NE - Alaina Beasley, 20, shot to death in her Lincoln home, 31 Jan 2009

Snick1946

Reaction score
Here's the link:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/39231342.html

Probably nothing much more to this sad story- but a couple of things bother me. I'd be interested in this point at comments if any from those reading the story, can provide additional links to other coverage if there is interest.

OK Snick, this is what I see....

The article states:

"Joshua Beasley told police that he forgot loading the 12-gauge shotgun."

and then goes on to state:

"When Beasley finished working on the gun, he told police, he loaded it with one round in the chamber and two in the magazine."

So, did he forget or what?

Second thing I see is...why pull the trigger? Dry firing a gun is never good and if you are just playing, why not vocalize "bang, your dead" or something.

I agree- the whole account has somethinig wrong with it. A couple of adults playing bang you're dead kid games? He 'forgets' he chambered a bullet. From all accounts this guy was into guns nearly his whole life.
Hate to say it but if I'm the cops here I'd be checking his hard drive to see if he had something else going.

Yep, agreed.

In this article: http://www.ketv.com/news/18639727/detail.html

it states: "The Web site shows several photos of the couple with guns. In one photo, six people point guns at the camera." With that sort of flippant behavior with guns, well....

Off to search for the website/blog.....

$10,000 bail??? That is a joke you've got to be kidding, the man shot his wife to death. I don't buy his story,either.

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=9801954&nav=menu606_24_9_1

New Details in Shooting Death of Lincoln Newlywed

"A Lincoln man now faces up to twenty years in prison for accidentally shooting and killing his new wife. Court documents show it happened while the 21-year-old was pretending to clear their apartment of intruders."

And:

"According to Joshua Beasley's statement, his twelve gauge shot gun wasn't ejecting shells properly on Saturday. After working on it, Beasley told investigators he loaded the gun with three rounds, then put some things away, and began pretending clear his apartment of intruders.

It's something Alaina wrote about in an Internet blog. She said, "Josh and I practice clearing the apartment in case an intruder were to come we have a plan of action in place."

That night according to the police affidavit, as Beasley rounded a corner to their kitchen, Alaina pointed her hand at Joshua, pretending to have a gun. Beasley then fired his shotgun at Alaina, hitting her in the shoulder.

Joshua Beasley told detectives he forgot the gun was loaded. Alaina Beasley died early Sunday morning at a Lincoln hospital, her husband by her side."

What the ?

I honestly could see how this could happen,.........he FORGOT he had the gun loaded. It's been proven in studies, sorry no link, that there are many accidental discharge incidents with people that are very experienced in fire arms. They become over-confident.

FWIW, I know someone this happened to,...........he FORGOT he'd chambered a shell when he ejected the clip. The gun did go off when he pulled the trigger, much to his chagrin. Fortunately, there was no one at the other end.

Prayers for this family. They're going to need it. What a horrible accident.

JMHO
fran

The local news blog on WOWT comments are now running in favor of this story being fishy. He changed his account of what happened, the area they live is low crime so why would they have been regularly drilling for 'intruders'?
If I understood correctly the shooter delieved the eulogy at the funeral, he's either very controlled or cold.
We haven't heard the last on this story- stay tuned.

$10,000 bail??? That is a joke you've got to be kidding, the man shot his wife to death. I don't buy his story,either.

FWIW, MeoW333, I do not buy this story either. I think he should be charged with murder.

Robert Nelson is a columnist for the Omaha World Herald; he is a former crime reporter for the Arizona Republic, he was very helpful to me in some inquiries I made for additional information on the Hunter/Sherman murders here (that's another thread).
Anyway I wish I could post his column today but it's only in the print edition. He points out that this event is being looked at differently because of who the shooter and victim are- if they were minorities living in inner city Omaha no one would be buying this.
I am not saying this was deliberate murder but at the very least I think this young man needs to do some time or a horrific amount of community service in lieu of a prison sentence.

From the family blog of longtime family friends:

"Josh got up to speak first during the sharing time. He quoted two passages in Job and said he didn't think this was such a good plan, but who was he to argue with his Maker. Josh could say that in their married life, he had no regrets."

I took this from http://thegradyfamilyarchives.blogspot.com/2009/02/alainas-funeral-our-memories.html. It was posted Feb 5, 2009. The writer is posting about the funeral and their recollections of it.

It strikes me as odd Josh would say he had no regrets if he accidentally killed his wife.

wow :( you know, I hate to read when families talk of how unjust sentences are. Just think, A can't sit in jail for 18 months...i'm sure her family would have loved to been given that option :(

I watched an interview with Josh as well and he seemed so devoid of emotion. Very hinky. Hopefully he'll have plenty of reflection time while he is in jail. When he is released from jail, he won't be allowed to own a gun, right?

I would hope he won't.
I just have to say something here and may get jumped on for it but here goes: I think this tragedy is a sad unintended result of well intentioned parents trying to shield their children from all of life's problems. Both Josh and his wife were home schooled from day one. I worked over 25 years in Social Services and have had some experience working with disturbed children and young people. many of these were home-schooled. It's a fine idea and will work if done right but somehow the kids lack something- socialization, feedback from peers when they do stupid things, whatever. Many turn out emotionaly stunted. Many are like Josh- something's just not there.
Here are a couple of kids living off their parents, neither working so far as I know but living in some fantasy world of a fairytale marriage, playing 'bang youre dead' games.
I just dont think this young man quite gets it yet. Why should he? He has never really lived on his own power. Sadly maybe what lies ahead may help mold him into a better person. It's just too bad his parents couldn't have done better by him.

Well, he had his day in court-

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/61248082.html

His family was interviewed on local news this evening, a brother was bawling about how this is 'so wrong' etc.

Seems about right to me. That is, assuming it was a dumb accident.

I think why the DA was willing to plea the case down even further than manslaughter is he thought the shooting was an accident. If he had intended to shoot and kill her he would not have shot her in the shoulder.

imo

I think why the DA was willing to plea the case down even further than manslaughter is he thought the shooting was an accident. If he had intended to shoot and kill her he would not have shot her in the shoulder.

imo

He may be a bad shot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth