1068 users online (210 members and 858 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Officer uses Taser on 9 year old girl!

A veteran South Tucson police sergeant is under investigation for firing his stun gun to subdue a handcuffed 9-year-old girl.

At the request of Chief Sixto Molina, the Pima County Sheriff's Department is trying to determine if the sergeant committed a crime when he sent a jolt through the child's body.

The police officer used a Taser on the girl at about 5:30 p.m. May 8, Molina said. The nonlethal weapon uses a pulsating electrical charge to immobilize a person for several seconds.

"I'll be the first to admit, you've got a veteran sergeant Tasing a 9-year-old girl, it doesn't look good," said Molina.

The sergeant was one of at least two officers who responded to a call from the Arizona Children's Home, a school for special needs children, on South Eighth Avenue, he said.

"It had to do with a runaway from the institution," the chief said. He declined to provide further details.

The school could not be reached for comment late Monday. But Molina said that the facility is the source of frequent calls to his 25-person department.
    Molina said one officer initially responded to the call from the school. That officer requested assistance from another officer and specifically asked that the second officer bring a Taser.

He said the girl was handcuffed at the time the weapon was used.
    The sergeant who used the hand-held Taser remains on duty. His name is not being released while the investigation is under way.

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/23436.php

I AM HORRIFIED! the ONLY possible excuse for tasing a child would be if the child had a gun on the officer. or any deadly weapon combined with ability to use it. but the child was in handcuffs according to story. that can be permissable if child was a danger to herself or others. I sure would like to know the details here.

Question

I have to withold judgement on this one... despite the surface appearance of absurdity.

My youngest daughter is on a "ten and under" fastpitch softball team and some of the girls that play (who HAVE to be ten years or younger since a birth certificate is required for proof) are bigger than I am. I'm not an average sized woman, true. I'm pretty small. But some of these girls look like they could beat up my husband! I don't know how many times our group of parents have sat in the stands and commented on the amazon-like size of some of these girls. And many show no signs of puberty type development so most likely they do legitimately qualify for the teams. I think we are growing them big these days! If you add a rage type "tantrum" to that size... or possibly a psychological problem where there is a history of violent rage... perhaps things aren't as bizarre as they seem.

I very very much doubt that the Arizona Children's Home resorts to handcuffs or Tasers to deal with and control their special needs children.

I cannot see any justification for the use of a stun gun on a handcuffed child.

I agree it sounds pretty suspect and ridiculous. But it wasn't the Children's Home that was dealing with the girl... it was the police that they apparently called. And according to the article they call the police to intervene often. So regardless of what they might use to "deal with" the kids in their care, they must have felt such standard measures they employ were simply not working this time.

What confuses me about the article is that they say the call to the police came from the school and even give the school's address. That would lead the reader (at least it led me) to believe that this school was the scene of the incident. Yet the police say the call was in reference to a "runaway situation" that would lead one to believe the child was not at the facility. How can you run away and be on the premises? Did the school find the child on their own and return her to the facility and then the fireworks began? It's hard to say since the article never actually says where the incident took place, only where the call to police originated.

I would think, once handcuffed, even an adult poses limited threat to the police. An exception might be a large adult under the influence of PCP or some other drug that would cause still dangerous aggression even without the use of the hands. Even a large nine-year-old is unlikely to display that kind of aggression. It most likely is a case where the police overreacted in an attempt to get a handcuffed suspect to possibly get in the cruiser or kneel on the ground.

At any rate... at least tasers don't cause any permanent harm, and I doubt this officer had some inert prejudice against a nine-year-old girl. Most likely it was simply bad judgement that will result in some sort of penalty for the officer involved. But I would certainly be looking into this "school" who seem to rely on the police quite a bit, and possibly needs to get some new methods for dealing with problems.

a couple little items...a handcuffed suspect can indeed inflict harm, kicking, spitting,(& other bodily fluids), also, nationally, 2 people that i am aware of have died after being tased, but there are underlying health problems in both instances. we are as well-trained in taser as in firearms. and we also have to be tased during inservice training. tasers SAVE lives as an alternative to deadly force. if someone in cuffs continues resistance/violence we go to next level of hobbling. nobody likes this stuff. but we take it as it comes. we have use-of-force continuum to follow...we meet resistance with a step above and no more. for example...if someone is mouthy we don't shoot them! we only use force required in given situation. so despite howls of police brutality in awful cases that have been publicized (rightly so) we are extremely cognizant of what is necessary for us to prevail...and we MUST prevail, the bad guy CANNOT win. (plus there's a lot of paperwork to do whenever any force is applied.) (just being cute.) but it's true, you can spend hours writing it up. anyway, i am still waiting to find out what precipitated this incident, and i know full IA investigation is on.i really want to hear explanation.and believe me, when i attend briefing tomorrow i am going to bring this story up.

According to the article, the child was a runaway from the institution so she wasn't there for the Children's home personnel to deal with. She ran away, the police were called.

The school personnel would call from the school. The address of the school would be reported in the call. The location of the runaway couldn't be given if she had run away because it wouldn't be known.

