Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brwnigirl View Post
    Can someone explain how the going door to door rules anything out in these cases? What do the searchers do when they go door to door? It's not like they are searching these people's houses are they? [snipped]
    I can't explain how going door to door rules anything out.

I think this is a different case than the one you are referring to, but it made me think of this one from Sep 2006. It's so revolting and scary, but the young girl was so brave during the ordeal. This 14 year old girl was held in an underground bunker by this creep and was able to send a text message to her mother from his phone.

(Sorry for the length):

Sep, 2006
    LUGOFF, S.C. Sharon Turner said she was worried when a 14-year-old girl who lived about a mile away disappeared. She hadn't seen the man living across the street who was charged last year with criminal sexual conduct on a 12-year-old girl for months. "I told my husband, 'He went underground,"' Turner said. Authorities say she was right.

Vinson Filyaw had eluded police since November with an elaborate system of bunkers hidden in the woods around his home, Kershaw County Sheriff Steve McCaskill said. Filyaw not only hid from authorities there, they allege, he also raped and held captive the 14-year-old girl.

The girl was rescued Saturday after she sent her mother a text message on Filyaw's phone while he was asleep Wednesday. She was resting and recovering from her ordeal.

[snipped]

Police say Filyaw, 36, abducted the girl as she walked home from a school bus stop on Sept. 6.

Investigators used cell towers to determine a general location of the phone and deputies began searching for Filyaw on Friday night. McCaskill said the girl cried out as searchers approached the bunker.

"This little lady getting that message out was really the break in the case," the sheriff said. "She helped herself as much as we helped her."

[snipped]
    The teen was found in a booby-trapped, 15-foot-deep hole carved out of the side of a hill and covered with plywood. The bunker had a hand-dug privy with toilet paper, a camp stove and shelves made with cut branches and canvas.

"You think you've seen it all and when you see something like this, it's hard to describe, it's hard to imagine," Capt. David Thomlee told "The Early Show" on Monday.

McCaskill said it looked like Filyaw was trying to dig another bunker under that one as a possible backup, but had to abandon it when it filled with water. Filyaw had dug two bunkers in his own yard and two in the woods and had used them to hide out since he was charged in the earlier case.

His girlfriend, Cynthia Hall, has been charged as an accessory and with neglect in that case, McCaskill said. Investigators say she allowed the assault to take place in her home and provided Filyaw with supplies to live in the bunker.

[snipped]

Authorities said Filyaw was wearing a shirt that had the image of a sheriff's badge on it when he met the 14-year-old girl and the teen was walked around in the woods by her captor until she became disoriented. He used handmade grenades and a flare gun to threaten her while she was in the bunker, McCaskill said.

[snipped]

Deputies had been searching for months for the unemployed construction worker. Officers tried to arrest him at his home earlier this week, but he escaped using a hole in the floor of his bedroom that allowed him to hide under his mobile home, McCaskill said. The sheriff said Filyaw had a prior conviction for burglary and has been charged several times with public drunkenness and driving under the influence.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214302,00.html

March 8, 2009
    North County Times
    ESCONDIDO: Weekend search turns up no trace of teen

ESCONDIDO ---- Despite the help of hundreds of volunteers, a second large-scale search for Amber Dubois turned up no trace of the missing teen this weekend, Dubois's family and police said.

Search teams set out Saturday and Sunday across brush-covered ravines and boulder-studded hillsides, scouring a roughly 5-mile-radius around the city for the bookish 14-year-old girl.

"We've had a huge turnout all weekend," said Amber's father, Maurice Dubois, exhausted but still upbeat Sunday afternoon. He estimated up to 350 people participated Sunday, up from roughly 250 Saturday, he said.

[snipped]
    http://www.northcountytimes.com/articles/2009/03/08/news/inland/escondido/z6ac52380775f112088257573007ff5a5.txt

March 9, 2009
    SignOnSanDiego
    Awful uncertainty about missing teen drags on

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/09/1m9jenkins2180-awful-uncertainty-about-missing-tee/

Does anyone know, when searches for a missing person are conducted, is there a printed detailed list of clothing, other items, jewelry that the person wore/had, with actual/sample pictures if possible, given to each searcher and made available to the public? Since people are very visual and in case any item was dropped or something?

See attached example of what I mean. I sent an email with the suggestion to the email address on the family website. Just trying to think of any ideas that might help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudajo For This Useful Post:

Invisible is offline Karma can change life with the swish of a horse's tail...Buddha
    I meant to mention this before, but there is also a construction site right next to the school. There is a development of what looks like townhomes to me; they don't really look like apartments. This project has been going on for at least a year and Amber would have walked right by the site on her way to school.
    Karma can change life like the swish of a horse's tail...Buddha

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Invisible For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cloudajo View Post
    Does anyone know, when searches for a missing person are conducted, is there a printed detailed list of clothing, other items, jewelry that the person wore/had, with actual/sample pictures if possible, given to each searcher and made available to the public? Since people are very visual and in case any item was dropped or something?

See attached example of what I mean. I sent an email with the suggestion to the email address on the family website. Just trying to think of any ideas that might help.
    Cloudajo..GREAT idea!! I'd also recommend telling the family to forward that to the media.
    #PrayForMH370

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I meant to mention this before, but there is also a construction site right next to the school. There is a development of what looks like townhomes to me; they don't really look like apartments. This project has been going on for at least a year and Amber would have walked right by the site on her way to school.

The development you are talking about is going to be a senior citizen center with different levels of care available. There is people in there working everyday and it is fenced off pretty good. I would hope that the workers checked all the buildings by now.

I wanted to mention, about the police patrolling, they do a good job near the high school, but by where I live I hardly see a patrol car. Once again, it could be because we are on the line separating county and city. I didn't realize how close Amber's home is to mine. I could walk there in about 2 minutes.

I'm not sure what good going door to door is doing, besides making more people aware. There is so many large properties out here with lots of out buildings. I hope people have taken the time to search these properties. My daughter told me the other day that her boyfriends house, which looks out over a canyon, has tons of caves near it. He lives at the very north end of town. He hasn't seen anyone come search near their house.

Also I wanted to mention that last year an older woman completely disappeared from her home in this area. She had dementia and just walked away from her home one day. I think it was in Sept. 2008. No trace of her was ever found. Her name is Sheila Lopes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DewSeeker For This Useful Post:

Hi there to my neighbors posting here. I did read somewhere recently that the caves in Esc had been searched.
    Also, while cutting the military's hair this weekend I spoke to a few men that live in Escondido. One man lives on the golf course on Broadway. He said searchers came to his door with flyers and just was informing the neighbors of the situation and to be on the lookout for Amber or strange activity, etc.

They can't just come in and search everyone's home, but they are trying to make everyone aware. Also warning people so that it doesn't happen again.

I read a bad comment under this article that really is bothering me. I have no way of knowing if it is true or not, so I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp...v=menu1607_2_1

I saw that comment too....idk
    It might be someone looking to cause a stir or it could be true..

Is the girl in the video Amber? If so, she looks different that the photo thats being sent around. I noticed the ring in her nose or lip I couldnt see it that well. Also wearing black long sleeves. Sometimes, we really dont know what our kids are doing. Could she be in Goth/EMO? Once again, someone knows something, could even know very well where she is. Possibly in the home of a EMO friend, hiding there. Maybe searching the woods, etc is the wrong place to be looking this time.

I think that's just a drop of water on her nose -- looks like that video was taken on a rainy day. I don't think she's a goth or emo kid, but even if she was, I highly doubt being a part of those respective subcultures would have anything to do with her disappearance.

The comment in that article is odd. There's no proof that Amber's mother uses and quite frankly, it seems a bit far fetched.

Invisible is offline Karma can change life with the swish of a horse's tail...Buddha
    Thank you, DewSeeker, for letting me know what that construction project was going to be. I could never find out what it was. Also, earlier in this thread, I mentioned Sheila Lopes because her disappearance has always bothered me too. I agree, there isn't much of a police presence once you get away from the high school. I live not far from Cougar Pass, the road that Broadway turns into north of Escondido and I have not seen anyone searching that road, although, surely they have. I am going to walk that road myself as soon I get a chance.

There are so many kids walking to school in that area, little kids, that it is scary to think that Amber was snatched in broad daylight.

Nice that that person that left the unsavory comment after the Amber Dubois story at the News8 website posted under "Anonymous".
    Karma can change life like the swish of a horse's tail...Buddha

Ahhhhh i'm soooo frustrated about this case...
    and i'm not involved at all...
    i can't even imagine the frustration of her friends and family...
    all this time is going by w/out knowing anything...
    no clues or anything!!!
    She's here one day...and gone the next!!!!
    I sat there for the longest time
    after you were gone....
    thinking about all things we said.....
    and all the things we didn't say...
    I wonder if you misunderstood,
    cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
    And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
    to make you stay.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to soyesterday For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cloudajo View Post
    I can't explain how going door to door rules anything out.

I think this is a different case than the one you are referring to, but it made me think of this one from Sep 2006. It's so revolting and scary, but the young girl was so brave during the ordeal. This 14 year old girl was held in an underground bunker by this creep and was able to send a text message to her mother from his phone.

(Sorry for the length):

Sep, 2006
    LUGOFF, S.C. Sharon Turner said she was worried when a 14-year-old girl who lived about a mile away disappeared. She hadn't seen the man living across the street who was charged last year with criminal sexual conduct on a 12-year-old girl for months. "I told my husband, 'He went underground,"' Turner said. Authorities say she was right.

Vinson Filyaw had eluded police since November with an elaborate system of bunkers hidden in the woods around his home, Kershaw County Sheriff Steve McCaskill said. Filyaw not only hid from authorities there, they allege, he also raped and held captive the 14-year-old girl.

The girl was rescued Saturday after she sent her mother a text message on Filyaw's phone while he was asleep Wednesday.
    [woods and had used them to hide out since he was charged in the earlier case.
    Thanks cloudajo..yes, this is a different case but thanks for posting as I did not know about it. It bugged me all day today until a coworker came up with the name of the case I was thinking of-Abby Drover.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2001/...by_010118.html

I don't mean to get off topic here, just want the investigators to consider that there are creeps out there that come up with weird types of confinement for their victims. I hope they are looking at every possibility. It scares me that going door to door is just that and nothing more, when she could be closer than anyone knows!

My home is also near Cougar Pass, it is such a small world....

That comment that was left seems so different from all of the others that it makes it unbelievable.

But, when I think back to when my daughter went to EHS, I remember how busy it was there every morning. I would sometimes drop her off about a block or 2 before the school and have her walk the rest of the way to avoid the cluster in front of the school and because it was impossible to turn around and go back home.

Knowing that and picturing Amber near the baseball/soccer field/driveway area with all of the traffic right there makes it hard for me to imagine her being abducted. It is so heavily populated at that time of day. There would have to be a bit of a struggle or a scuffle.

If it were a person that she had known or had met that pulled up to the curb and told her to get in the car for whatever reason, I think no one would notice.

I just don't see how anyone could pull off an abduction right there when other parents were dropping their kids off all over that same area. Plus all of the other "walking to school" kids there.

When my daughter went there 2 years ago, almost everyday there were 2 motorcycle cops parked in front of the school waiting for me to make an illegal U-turn right there.

I sure want Amber to be found soon, alive and well.
    Last edited by RElady; 03-10-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spelling

But...what if she was way early than usual??
    What if there wasn't alot of people around at that time?
    She could have gone really early cuz she was so excited about getting her lamb.
    What do you think?
    What time does it start to get really busy around there?
    I sat there for the longest time
    after you were gone....
    thinking about all things we said.....
    and all the things we didn't say...
    I wonder if you misunderstood,
    cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
    And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
    to make you stay.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast