1246 users online (234 members and 1012 guests)  

Websleuths News

Six students charged with harassment on Internet

ARREN -- Six eighth-grade students have been suspended from Warren Middle School and charged with acts of juvenile delinquency for allegedly starting a website that insulted and threatened several of their classmates. Warren Police Chief William Stahl said the derogatory and threatening statements on the site are being taken seriously.

"We want to make sure that they did not have the ability to carry out those threats," said Stahl.

The Somerset County Prosecutor's Office filed terroristic threats and harassment charges against four of the students Tuesday.

One of the original creators of the website, a 14-year-old boy, is alleged to have threatened students in various sections of the website -- stating they deserved to die and threatening to blow up one student with C4 plastic explosives. A 13-year-old girl, alleged to be the co-creator of the site, allegedly posted threats on the site as well. And a 14-year-old girl was charged for writing alleged threats to take "a lance and skewer (the victim's eyes) then roasting them over a fire while poking at them with pointy sticks." The girl also allegedly threatened to cause a student "a horribly painful and unexpected death."

Another 14-year-old boy has been charged for re-posting the website after it had been taken off the Internet when the police investigation began.

The two other children involved were charged with harassment. One, a 14-year-old boy, was charged for providing the Internet space for the website to be posted. The other, a 13-year-old boy, was charged with posting humiliating but non-threatening messages on the site.

Superintendent of Schools James Crisfield said that he was notified about the website May 17. The police were notified and the investigation was begun.

In fewer than six hours, police found out who the students were. The youths were all interviewed at the police station.

Crisfield said that the suspension time for each of the students will vary according to how involved they were.

Stahl said that two were responsible for starting the site and the other four were allowed to post on the site. The site was up for two months, but only the accused were allowed access. Word spread after the website was opened to others.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...?reporter?news

Well... I have a daughter in Jr. High school... so I'm certainly not surprised. RARE are the school systems that do anything about these kids until someone is injured or dies. Where were the parents of these kids as they built and added to this oh so attractive website? My daughter uses the computer quite a bit but she is never where she isn't allowed to be. She is monitored. If you can't stand over their shoulder and actually watch what they do... there is such a thing as internet logs and history built into the computer system. Anyone who allows a teen internet access to a computer in the teen's own bedroom behind closed doors is asking for disaster. For that matter, they should NEVER have their own computer exclusively for their use. This time these kids were threatening others. Often they are being targeted themselves... victims of online predators.

I would have to disagree. Both of my kids have had their own computers since they were little. They have had internet access in their rooms since they became teens. It's the parents responsibility to raise a responsible child.
    If you teach them where they should and should not go, and have instilled honesty and integrity in them, there is no reason a teen should not be able to have a PC of their own. In the age of technology, many things required at school mean they have to use the internet. My son had one assignment that required over 40 hours of internet research (this was his 6th grade year). Now that he is in high school, much of the communication between student organizations is conducted online. Kids that bully online are the same kids that bully daily in the schools. Its not an internet problem, its a parenting problem.