Coast Guard: About 150 trapped on Lake Erie ice

Dark Knight

Reaction score
COLUMBUS, Ohio – About 150 people were trapped on a slab of ice about 8 miles wide that had broken free and floated away from the Ohio shoreline of Lake Erie, the Coast Guard said Saturday.

Coast Guard Petty Officer William Mitchell says about 55 had been rescued by mid-afternoon, and authorities were worried the ice floe could break up.

Several ships and helicopters from Toledo and Marblehead were sent to rescue the people from the ice floe. Coast Guard Petty Officer George Degener said there were no reports of injuries, but WTOL-TV in Toledo said one person was taken to a hospital after falling into the water.

Authorities said fishermen apparently used wooden pallets to create a bridge over a crack in the ice so they could go farther out on the lake. But the planks fell into the water when the ice shifted, stranding the fishermen about 1,000 yards off shore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090207/ap_on_re_us/ice_floe_fishermen

How stupid are they? If the ice was cracking it must be obvious it was breaking up. I have a hard time feeling sorry for them,but hope they all get off safely.

The sheriff is on the phone now with cnn, and boy oh boy he is P!ssed!!!! He estimates that the cost of rescuing all the people has reached 25000 or more and continuing to climb!

The sheriff is on the phone now with cnn, and boy oh boy he is P!ssed!!!! He estimates that the cost of rescuing all the people has reached 25000 or more and continuing to climb!

Well it certainly was preventable, I think, so I don't really blame him. I feel bad for the family of the person who died. The cost will have to go way past $25,000, I think. They sent ships from Toledo and Detroit plus Coast Guard and numerous helicopters, plus I saw pics of all of the rescuers and there were tons of them, as well. It will be very expensive, no question.

My ex goes ice fishing all the time, sometimes taking my 11 yo son. For those of you not familiar with how OBSESSED these men get with catching fish, it's absolutely ridiculous. I worry sick when he takes my son (which I can't stop :( ), even when the temperature is below freezing. There are always "stress cracks" in the ice. Why is it so important to catch fish? GIVE ME A BREAK :furious:

Luckily, my 13 yo son hates it, so he refuses to go (Thank GOD!) :crazy:

Here's obsessed for you, Only4Justice: Many went BACK the next day and fished AGAIN. The ones that went back out there the next day (and the article says it was even MORE dangerous the day after the rescue with warmer temps) should be fined for the amount of money for the rescue (IMO).

Blatant disrespect/rudeness to the people who risked their lives to save them and to the taxpayers who paid for it!!!! Rude, insensitive, and lacking common sense. Trying to find the article.

I can't believe the townspeople aren't outraged. I am, and I don't pay their taxes! I say let them fend for themselves next time (the people who went back out to FISH..some just were getting their belongings)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back