the damage and then robbed them...

Wolfe was the subject of front-page news stories in 2004 after he allowed a 12-year-old boy to drive his car... He later was charged with manslaughter in connection with the girl's death, but was acquitted by a jury the next year.

A few days after the acquittal, Wolfe was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after he threw an urn containing Summer's ashes across a parking lot after a drunken argument with his wife.

He threw the urn with her ashes? Oh my word. I'm speechless.

I bet he has stayed drunk since the accident. Here's to hoping that he is coping. I don't think I could. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back