How Did the Side Door Get Opened?/Door Locks/Use of Cinder Block**REVISITED**

Cher352

Reaction score
This has been one of my main questions...How did the side door get opened? I don't think it was picked for some reason.

RC said he locked the deadbolt before he left for work because it was very hard to do, it took strength to pull the door shut enough to get it to catch.

RC also stated the lock was installed by him and that he put it up high enough so that Haleigh could not reach it. (I also wonder if RC did this because Haleigh had a habit of unlocking doors and going out by herself)

Did anyone else have a key?

So who opened it?

The AC man, the guys that came over to visit, GF?

Or did someone come in through the front door and leave through the back?

Your thoughts??

I am leaning towards Misty was somewhere that she could run into the backdoor to avoid Ron seeing her out and away from the kids when he came down the drive, or down the road, depending on the view she had. I wish we had a google street map to see just what is around there, and where Misty could've been. I think someone she is close to took Haleigh, or she snapped after bed wetting incident.

This has been one of my main question...How did the side door get opened? I don't think it was picked for some reason.

RC said he locked the deadbolt before he left for work because it was very hard to do, it took strength to pull the door shut enough to get it to catch.

RC also stated the lock was installed by him and that he put it up high enough so that Haleigh could not reach it. (I also wonder if RC did this because Haleigh had a habit of unlocking doors and going out by herself)

So who opened it?

Your thoughts??
Yes the locked then opened door seems to be a major part of this story. I wouldn't be surprised if it was opened when Misty's relatives came over for some reason and she forgot to lock it back before going to sleep. Maybe she is too scared to tell RC about her slip considering his daughter is gone as a result ?

This has been one of my main question...How did the side door get opened? I don't think it was picked for some reason.

So who opened it?

Your thoughts??

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/amberalerts/news-article.aspx?storyid=131566&catid=295

Here's a lnk to an interview with a former tenant, Dr. Jessie Smallwood (a pastor) where he talks about the door and it's lock.

He says the door sticks and makes a scraping noise.
He and a friend installed a sliding bolt up too high for his son to reach.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/amberalerts/news-article.aspx?storyid=131566&catid=295

Here's a lnk to an interview with a former tenant, Dr. Jessie Smallwood (a pastor) where he talks about the door and it's lock.

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that.

Surprising that it was in that condition 10 years ago. It was a 1995 model so it would have only been 4 yrs old at that time.

Wow, thanks for that link ! I just don't know, but I still have a hard time with someone coming in and Misty sleeping right through it.

So is RC lying about installing the lock himself? Why on earth is he lying about that?

I think that Misty would have just used the front door. I'm thinking that she left the front door unlocked when she left, and the kidnapper came in through the front door and went out the back door with Haleigh to avoid being seen. He propped the door open before he picked up Haleigh.

That's the best scenario I can come up with. None of this is really making a lot of sense to me though.

Now that the door has it's own thread, I thought I would throw this out there.

We have a door that is pretty much the same, based on description.
If it is humid, it swells and sticks shut.

To open it from the inside, can be done soundlessly, or almost. All I have to do is bump my hip against it, and it breaks the moisture lock.
To open it from the outside is a noisy propostition. There is no way to open it quietly.
There is also no way to close it quietly from the outside or the inside. You either have to slam it or you have to push it very hard and it makes a scraping or a creaking noise.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I say opened from the inside to carry something out the propped open screen door. Dogs tracked Hayleigh out that back door.

Hmmm.... Maybe Ron isn't lying. Maybe he did put a lock on the top of the door when they moved in. Maybe it was a different type of lock then what was there or maybe it was replaced or something? I just don't feel the dad is guilty here or has a reason to lie.

Personally we installed locks up high on most of our doors to prevent our young kids from opening the doors. One of those childproofing steps that we took.

Did Ron not trust Misti with a key?
Misti was suppose to be gone 3 days and then just came back.........

I think the SO(B) put a cinder block to hold open the screen door and then used a bump key to pick the lock on the front door, opens door turns and locks it behind himself. I agree with the Astrology forum and think it is a SO who knows the family. He walks in and grabs Kaleigh tells her to be quiet that he is taking her to her daddy or she was sound asleep. She does not scream because SHE KNOWS HIM. He heads out the back door quickly, quietly and swiftly.
Leaving the door wide open.

Takes less than 1 minute. He knows MC will not wake up as she is stoned and dead asleep. RC works.. been watching the place.

ALL ABOUT BUMP KEYS
http://www.tech-faq.com/bump-keys.shtml

I think Ron and/or Misty are confused about having locked the door, or it was picked. I am leaning towards a break-in.

...ohh I believe Ron made sure that door was locked...he's a control freak..and I'm sure Misty did not have a key to the front door.IMO,she's the one who went out the back door and propped it open so she could return without anyone seeing her and reporting it to Ron.

When Misty had company over, do you think someone went out that door to have a cigarette or something and Misty didn't think to lock it again?

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that.

Surprising that it was in that condition 10 years ago. It was a 1995 model so it would have only been 4 yrs old at that time.

The water table in Florida isn't far under the soil, so it makes it really easy for things like a trailer to shift on their block foundations, as it settles in the soil... especially when they are first set up. Thus doors become uneven and hard to close, or hard to keep open.

I think a lot of the theories here are very plausable. I think that if Haliegh was totally asleep that person (guessing male because I couldn't carry out my 5 year old) carried her out of the house. The block (was there one found ? need to read) was used to prop the door open so they could just carry her out. I don't believe she changed clothes, think that's strange. Someone would not want her to be that awake when they took her. I think its fairly plausable for someone to slip into the house if someone was sound asleep. However, I also think the GF story is a little strange and the entire truth is not being told yet.

I think Ron and/or Misty are confused about having locked the door, or it was picked. I am leaning towards a break-in.

Agree - leaning toward break-in. I think normal family (2 kids) noise, tv, washing/drying could all possibly cover any noise made by tip-toeing perp.

I agree. They easily could have forgot to lock it. My husband does this to me and I swear someone could waltz right in at night if I didn't do the run through. Luckily we have an alarm too. I wish all parents with children could have alarms in their houses. Even just to know when a kid decides to go outside without a parent.

imo i dont think misty was in the house, i think she was gone and left the door unlocked

sttct: we have an alarm it goes off if basement windows are broken, if back windows are opened or doors opened, i turn it on at night, so we're able to walk around the house, just not open doors, my daughter is 3 and she's able to reach the deadbolt on the back doors....and she knows how to use it! it gives me such a peace of mind having this alarm system, plus it's monitored so if someone should break in when we're not home the police are called

i just thought of this because when i lived with my parents our house was broken into...is is possible the abductor could have entered the house thru an open window?
ok wait...doesnt make sense with the cement block....lol....well scrap that thought

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back