729 users online (94 members and 635 guests)  

Websleuths News

Girl: Mom sold me to be 'wife'

May 27, 2004) — A Monroe County grand jury is about to hear the story of a Rochester teenager who says her mother sold her for $3,000 to another family that forced her to do household chores and have sex with a 21-year-old man. In statements included in court documents, the 15-year-old girl said her mother ordered her to live with the family every weekend for almost a year.

Under threat of severe beatings, the girl said, she was made to clean up after the family and to live as one man’s bride. She described the man as the son and the brother of other family members.

Bekim Lapjani, 21, of 156 Afton St. has been charged with first-degree rape.

The girl’s 33-year-old mother has been charged with felony coercion and two counts of felony second-degree assault. She’s also been charged with two counts of misdemeanor endangering the welfare of a child.

The girl’s 46-year-old father has been charged with a misdemeanor endangering charge and misdemeanor third-degree assault.

The Democrat and Chronicle is not naming the girl’s parents because doing so could identify an alleged rape victim. It is the newspaper’s policy not to name victims of alleged sexual crimes.

Authorities first heard the Rochester girl’s story after she and her siblings were removed from the home as a result of the girl reporting her mother’s alleged abusive behavior to a school nurse.

Once in a foster home, the girl told authorities about her life as a slave.

The girl said her experience with the other family began in May 2003, when her father said they were going to visit a family from their native country in eastern Europe.

”I do not know too many people from my country, so I was excited to go,” the girl wrote in a statement to Police Investigator Ron Reinstein.

At the house, though, the girl said a man raped her in an upstairs bedroom.

Moments later, the girl said her mother stormed into the room and demanded to know what happened. The girl said she was still bleeding when her mother took her home and beat her “like it was my fault.”

The next weekend, the girl said her mother took her back to the house. When she arrived, the girl said, the mother of the man who had raped her “welcomed me to the family.”

That night, she said, she was forced to sleep in the man’s bed, where she was raped again.

”I asked him why he was making me have sex with him and he told me he had to pay my mom $3,000 for me to be his bride.” The girl said she went home and asked her mother what the man had meant.

”She began to stutter,” the girl wrote. “After that, every Friday after school she made me go to (the man’s family’s) house. I asked her why I had to go and she told me because I was his wife.”

At the house, the girl wrote, she had to cook, clean, wash the family’s clothes and make their beds. Her mother would pick her up on Sunday nights.

”If I did something they did not want me to do they would tell my mom and she would beat me up. My mom told me if I did not do everything they told me to do it would ruin her reputation.”

A phone call

The incident that finally brought the slavery allegations to authorities’ attention began with a simple telephone call, from a classmate of the 15-year-old girl’s 12-year-old sister.

One evening in March, a boy from the 12-year-old girl’s school called to ask for help with his homework.

According to both girls, the mother became enraged that a boy had called without permission and began beating the 12-year-old with a studded belt. The next day, the 15-year-old reported the beating to her school nurse and the children were removed from the home. The girl said that is when the weekend visits to the other family’s house ended.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...AMC_news.shtml

cultural problems

this seems like a cultural problem to me. I believe that every immigrant to this country should have to go through a course advising them of our laws and how the they may affect cultural situations. in this case the female child probably "shamed" the family when she was raped. her family probably considered her very "lucky" to have a "marriage" arranged to cover the fact that she was raped. they look at this very differently than we do. not excusing it or agreeing with it, just trying to understand it. one thing the article does not mention is whether or not an actual marriage cermony took place.
    some other countries it is very normal for the girls family to marry her off without her agreement. also for a bride price to be involved. as for the rape, they would have considered the girl as "devalued" as women were supposed to be virgins when they married, and were not considered worthy of a bride price if she wasn't a virgin.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight