Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

No sleuthing of minors!

The rule at WS is that the sleuthing of minors is not allowed. If you suspect a minor is a perpetrator of a crime, you may not post about your sleuthing of him/her.

Warnings and timeouts will be given for posts that include sleuthing of a minor.

Thanks,

Hoppy
    mod
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:

Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here

Thanks to JBean

Threadiquette

Name Variations and Name calling
    Please do not alter the names of anyone discussed in this case, except appropriate abbreviations.Derogatory name changes, or any kind of name change is not acceptable.
    Name calling is not allowed.

If you have any questions about what is ok to post, please ask, you can check at the bottom of the page for a Mod on this particlular forum, we are all happy to help out and answer your questions. Glad to have you all here!!!
    Last edited by imamaze; 10-30-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: edited to add name calling rules

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:

The only thing I dislike about Websleuths is the (occasional) personal attacks, unnecessary sarcasm and "my opinion means more than yours does" vibe. Wow. Other than that, no other site out there will analyze a case and get to the bottom of it like Websleuths does!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePhantom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    The only thing I dislike about Websleuths is the (occasional) personal attacks, unnecessary sarcasm and "my opinion means more than yours does" vibe. Wow. Other than that, no other site out there will analyze a case and get to the bottom of it like Websleuths does!
    Hi ThePhantom,

None of that is allowed on Websleuths, please if you see or read something like that alert us to it by clicking on the triangle at the top right corner. We don't always get to see everything posted so if you see something against TOS, please alert us to it. Thank you!! Thanks too for the compliment, I agree our members are the best at getting to the bottom of a case!!!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:

Question about posting info in the PL.

Is it okay to post LE related info in the PL if it has not been verified by the media, or if there is not a link to a media outlet online?
    Thanks.
    JustToSeeYouSmile

Quote Originally Posted by JustToSeeYouSmile View Post
    Is it okay to post LE related info in the PL if it has not been verified by the media, or if there is not a link to a media outlet online?
    Thanks.
    JustToSeeYouSmile
    Posts in the Parking Lot are approved by the Mod Squad up front. If you have some information that you believe could qualify for private forum discussion, please contact a moderator.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

P. S. It is best to contact the mod that is familiar with the case and is the moderator for that specific forum already. Thanks!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    P. S. It is best to contact the mod that is familiar with the case and is the moderator for that specific forum already. Thanks!
    Thanks Kimster. Is there a way to know which mod is in that specific forum? Is there a list somewhere?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JustToSeeYouSmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kimster. Is there a way to know which mod is in that specific forum? Is there a list somewhere?
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showgroups.php

It is listed as "View Forum Leaders" at the bottom of most WS pages.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showgroups.php

It is listed as "View Forum Leaders" at the bottom of most WS pages.
    Kimster, thanks and forgive me for being an idiot- I see the section marked 'view forum leaders' or whatever, but is that what you are talking about? Thanks.
    Sorry- I mean, how would I know which was the appropriate one to contact?
    Last edited by JustToSeeYouSmile; 03-04-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: stupidity

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JustToSeeYouSmile For This Useful Post:

Kimster, thanks and forgive me for being an idiot- I see the section marked 'view forum leaders' or whatever, but is that what you are talking about? Thanks.
    Sorry- I mean, how would I know which was the appropriate one to contact?
    Hi JustToSeeYouSmile

Yes, that is what Kimster is talking about, when you click on 'View Forum Leaders' it will show you all the Mods and Administrators and which forums they Mod.

ps... Its a very good question!!! I'll bet lots of people want to know this and was afraid to ask, lollol.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imamaze View Post
    Hi JustToSeeYouSmile

Yes, that is what Kimster is talking about, when you click on 'View Forum Leaders' it will show you all the Mods and Administrators and which forums they Mod.

ps... Its a very good question!!! I'll bet lots of people want to know this and was afraid to ask, lollol.
    Thanks imamaze... I'll try and make sure I ask the right questions of the right folks.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JustToSeeYouSmile For This Useful Post:

What causes one to be placed on "time out," and is there a standard amount of time to be on "time out," or is it determined on a case by case basis?

Is it allowed for minors who have been identified as suspects or POI by the police or is discussing them off limits too?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Good question.
    If a poster breaks any of the TOS or etiquette rules

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

they can be place on a TO at the discretion of the moderator of a forum or any administrator.
    Personal attacks on other posters, consistent name calling of case players / members,linking to banned sites,rude,hostile, or overly argumentative posts are the most common causes of time outs.
    Someone that breaks the more procedural rules like copyright violations or constantly posting OT will also get a time out if it continues.
    There is no set time and that is also usually up to the moderator of each forum and determined on a case by case basis. Typically it is 1-28 days.

We try and send a note to each member when they break a rule but this is not always possible. It is important that members understand the rules.
    Basically treat everyone here like they are in your living room.
    Last edited by imamaze; 10-30-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fixed link

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Regarding social networks

Regarding facebook,twitter, and myspace you can link but do not cut and paste. But the goal is to really only link to those that are directly linked to a case.

IOW, we don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman , or postal carrier just because they know the main player. It just gets too invasive and half the time we are not even sure it is the right person. When a post starts out, I found 5 people with this name do you you think any of these are [insert person here]? that is not a good thing.

