Database Seeks To Link Bodies, Families

AdoraBlue

I've been known to be a little too "woo-woo."
Reaction score
http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?p=535693

Feb. 16, 2009

(CBS) The Justice Department will unveil a computer database this week called NamUS, meant to bring answers, and perhaps even some peace and closure, to families searching for a missing loved one.

There are 40,000 unidentified bodies and remains in the United States, reports 48 Hours correspondent Erin Moriarty reported on The Early Show Monday.

Until now, there hasn't been any system to connect those remains with people looking for missing family members.

But, says Moriarty, that's about to change, in part because of a determined mother in Ohio.

I just saw this on TV.

Sorry I didn't know we had a list of databases on the Lighting the Way Home threads.

I am going to post this over there.

Can someone tell me how to go about submitting a UID in NamUS for matching to a missing person also listed in NamUS? Or should I assume that any UID is automatically run against missing persons to rule them out? Help please! I have never done this before and do not know how to go about it. TIA!

Can someone tell me how to go about submitting a UID in NamUS for matching to a missing person also listed in NamUS? Or should I assume that any UID is automatically run against missing persons to rule them out? Help please! I have never done this before and do not know how to go about it. TIA!

Hi, Lucky!!!

Never assume they have run against one another...at least in my experience. :)

You have a couple of options-you can contact the jurisdiction handling the MP case and suggest the UID as a possible match. Or, you can contact the ME listed on Identifyus for the UID and suggest the MP as a match.

Do you want additional opinions on the match? If you do, pull up the MP thread here or the UID thread here, and we can weigh in.

Good Luck!!!

There is a very good article that explains this in the sticky at -

A bigger picture - What every MP investigator/family member must know - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back