MI - Mom 'cooks me in the oven like a turkey'

SoobsinMI

Reaction score
http://www.freep.com/article/200902...ven+like+a+turkey+++Hamtramck+woman+arraigned

Hamtramck Police Detective Ben Bielecki said Valentino asked police in her 911 call to come get her.

“She said, ‘I’m going to hurt my family,’” Bielecki explained. “When our guys got there, it was pretty bad.”

While the father had gone to pick the two boys up from school, Valentino used either a nail or a screwdriver heated over the stove to burn the 4-year-old girl’s lower eyelid. Then she put the girl in the turned-on oven, creating sear lines on her back from the oven’s interior.

“She said that her heart’s hurt and broke,” the 4-year-old told police, according to Bielecki.

The girl, the detective said, also told police that: “ ‘Mommy doesn’t love me anymore. Mama’s going to hurt me again. She hurts me with a nail and cooks me in the oven like a turkey.’”

Valentino’s other daughter told investigators her mother once hit her with a crowbar. All five children are now in foster care and doing fine, Bielecki said. He said the 4-year-old’s wounds are healing and she’s doing well, too.

Every time I think I've heard it all and it can't get any worse than this....IT DOES! What is wrong with today's society? Those poor children,that little girl was being cooked like a turkey what in the he!! was her mother thinking.

I am just speechless. How could anyone do such horrible things? Put her in the oven, turn it on and lock her in.

Good Lord! GOD bless these children. I hope that this woman never gets custody of ,or even gets unsupervised visits with, these poor children ever again. She should never be allowed to see them again.

That is beyond words terrible. It's a miracle this little girl even lived.

Wasn't it the 'mother' that called out for help? It appears that she's mentally ill and thank goodness she realized it before it was too late. Seems she needs a hospital room, not a jail cell, imho.

I feel terrible for the children and I'm sure it's going to take many years to recover from what they've been put through. Hopefully, their mom can get the treatment she needs and they can some day be a family again,.........or at least 'friends.'

It's too bad her husband didn't realize what was going on. Or did he and just didn't say anything? Makes you wonder.

Bless those poor children. They're safe now, thank goodness.

JMHO
fran

The mother must have been alert and sane enough to fool the dad about the children's injuries. If he knew and did nothing, then he needs to go to jail. The mother needs to go to a state mental hospital, then to jail IMO. Mentally ill children are arrested at schools all the time for acting up, so some mentally ill adult shouldn't get away with physically hurting a child.

Wasn't it the 'mother' that called out for help? It appears that she's mentally ill and thank goodness she realized it before it was too late. Seems she needs a hospital room, not a jail cell, imho.
JMHO
fran

It does sound like the mother is mentally ill. In the article, it says the 4 year old went next door and asked them to call 911, but it also states the mother called. She has four children under the age of 6 - I fear this is another Andrea Yates, though thankfully, the children are alive.

Words fail me.

In sorry I have nothing else to say, I just don't have the words

:(

Being the mother of a four year old it just killed me to read that the little girl said her heart was hurt. The mother had to be mentally ill, thank god she called and got help before she killed one of them. Poor little babies. I hope they forget.

Not all parents that hurt their children are mentally ill some are just evil.

Being the mother of a four year old it just killed me to read that the little girl said her heart was hurt. The mother had to be mentally ill, thank god she called and got help before she killed one of them. Poor little babies. I hope they forget.

I think the little girl said that her mother said her "heart's hurt and broke." This case is so disturbing -- a little preschooler being baked in the oven by her mom. But, I'm with you; thank goodness this mom called 911 on herself. I hope she's never allowed around any children ever again. I do think she must be insane (because the sane ones don't report themselves -- they want to get away with it.)

omg...that's horrendous...all these poor babies...it just breaks the heart & boggles the mind :(

All of these babies will be in my prayers. I am glad that the mother called 911, this could have been even more tragic. I hope that those precious kids are never given back to her.

OMG, I am speechless! :(

I am a foster mom, so I hear things that just so blow my mind often about how children are mistreated & abused -- but this is just terrible, way beyond my comprehension.

I hope these kids are kept in a safe, healthy, nurturing place and are able to have a normal life. So sad...

I hope that this child and her siblings get the therapy they need to move past this abuse. It breaks my heart that these children experienced this from their Mother.

I hope these children recover and send them prayers.

I am glad mom acted on her impulse to call for help, otherwise that little girl might not have lived.

I also think this mom should be used as an example of WHAT TO DO when you think you are losing your mind. To me, it is obvious that this mom did love her children, however the only thing that will tell you that is her phone call to 911. If Andrea Yates had called 911 her children may still be alive.

So I guess the message I'm trying to get out here is that it is OKAY to call 911 if you feel like you are going crazy! Don't wait until you do something crazy, call NOW. Call the minute you think something is wrong, especially if you are with, or in charge of, someone who is vulnerable to your craziness. Be it a child, a disabled person or a senior citizen. Don't hurt them, just call 911.

That is what I would like to see on all the billboards around town. Maybe we could get to some of these cases earlier, before anyone is hurt or dies.

Salem

Absolutely horrendous, my prayers for all of the children to heal, emotionally as well as physically. I'm so glad this mother realized that she needed help before she killed anyone, it's just a shame she didn't make the call before she hurt them at all.

My bold ~
Absolutely horrendous, my prayers for all of the children to heal, emotionally as well as physically. I'm so glad this mother realized that she needed help before she killed anyone, it's just a shame she didn't make the call before she hurt them at all.

You are absolutely right. It would have been so much better if she could have gotten help at the very beginning. I feel badly for these children and really, really hope they get the love and attention they need.

Salem

Update:

http://freep.com/article/20090212/NEWS02/90212027/Mom++Schizophrenia+made+her+put+daughter+in+oven

A schizophrenic episode led a 40-year-old Hamtramck woman to put her 4-year-old in an oven, she said at court this morning.

“I love my children,” Reyna Valentino said as she arrived at 31st District Court in Hamtramck for her hearing on two counts of torture and two counts of child abuse. “I have schizophrenia.”

As Valentino was waiting for the hearing to start, Randy Valentino, her husband of 10 years, held handwritten notes he prepared for reporters he expected to show up for his wife’s hearing.

Without medical coverage and unable to afford prescriptions on their own, Reyna had been off her medication for schizophrenia for three or four months when she put Emma, 4, in an oven Jan. 23, Randy Valentino said.

“Reyna did not do this,” Randy said about his wife, a native of Mexico whom he met 10 years ago when they both worked at a Livonia thrift store. “This is the illness. Schizophrenia is a horrible, horrible illness that can make someone do things and say things they would never otherwise say or do.”

The couple’s five children – Randy, 8; Benjamin, 7; Isabella, 5; Emma, 4, and Fernando, 9 months – are all now in foster care.

“It will tear your soul out of you,” said Randy, who’s been doing odd jobs to support his family, tears filling his eyes as he waited for his wife’s hearing to begin. “Within a week’s time, I lost my wife and all my children.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back