Defending a pathological/habitual liar

Clock's Tickin

Reaction score
How do you do it? Where do you begin? If you are a lawyer and all of your evidence opposes your client's claims, how do you even put something together that will A) defend your client AND B) abide by your client's instruction??

If KC sticks with her ZG defense, how on earth can the Dream Team support that? Or do they? Do they go in another direction and explain KC away as a pathology so she never has to testify?

Good question. I am always amazed when JB says, "My client is innocent." I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I couldn't do it. I know one, and it is exhausting be around or even thinking about them.

He could always try Mark G's line...........My client may be a liar and a cad but that doesn't make them a murderer (not a direct quote)....or something close to that. Other than that suggestion, I am afraid I have no aid or comfort to offer the defense in this case. :)

I'm glad it's not me that has to defend her because I can't think of anything that could be said in her defense.

Maybe after everyone gets what they want out of this circus JB will just fall on the sword and cry liar!!! But then, he may get shredded by those wanting him off this case and a more experienced attorney appointed in his place (who knows who but I'm sure lawyers are slobbering to get this case, sure looks that way anyway) and this could shoot off in a new direction.

OH - edited to add: Defending?? Looks impossible to me.

crime statistics suggest that it is rare for a person to go from petty theft and lying to murder. i think with the evidence as presented right now, casey's defense doesn't need to come up with a plausible nanny story. they just need to come up with a plausible story where casey isn't the last person to have had caylee and that a traumatic event made her block out who really took her and maybe they should look to the film evidence as provided by casey's mother to see who that last person is most likely to be.
i'm not saying it's right, but i'm saying they don't need any nanny story to create reasonable doubt.

Maybe after everyone gets what they want out of this circus JB will just fall on the sword and cry liar!!! But then, he may get shredded by those wanting him off this case and a more experienced attorney appointed in his place (who knows who but I'm sure lawyers are slobbering to get this case, sure looks that way anyway) and this could shoot off in a new direction.

OH - edited to add: Defending?? Looks impossible to me.

JB doesn't seem to me to be the 'falling on his sword' type. Maybe if he stumbled and tripped over something.

KC pleads the fifth in the civil case and will probably do the same with the criminal case therefore, the evidence will need to speak for itself. This defense team is in for the ride of their life because KC has created the fantasy that a pathological liar does.

If the defense team were smart, they could/would encourage her to confess and hope for a little leniency from the court for the cooperation but if they push the envelope with the "my client is innocent" and "she wants her day in court to be heard", there will be no mercy. I'm afraid once the results from these latest tests are back, the DP may be coming back to the table. I hope as her defense team, they can see that there really is no way to defend a pathological liar against the hard evidence.

crime statistics suggest that it is rare for a person to go from petty theft and lying to murder. i think with the evidence as presented right now, casey's defense doesn't need to come up with a plausible nanny story. they just need to come up with a plausible story where casey isn't the last person to have had caylee and that a traumatic event made her block out who really took her and maybe they should look to the film evidence as provided by casey's mother to see who that last person is most likely to be.
i'm not saying it's right, but i'm saying they don't need any nanny story to create reasonable doubt.

Just FYI, stealing hundreds or even thousands of dollars isn't petty theft. In most places it's grand larceny and a felony to steal anything worth more than $200. That's not even mentioning other felony crimes involved here such as forgery and uttering.

I would guess that prosecutors could cite many cases where mothers murdered their children without having committed any other crime before. But that's not the case here at all. Casey has quite a history of committing crimes although most of the earlier thefts were against her family members and they did nothing.

This is an interesting thread, at first I thought it was going to discuss GA & CA "defending" KC their precious pathological/habitual liar. As for JB, I don't think he realized what he was in for!

If KC sticks with her ZG defense, how on earth can the Dream Team support that? Or do they? Do they go in another direction and explain KC away as a pathology so she never has to testify?

snipped

My guess is.. JB and company will decide what to go with and KC will say OK, just get me off. If she testifies, I will personally eat glass, kiss a pig, and take a gatorade bath.

snipped

My guess is.. JB and company will decide what to go with and KC will say OK, just get me off. If she testifies, I will personally eat glass, kiss a pig, and take a gatorade bath.

OK! I do not want you to be accused of being another person to profit off this case, natsound, but I would pay to see you do all three! LOL! (well, maybe not the glass, how about a worm instead)

here, let me simplify for you....throw CA under the bus :)

KC pleads the fifth in the civil case and will probably do the same with the criminal case therefore, the evidence will need to speak for itself. This defense team is in for the ride of their life because KC has created the fantasy that a pathological liar does.

If the defense team were smart, they could/would encourage her to confess and hope for a little leniency from the court for the cooperation but if they push the envelope with the "my client is innocent" and "she wants her day in court to be heard", there will be no mercy. I'm afraid once the results from these latest tests are back, the DP may be coming back to the table. I hope as her defense team, they can see that there really is no way to defend a pathological liar against the hard evidence.

Where I come from, if an accused person decides to give evidence at their criminal trial, they can't plead the 5th. You either jump in the box or exercise your right to silence. I'm not sure if it's the same in Florida???

For all we know, JB has tried very hard to get her to take a deal and she is adamant she wants to take her chances at trial ...IIRC, he wrote a letter to the SA many months ago about that, and the letter made its way into the press.

Where I come from, if an accused person decides to give evidence at their criminal trial, they can't plead the 5th. You either jump in the box or exercise your right to silence. I'm not sure if it's the same in Florida???

For all we know, JB has tried very hard to get her to take a deal and she is adamant she wants to take her chances at trial ...IIRC, he wrote a letter to the SA many months ago about that, and the letter made its way into the press.

She really thinks she is going to get out of this, like her parents have always gotten her out of her crimes before.

You repeat whatever she tells you to repeat like a puppet.
You do not take into cinsideration the facts.

You just go along with it like she is the BOSS of a big Conglomerate.

She is the BOSS....:behindbar

here, let me simplify for you....throw CA under the bus :)

Not implausible, IMO. I'm sure the perp will happily go with that.

The perp needs to confess. Cause I don't see the defence getting out from under her lies, and the lies of Cindy, George and Lee.

I just don't do it. I couldn't.
But, I think JB is doing it exactly the way he thinks it should be done. I don't think for a moment that JB feels his client is going to get off. But, what he's doing, kinda' like how Geragos represented SP, with arrogant pronouncements, ridiculous declarations of their client's innocence, talking down to the public, promises of a full exoneration through evidence, numerous, silly motions - all of that is typical b.s. that attracts guilty parties to such an attorney. They want someone who will fight hard for them. This conduct looks like "fighting hard". Guilty people will contact JB for assistance regardless of whether casey gets off or not, because they will recognize his name and how he was on t.v. fighting for his client. It's a sleazy game IMO.

It has been established that Casey lied about things that are irrelevant and unimportant to everyone around her. That in itself is not a crime, just an annoyance. Her friends seemed to accept this as part of her personality, but were very aware of her lies. I think they didn't take Casey very seriously.

But when it came to something of the utmost importance - her daughter's very life, Casey told the biggest lies of all. And admitted that she lied. And it's on tape. And she was charged with lying about it. I see no way around that fact, except to plea bargain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back