It will often be up to mod discretion as to who can and cannot be linked, but the general rule of thumb is if they are named in the media specifically as having some role or are being questioned or have information then you are probably safe to link. No screen caps and no cutting and pasting. If a social media is set to private and you get in the back way and post what you see, that is not a good thing!Private means private.
    Just imagine if is you if you cannot decide and you shoulod be able to figure out if it is ok.

You are free to discuss what you may come upon,but if it is just a lot of gossip and rumor it won't fly. People open facebook accounts and post whatever they want and to carry that as some sort of inside info is careless. but, sometimes there is really valuable information that may even come into evidence as in the Caylee Anthony case.So, if you know for a fact it is the right person and they are named outright in the msm as someone linked to the case it should be fine. IF IT IS A MINOR DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

If something was posted as public and then removed you might be able to post it, it is up to the mod of the forum and it depends on who, what, when and where.
    The mods are listed at the bottom right of the forum under the index, they can generally help. If not, they will ask admin for guidance and we will all decide what is best.

Generally we try not to invade everyone's privacy and if the linked information has no bearing on anything, then leave it out.
    We moderate here. Some people love it and some people hate it. Up to you to stay or go, choice is yours. Complaining about our rules doesn't help. if you have a suggestion or think of a better way, bring it on! We are far from perfect and welcome your input as long as it is civil and basically polite.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imamaze For This Useful Post:

A young lady from my home town (coincidently from kayleah Wilson's town) is missing on a remote trek in Langtang, Nepal. I realize this is not the typical missing case found on Webslueths, but I wondered if I should start a thread on her anyway?

http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...ntProfile=1001

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manybooks For This Useful Post:

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    You're welcome to start a thread either in the missing/located discussion forum, or the missing persons info and support (non discussion, family support only.) Anyone can start a thread.

hth
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

How do you know which sites are banned for linking purposes? What are the rules about posting information from other crime forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy2441 View Post
    How do you know which sites are banned for linking purposes? What are the rules about posting information from other crime forums?
    If your link comes out like this:
    www.**********.com then you can be sure it is not allowed here.
    Generally speaking,blogs are ok for discussion points , but not for fact reference.

as always only copy and paster 10% of anything you bring from another site and provide a link.
    hope that helps.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Is there a way to get a sticky on the missing/located discussion forum about WS being a victim friendly forum. You know, I've seen a post before explaining that but I can never find it when I want to remind people of it.
    It would be nice if it were clearly titled something like "WS is a victim Friendly Forum" so it can be linked to remind people who insist on sleuthing/blaming a victim or family members of victims even tho they have not been named POI or Suspect in a crime.

Thanks y'all.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Is there a way to get a sticky on the missing/located discussion forum about WS being a victim friendly forum. You know, I've seen a post before explaining that but I can never find it when I want to remind people of it.
    It would be nice if it were clearly titled something like "WS is a victim Friendly Forum" so it can be linked to remind people who insist on sleuthing/blaming a victim or family members of victims even tho they have not been named POI or Suspect in a crime.

Thanks y'all.
    Quoting myself to bump the question.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Etiquette of Bumping

(Let me preface this by saying I'm posting primarily regarding the Missing/Located Forum Discussion, as this doesn't really pertain to threads in many forums, such as with games; nor am I posting in reference to the post above!)

I'm wondering if there have been any mod posts on the etiquette of bumping. I understand why people like to post (often content-free) bumps -- they want to ensure that their thread is high up on the list and gets as much attention as possible. I appreciate that loyalty, and the understanding that publicity can help a missing person's case or a criminal investigation. Sometimes, people may just want to touch base or say 'good morning' to a thread's community of posters, too.

I wonder, though, if there can be some negative consequences to welcoming content-free bumps. Some threads seem to welcome and encourage such bumps. The threads maintain a prominent spot on the board, but they also become much less informative, for the amount of reading one must do. I believe that threads with chronic bumping likely turn off some readers as well, and may end up discouraging participation. Many may not want to open a thread when they strongly suspect that their time will be spent just reading another bump. In some cases, content-free bumps come hours or minutes after other content-free bumps -- these are clearly not the same as a bump that comes days or weeks after a previous bump.

While such bumps help some threads, they also hurt others, as they force them down the queue. Having lots of content-free bumps in one thread may encourage others to do the same in the threads they follow. This can lead to a (more) competitive situation for prominent thread placement.

So, while I'm not saying that there is no place for a content-free bump, I do think that they bring some negative consequences in terms of informational density and quality, and competition between cases. If everyone was a chronic bumper, threads would be mainly like popularity contests, and some threads would struggle to get any exposure whatsoever. While it is possible to put chronic bumpers on one's ignore list, it still doesn't solve the problems bumping can create for the forum as a whole. So, I'm guessing that I'm asking our mods -- am I being oversensitive here, or would some informal guidelines on bumping improve the forum? Or at any rate, can we get some feedback on opinions on chronic bumping?

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Montjoy For This Useful Post:

Hi, my name is Kimberly, and I am a chronic bumper.

There are a few cases I follow daily and if I see that they are about to go to the second page, I bump. I also check for news or articles regarding that case before I bump. So, my routine of checking for information and chronic bumping has brought a lot of information to threads.

You make a lot of good points, but I hope we don't get rules on bumping. And, I hope I'm not put on ignore for bumping, because a lot of useful info and news I bring to the threads will be missed that way.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast