1114 users online (224 members and 890 guests)  

Websleuths News

Boston Tourist Tumbles Into Unknown Crypt

Woman Finds Chamber In Granary

BOSTON -- Secret vaults beneath Bostonís streets have been the stuff of fiction in recent years, but a woman strolling through the Granary cemetery last month made a startling real-life discovery when she tumbled into a buried chamber.

On Jan. 31, a tourist walking along the cemeteryís back fence fell 3 feet into a hole that opened up beneath her. According to Mary Hines, a spokeswoman for the Historic Burial Grounds Initiative, the hole revealed a staircase leading down into an undiscovered vault up to 350 years old.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/most...27/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by capoly View Post
    Woman Finds Chamber In Granary

BOSTON -- Secret vaults beneath Bostonís streets have been the stuff of fiction in recent years, but a woman strolling through the Granary cemetery last month made a startling real-life discovery when she tumbled into a buried chamber.

On Jan. 31, a tourist walking along the cemeteryís back fence fell 3 feet into a hole that opened up beneath her. According to Mary Hines, a spokeswoman for the Historic Burial Grounds Initiative, the hole revealed a staircase leading down into an undiscovered vault up to 350 years old.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/most...27/detail.html
    Wow, how cool!
    Check out updated daily: Tricia's Tidbits

Some days I feel like a tumbleweed blowing in the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by TopGunner View Post
    Wow, how cool!

Yeah, totally cool, just what everyone wants to do- fall into an ancient grave!

How frightening. Never again would I walk in any cemetary.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    She didn't fall and land on a pile of skeletons, only on the buried staircase leading to still sealed crypt.

Personally I don't think I could resist the curiosity of finding out who is buried there.

How exciting! I hope that they can identify the entombed.

I am glad the woman was not hurt. I am sure that she will never forget her moment of discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    She didn't fall and land on a pile of skeletons, only on the buried staircase leading to still sealed crypt.

Personally I don't think I could resist the curiosity of finding out who is buried there.
    still the thought of anything that has me sinking into a ground in a cemetary... well, I would rather stay home.

VERY interesting, especially wondering the background behind it all. Have to wonder who did that, what nationality, etc. Fascinating.

And you're reading a thread from a person who went to the Alcatraz at night tour, into the basement areas with no one else down there, just meeeeeeee. Falling into a hole into a cemetary, what would be everyone's 1st thought? This would be one step too far for me.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

the catacombs of Paris

If you're interested in old bones in a creepy setting, take a tour of the catacombs in Paris. You walk down, down, down, into the earth, and then there are millions of neatly stacked/attractively displayed skulls and bones everywhere, floor (dirt) to ceiling (also dirt). Very dimly lit, cold and musty...But ironically, it's not really scary. There are so many skulls that they seem natural and rather sweet, a reminder of the mortality that we all share. However, the worst and scariest part is the winding stairway that you have to climb back to street level. I began to wonder how they would haul me out of there if my knees refused to obey me. This really is an excellent experience in Paris, particularly for teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyCake View Post
    And you're reading a thread from a person who went to the Alcatraz at night tour, into the basement areas with no one else down there, just meeeeeeee.
    OMG! Now that is bravery, PattyCake.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

ō My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

This story has it all! It's , , and .
    Sounds like something that would happen to Nancy Drew.

I liked this quote from an article:

""You look at these tombstones and each tombstone represents an individual life, existence, a career a family history," said Ewers, a film editor for documentarian Ken Burns who tried to visit the site yesterday. "For me, graveyards are like a thousand untold stories. It spurs your curiosity.''

I think the same as Ewers, I have always held a fascination with old cemeteries. Especially the names and dates for the headstones.

I wish they would update us and let us know who the crypt belonged to, but I don't see any new news.

The link that I quoted above is here: dated 11 FEB 09

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...stPop_Emailed7
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James