Tasers are not made with the intention of stunning children. They are designed to be used on adults. They are weapons. They should not be used on children for any reason.

I agree Lovely Pigeon...

I don't care how big the girl is for her age ~ a 9 year old child should not have a taser used on her under any circumstances IMO

She was handcuffed for goodness sakes... that is bad enough as it is.

I have witnessed first hand "children" who become so enraged they bring serious harm to themselves and others around them. Things such as banging their head against the floor or wall, biting a plug out of their own arm or someone elses, kicking someone in the groin, throwing their whole body onto the floor, one very small boy bit his whole bottom lip off, the list can go on and on. Until all of the details are known I hold judgement.
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

If the officer needed to taser a child while handcuffed, then the child was not properly or correctly restrained. I feel that this was excessive force.

WE are not allowed to spray or tase someone in restraints. period. nor would i.

Cop who used Taser on girl believed she would resist

IRENE HSIAO
    Tucson Citizen
    A 9-year-old girl was "screaming, kicking and flailing, and would not listen" before a South Tucson police sergeant used a Taser stun gun on her May 8, according to a police report.
    The reports gave this account:

Sgt. Armando Teyechea, who has been with the department since 1996, arrived at South 10th Avenue and West 33rd Street to back up Officer Michael Hood, who was dealing with a runaway from the Arizona Children's Home, a residence, school and treatment center that served troubled children, some with severe emotional problems.

Hood, who has been with the department since October 2003, "had dealt with the juvenile before and she would become combative."

The Taser was requested before she was handcuffed, not after as reported Wednesday in the Citizen, South Tucson Police Chief Sixto Molina said.

Hood wrote in his narrative, "I asked for the Taser, because I was aware of (girl's) behavior in past incidents from her fighting, biting, kicking and punching school staff and other police officers."

Hood was trying to put a leg restraint, a nylon strap, on her, the report said. "She was swearing and continuing to resist" and "kept kicking out of the restraints and thrashing around--->>

Molina sent the matter to the Pima County Sheriff's Department for a criminal investigation after learning the girl was handcuffed when the Taser was used. That investigation is expected to be completed next week. The Pima County Attorney's Office will decide whether to press charges.

There also will be an internal review by the South Tucson Police Department."
    --->>

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.p...52804a4_tasing

I want to follow this case through the conclusion of the legal reviews. I do not believe that children should be stunned by a Taser (or any other brand), whether they are in handcuffs, leg restraints, or no restraints at all-- not by police, not by school or medical personnel, and not by parents/guardians.

did some research...50 people nationwide have died after tasing. we have 2 locally, one had underlying heart problem and cocaine in system.and also refused to submit to cuffs after being captured for dragging deputy one-half mile with truck. that deputy had the right to SHOOT as dragging was deadly force. don't know M.E. report on second one, it just happened. i still say taser is alternative to deadly force, an extremely useful tool with violent offenders. in supra case, the child in restraints, i can't see any good excuse yet. you cannot spray, hit, tase, anyone already in restraints. child or adult. say the child weighs 175 pounds.or has a gun. that child can kill you. ok, take them down. once restrained it's over. if they spit we apply spit mask. IA investigation is ongoing and i await result. i brought this up in briefing, all present expressed incredulity.

Having an autistic child I am familair with destructive temper tantrums..
    What truly concerns me here is this child got to this point...

No offense DL but in many places law enforcement is lacking in how to deal with special needs children.
    In doing advocacy work I've heard of some horrendous cases and known those involved.
    Police in many areas just don't know how to handle them.
    The presence of police alone could seriously agitate such a child.
    Being special needs and possibly unable to express herself adequatly due to disabilty and fear would be enough to set her off.

But to me more important here is that this 9 year old special needs child escaped from this home.
    So before I even judge an officer for doing his job however mis-informed of special needs children he is....
    I must question why this child "ran away"
    What is going on in this home?

I entrust my child to anyone ...but especially a special home and they had better be secure like Fort Knox.
    For a 9 year old to run away???
    Did she run away or wander off? Either way, where was the supervision?
    And why would she run away? Was that said to lesson their own mistake?
    This was a 9 year old after all.
    Personally I think the local LE needs to provide some training in the way to deal with any special needs person but more important someone needs to investigate this "special needs home".

good morning amraann...i was the first person to respond to this post. i find it reprehensible, inexcusable and am as shocked as anyone here. at our evening briefing i brought this up and all my partners were shocked and sickened by it; we get a degree in human nature every day, and are more humane and understanding than anyone knows...(unless they have NEEDED us). as a matter of fact i have an RN cert. among others, and understand autism. did anyone confirm autism here? anyway i know there has to be a full-blown IA investigation into this case. the only way i would tase a child is if said child had a gun on me, children can and do kill as we have sadly seen. in fact, to be brutally honest, if a kid had a gun pointed at me similar to shot- dead schoolteacher in south fla. i would shoot. don't care his/her mental status at that point. the bullet makes ME just as dead. HOWEVER this was not the case here...and i await explanation too. respectfully, linda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast