746 users online (175 members and 571 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Medical board revokes license of abortion doctor

A Florida agency has revoked the license of a doctor accused of medical malpractice in a botched abortion in which authorities say a live baby was placed in the trash.

More at link:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Just out of curiousity what does the law say in FL about how many weeks along a female can be and still obtain an abortion?
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Just out of curiousity what does the law say in FL about how many weeks along a female can be and still obtain an abortion?
    It is badly worded with terms like "post-viability" and "third trimester" - which are not mutually exclusive. The third trimester is generally accepted to begin during the 27th week. At least a few weeks past the point of viability, as proven by this case (and several people I know who were born before that point and are now alive and walking around), FWIW.

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/choi...=alllawdetails

Florida's post-viability restriction provides that no abortion may be performed in the third trimester of pregnancy unless two physicians certify in writing that the abortion is necessary to preserve the woman's life or health. If an abortion is performed during viability, the physician must "use that degree of professional skill, care, and diligence" most likely to preserve the life and health of the fetus except that "the woman's life and health shall constitute an overriding and superior consideration to the concern for the life and health of a fetus when such concerns are in conflict." Fla. Stat. Ann. 390.0111(1), (4) (Enacted 1978; Last Amended 1998; Last Renumbered 1998).

Thank you for the information angelmom. You're right it is badly worded, I wonder if this case will cause them to clarify that statute.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

I wonder if the baby lived or they could just tell that it was alive when it was taken from the womb? The whole thing is sickening.

Bobbisangel this was in the article:

"Police found the infant's decomposing remains a week later.

A medical examiner determined the cause of death was extreme prematurity, the complaint states."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel View Post
    I wonder if the baby lived or they could just tell that it was alive when it was taken from the womb? The whole thing is sickening.
    I thought I read that they found air in the baby's lungs.

I have to say, abortions at 23 weeks, just turn my stomach. I believe in a woman's right to choose, although I wish there wasn't a "need" for abortions at all - however having one when you are more than 5 months pregnant, is repugnant, IMO. She had to have felt that baby kicking, and moving. I just don't understand. If she really didn't want it, she was more than half way through her pregnancy, why not choose adoption?

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Thank you for the information angelmom. You're right it is badly worded, I wonder if this case will cause them to clarify that statute.
    Unfortunately, many of these laws use the term "viability" so that they don't have to keep rewriting the laws as science makes it possible for a baby to survive being born earlier and earlier. There was a time not that long ago when it was believed that a baby born during the second trimester didn't have a chance.

But when you use vague terms like that, it leaves a wide hole of discretion for an unethical doctor to drive through and murder a perfectly viable and healthy baby. Cases like this probably happen more than we would ever want to imagine. They are just not found.

It's disgusting.

Unhappy FL - 2009.02.05 Update: Florida Clinic Threw Out Live Baby July 2006

The state attorney's homicide division is investigating, though no charges have been filed, a spokeswoman with the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office, said this week that prosecutors were nearing a decision.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,488644,00.html

I feel like I am gonna puke.

Unfreakin'believable

What is wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    I feel like I am gonna puke.

Unfreakin'believable

What is wrong with people?
    After reading this I've recommitted myself to pray for guidance. What should I personally be doing to change things. To do nothing...as I have been resigned to doing...is just unacceptable anymore.

Ezryder9 is offline Yes it's a Harley and no, you can't ride it!
    Bond, I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for posting this. After the trials and tribulations of the Caylee case, and little missing Adji, and now missing Haleigh, I was praying I had finally seen the worst of atrocities perpetrated upon children. Now this. I'm struggling to decide which I think is the worst, and I cannot arrive at an answer.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm embracing your last comments. I've always thought I was doing an okay job, because my daughter grew up. Her son, my only grandson, is the absolute light of my life. My life has been blessed. Well, I now realize, that all these many years I've been selfish, and believe me, I never thought of myself that way.

It IS time to somehow strive for change. Nothing is not an option any longer.
    Unless substantiated with a link, all comments are nothing more than my personal opinion. And opinions are like, well, noses; we all have one.

sadyjade is offline "I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you"
    I agree Bond .... I feel devestated for reading about this tragedy. I cannot imagine the nightmares this poor child will suffer from the rest of her life. Awful, just awful!

I honestly need to educate myself more about abortion laws in different states. I had no idea it was even legal to get an abortion at 23 weeks!! That seems really far along. I always thought it had to be done during the first trimester.

I am just shocked at reading this. Most abortion clinics do not condone this type of behavior. But I really wonder how many out there would do something similar??

I feel so sorry for the Mom in this case. She was totally betrayed by the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezryder9 View Post
    Bond, I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for posting this. After the trials and tribulations of the Caylee case, and little missing Adji, and now missing Haleigh, I was praying I had finally seen the worst of atrocities perpetrated upon children. Now this. I'm struggling to decide which I think is the worst, and I cannot arrive at an answer.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm embracing your last comments. I've always thought I was doing an okay job, because my daughter grew up. Her son, my only grandson, is the absolute light of my life. My life has been blessed. Well, I now realize, that all these many years I've been selfish, and believe me, I never thought of myself that way.

It IS time to somehow strive for change. Nothing is not an option any longer.
    There is Strength in Numbers......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast