683 users online (86 members and 597 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2009.02.18 Defense Statement

New Documents and Photos Released In Casey Anthony Case
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:42:49 PM

Defense Reacts
    Meanwhile, lawyers for Casey Anthony released this statement Wednesday. “The State’s forensic report on duct tape, plastic bags and other items is a one-sided law enforcement-generated report and is biased and speculative. It uses ‘junk science,’ the kind of flawed comparative analysis that the two-year study by National Academy of Sciences released today.”

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2...hony_case.html

Junk science!
    Last edited by Patty G; 02-18-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: New format for date
    Tell me this was all a really bad dream.....

Quote Originally Posted by TxMother67 View Post

Defense Reacts
    Meanwhile, lawyers for Casey Anthony released this statement Wednesday. “The State’s forensic report on duct tape, plastic bags and other items is a one-sided law enforcement-generated report and is biased and speculative. It uses ‘junk science,’ the kind of flawed comparative analysis that the two-year study by National Academy of Sciences released today.”

Junk science!
    If it were forensic evidence that CLEARED KC, then it wouldn't be "junk sicence", it would be state of the art, cream of the crop, best of the best, scientific testing....funny how it works that way.
    "This time we get it right."

Defense Reacts

Junk science!
    OUCH
    I am reading that correctly, the Defense is stating LE and the State of Florida uses JUNK SCIENCE?

I'd like to hear a rebutall from the State LOL

Should we do a poll as to which of Casey's Defense attorney's came up with that statement

WTH is junk science? Is this something that Baez came up with? One-sided biased and speculative report? Well Baez, tell us the other side of the story!
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere!" MLK, Jr.

So there is a part of the defense case, spelled out! Attack the scientific evidence! This is where LBK earns her cut of the fee.
    JMO

The "junk science" coming out of Quantico? Um. I don't think so! LOL

That is not a "strategy". It's a diversion and it doesn't sound like Casey is going to get much of a defense.

~Jai Yen

They have nothing intelligent to say so they come out with this. She has no defense. You can't defend the indefensible.

I've heard of junk science before, but never was quite sure what it was. I imagine that the defense is trying to say that even though the duct tape, trash bags and laundry bag were 'similar' to the items found at the A's home, they were not THE same tape and bags, and that it can't be proved that they came from the same source. However, with modern forensic science, I have heard that it can be. So.... what else can the defense say? They're certainly not going to admit that it can all be traced back to their client.

Defense Reacts

Junk science!

Is it me or is the last sentence of the defense's statement "flawed" ? It is such a poorly constructed sentence that I've got to believe it was written by TB. Did the new spokesperson quit already ?

As soon as I heard that daing study came out today, I knew Baez would jump all over it. Dang it Dang it Dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amster View Post
    Shut the *&#@ up, defense!! The only "junk" in this case is your evil client!

I wish I could put duct tape across their mouths!
    Not very nice to curse them. If you only want to hear from the prosecution side, then it is not going to be a fair trial. They have the right to defend their client, so they should be allowed to speak. I take it you are not volunteering to be a juror?

It seems to me that the junk science used on the duct tape that we've seen is in Casey's favor, as there were no latent prints discovered.

Does this mean there are additional results from the tape that we haven't gotten to read yet? Results that are not so benign? Maybe dealing with the fibers collected and plated "for future comparison purposes" as stated on page 3801 of today's doc dump?

source: http://www.wftv.com/_blank/18740657/detail.html

It uses ‘junk science,’ the kind of flawed comparative analysis that the two-year study by National Academy of Sciences released today.”

NAS Press Release

'Badly Fragmented' Forensic Science System Needs Overhaul; Evidence to Support Reliability of Many Techniques Is Lacking

WASHINGTON -- A congressionally mandated report from the National Research Council finds serious deficiencies in the nation's forensic science system and calls for major reforms and new research. Rigorous and mandatory certification programs for forensic scientists are currently lacking, the report says, as are strong standards and protocols for analyzing and reporting on evidence. And there is a dearth of peer-reviewed, published studies establishing the scientific bases and reliability of many forensic methods. Moreover, many forensic science labs are underfunded, understaffed, and have no effective oversight.

There ya have it! No "full story" we've been waiting to hear... no "their side of what happened"...nope, they are going to attack the evidence on scientific grounds. That's the defense. What NSA report are they referring to? Is it a coincidence that in the Spector trial, LKB argued junk science there too? Does this mean that all those convicted based on the same junk science should be freed? Is LKB working toward that goal? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
    WTH is junk science? Is this something that Baez came up with? One-sided biased and speculative report? Well Baez, tell us the other side of the story!

Definition:
    Junk science occurs when scientists or researchers move beyond simply fooling themselves (as with pathological science) and create arguments or ideas which confuse and fool other scientists, the public, and even lawmakers. What we have here are ideas which could be true but which have little or no supporting evidence that should cause anyone to think they are true.
    "This time we get it right."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast