Money blocking adult abuse act

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this. If in the wrong place, mods please move. I ran across this last night seeking help for a 40 year old man who is being abused, and I am shocked! Simply shocked this is allowed to happen in not just PA but 4 others states as well. (I haven't looked for the other 4 if anyone knows which 4). So incredibly sad between the ages of 18 and 59 so many have NO voice!

Pa. 1 of 5 states lacking adult protection law
Monday, December 15, 2008
By Daniel Malloy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Soaked in his own urine, the West End man was left alone for 10 hours a day. Mentally and physically incapacitated by multiple sclerosis, he had no way of seeking help.
The man's brothers, who profited from his pension and Social Security disability checks, left him tied to his wheelchair all day.
Sherie Lammers, outreach director for the National MS Society's office in Pittsburgh, was appalled when she saw the scene in July.
If the man had been under 18, Ms. Lammers could have called the Office of Children, Families and Youth to intervene and obtain proper care for him. If he had been 60 or older, Ms. Lammers could have called the Older Adult Protective Services System.
But the man is 42, and Pennsylvania is one of only six states that does not have an adult protective services law, according to a tally by Vision For Equality, a Philadelphia-based disability services organization.
Unless the man files a protection from abuse order -- which Ms. Lammers said he's incapable of doing -- authorities won't step in, because he's not in immediate physical danger.

more at link

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08350/935270-114.stm

OMG Words just dont seem adequate

:(

Im going to have to say it again - RESPECT - its all about respect and clearly this poor mans revolting family HAVE NONE

That is so sad

Sof if he was tied to a wheelchair and left alone for 10 hours not only did he soil himself but he wouldn't have been able to get food and water

:( my heart breaks - its so cruel

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88