Much of USA's Valentine's candy came from Mexico

capoly

Reaction score
From jellied hearts to chocolates, Mexico's candy exports to the United States have more than doubled since 2002 as cheaper labor and sugar draw U.S. candy makers south of the border.

The latest arrival is Hershey, which is building a 1,500-employee factory in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey to replace plants it closed in the USA and Canada. It's following the lead of companies ranging from Brach's Confections, famous for its caramels, to Ferrera Pan Candy, the maker of Red Hots and Jawbusters.

Confectioners say they're trying to survive in a difficult business climate, but U.S. unions bemoan the loss of candy making jobs. "All these companies want to make it cheap overseas somewhere, then bring it back and sell it to our people who don't have any jobs to buy it," said Dennis Bomberger, business manager of Chocolate Workers Local 464 in Hershey, Pa.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-02-12-mexicosweets_N.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno

I suppose it's a good thing we don't buy much candy?

Do we know what union wages are for union workers in the candy field?

I understand what Mr. Bomberger is saying, and my only question is how do we bring (entice) these jobs back into the USA? Tax breaks and tax incentives are one way but what are some others?

I don't want people in Mexico (or anywhere else) to starve, but why would I still pay a 1.98 for a large candy bar made in Mexico when I know those same companies are only paying like 2 cents an hour for wages? I'm not really happy paying 1.98 for the same large candy bar when I might believe that union wages are 15$ an hour and as high as 32$ an hour and I believe that the union has priced us out of the water?

Can there ever be a "happy medium"? This economy is confusing the hell out of me.

Sorry for the ranting! (FWIW, both my husband and myself have worked with/in a union, have been self employed AND worked in the "mom and pop" sector of employment.)

They could move companies like this to areas of Texas where I live. There's never been any unions and they'd still be employing mostly Mexican folks who would send money home to their families in Mexico.

Another reason not to eat chocolate or other types of candy. The best way to bring jobs back to the USA, is to stop buying the crap from Mexico and China!:twocents:

Abdallah Chocolates - made in Burnsville, MN and at in Minneapolis. Great candy. Factory on site in Burnsville.

They only pay the workers $2.50 an hour there to work in the candy factory. Evidently there's a shortage of cacao, so Hershey and others go over there to cut their costs.

Actually, it's in our interest to have people in Mexico employed; then they don't feel they have to cross our borders illegally and find work over here.

Mexico doesn't take care of their own people much. I'd much rather buy from Mexico than from India, China or Thailand. But most of our women's clothing is made over there and sold here.

Ideally we should get our workers and businesses back over here, and give incentives to do so. The way it is now we buy everything from clothing to cars from other countries and they are getting RICH, while we have gotten POOR.

Where is Godiva chocolate made?

Where is Godiva chocolate made?

At one time (around 1991-1994) I believe Godiva was owned by Campbell's soup/Pepridge Farm, but I am not sure WHERE it was made. I would imagine it was made wherever it was least expensive? I know I'm not dead on with dates but Campbell's soup in Omaha, NE sold to a pickle factory (I think Vlassic) in the latter part of the 90's or 2000-ish. I know that doesn't answer your question- I'm sorry! :blowkiss: (Is Godiva noted for being a "fine German Chocolate"? I can't remember.)

I worked for a non union plant for a decent wage but they still went to Mexico. Doesn't make alot of sense to me

At one time (around 1991-1994) I believe Godiva was owned by Campbell's soup/Pepridge Farm, but I am not sure WHERE it was made. I would imagine it was made wherever it was least expensive? I know I'm not dead on with dates but Campbell's soup in Omaha, NE sold to a pickle factory (I think Vlassic) in the latter part of the 90's or 2000-ish. I know that doesn't answer your question- I'm sorry! :blowkiss: (Is Godiva noted for being a "fine German Chocolate"? I can't remember.)

Godiva owned by Campbell's? My goodness; there are just too many big corporations in charge of too many things I eat and drink to suit me.

Just out of curiousity, I looked on the back of a can of Ghirardelli hot chocolate that I have, and it says it is "manufactured" by their company in San Leandro, California, USA.

Do you suppose they're telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth??? :)

Godiva owned by Campbell's? My goodness; there are just too many big corporations in charge of too many things I eat and drink to suit me.

Just out of curiousity, I looked on the back of a can of Ghirardelli hot chocolate that I have, and it says it is "manufactured" by their company in San Leandro, California, USA.

Do you suppose they're telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth??? :)

The sale of Godiva...
had to google it- http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/campbell-soup-sells-godiva-for-850-million/

850 million is a lot of money!!

Some of the companies caught my interest way back with Theresa Heinz Kerry- I didn't know how big these corporations actually were until that election.

I am sure a lot of stuff is manufactured here but I wonder if stuff is hauled in and labeled "made in the USA" just to apease us...:crazy:

The trouble with sending our employment to Mexico is many of them can work there at the factories plus their other family members can come over here to work and send billions of dollars back. They will all retire rich over there. The ones working here will eventually go back there to whatever the money is purchasing and live great while lots of us here in the U.S. will end up with no where to work, retire, unable to sell our homes, and probably with no social security benefits one day! Plus, their drug cartels and citizens that get involved in it are coming over here in droves and bringing kidnappings, money laundering, and violence.

Where I live there are still many home-made mom & pop candy stores. I usually buy there.

well....I do still love a Hershey bar from time to time

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime