Found Deceased WI - Jeannie Melville, 18, Green Bay, Aug 1970

CastlesBurning

Reaction score
Just came across this girl's link on Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/melville_jeannie.html - and for some reason, it really caught my attention. Jeannie grew up in the same era as my mother, and her photo looks like that of countless girls in my mother's hs yearbook. So...what happened? Why is there so little info on her case? I put her name into Google, and found the exact same little paragraph on a couple of other sites, nothing more. It both made me sad and made me wonder -- what happened? How does a girl get on a bus and never arrive at her destination? Did she meet with foul play at a rest stop, perhaps from someone who saw she was a young girl traveling alone and took advantage? Or perhaps Jeannie had other ideas in mind -- perhaps she took a different bus to some other destination, for whatever reason, and simply never went home (either because she didn't want to, or couldn't). To know if that was a possibility, of course we'd have to know a bit about Jeannie's personality, what her life was like, especially in the final weeks and days before her trip. Did she have problems at home? A boyfriend she wanted to be with?

On another note, I can't even imagine how terrible Jeannie's aunt must have felt. Even if you had nothing to do with it, imagine the heartache of knowing that a friend or family member disappeared without a trace for decades -- much less on the way to YOUR house.

Hi CastlesBurning,

I came across Jeannie's NCMEC poster today on Twitter. I am 4 years older then Jeannie, but your right, her picture reminds me of a number of girls I went to HS with.

It's very sad that there is virtually nothing written about her. I am sure she has family and friends who have missed her for close to 39 years. But there is no mention of family, friends, or her dreams, just that she got on a bus to visit her aunt and vanished, another life interrupted.

Jeannie's whole life has been reduced to a single paragraph, and a class photo. Unfortunately in an era with no internet, no cable news coverage, that one paragraph; is all we are likely to ever know.

Endangered Missing Alert: JEANNIE MELVILLE from GREEN BAY WI United States: http://tinyurl.com/cmesfy

i would submit this as a possible. Lots of similarities and I don't see any real glaring differences. I think the reconstruction of the Jane Doe resembles Jeannie.

You know, this made me think of something. Back in the mid 70's I took a bus trip (only one I ever took) to visit a friend across the state from me for a long weekend. It was grand fun. It was the first real time I traveled alone, and on the bus home, it was a bus from LA to NYC, there were some cool guys who were friendly and hitting on me. One asked me to just stay on and go to NYC - wow, was I tempted for a bit - think of it, just go, really tempting. Of course I didn't, but, you have to wonder. Life was so different then. The idea of bad things happening was so theoretical and all. Maybe Jeannie met someone and it was good but got bad.

I wonder if someone prodded her local paper they might do a story on her.

Definitely looks like a possibility to me. The red wig is a bit odd, but maybe Jeannie was not really planning to visit her aunt but to run off? In that case, she may have wanted to be disguised. That may also explain why there's so little detail about her.

It sure seems they would have checked this out, but you never know! I would turn it in - should be easy to determine through dentals.

Yes - please turn it in. I agree there are similarities, especially in the mouth/chin area. LadyStardust, I see you are in Germany so if you need or want help, pm me and I will assist you however I can.

Salem

Jeanie Melville has been RULED OUT. It was actually the investigation into this Doe that led to the discovery that Jeannie was missing.

The Det. Sgt. at Darke County Sheriff, who is in charge of the Doe's investigation was very helpful and kind. I have his email if anyone needs it - just pm me. I'm not sure I want to post it here on the public board, but his phone number is on the Doe's flyer.

He did not have a list of ruled outs, but said he will look at anything we want to send him.

Salem

Hey there,

I found another possible match, the height is off, but anyway:

Unidentified Undetermined Female

* The victim was discovered on August 27, 1972 in Jefferson County, Colorado
* Estimated Date of Death: 1969-1971 (1-3 years)
* State of Remains: Skeletal

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 17-23 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0" - 5' 3".
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown hair.
* Clothing: Small pearl buttons, and a brass button. A black pair of shoes, about size 6.5, described as having one-inch heels and buckles.
* Jewelry: A pair of gold colored earrings,
* Fingerprints: Not Available
* Dentals: Available
* DNA: Not Available

Case History
The skeletal remains of the victim were located on Forest Road 554, about one mile east of the Park/Jefferson county line in unincorporated Jefferson County, Colorado on August 27, 1972.

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase86.html

Unfortunately, there is not much info on the UID, not even a photo, but anyway...
Jeannie's case really haunts me. :( I hope that one day her family/friends will know what happened to her.

Jeanne Melville:
1970, age 18.

She is the same age as my sister.

I could not find any news at all, except the ones already noted.

I checked WI old newspaper archives. Nothing.

I mapquested Green Bay, WI to Milwaukee, WI, where Jeanne was to transfer
buses, it is a two hour ride.
And from Green Bay, WI to Ohio, is an eight hour ride.
Just from remembering those days in 1970 and riding the Greyhound,
eight hours was more like 10 or 12 hours.

I keep thinking maybe something happened in Milwaukee, WI when she was to transfer buses.

Here are some thoughts:
Something happened to Jeanne M in Milwaukee. Abducted? Killed?
OR
Jeanne M had a secret.
She had a boy friend. She planned to marry him. She did. Her parents
did not like him. Family issues. She is alive.
OR
She was pregnant. In 1970, most girls went to an unwed mother's home and gave the baby up for adoption.
It would have been unlikely that she could have got an abortion. Roe vs Wade, was 1973.

Without knowing more about her family background, it is hard to speculate about
what could have happened.
I checked white pages and there are still Melville's living in the Green Bay, WI area, but of course, unknown if they are family.

I wonder if the original missing persons report is still available out of Green Bay, WI.

Jeanie Melville has been RULED OUT. It was actually the investigation into this Doe that led to the discovery that Jeannie was missing.

The Det. Sgt. at Darke County Sheriff, who is in charge of the Doe's investigation was very helpful and kind. I have his email if anyone needs it - just pm me. I'm not sure I want to post it here on the public board, but his phone number is on the Doe's flyer.

He did not have a list of ruled outs, but said he will look at anything we want to send him.

Salem
===================================================
Salem:
Is there a possibility of getting more information about Jeanne Melville from Det. Sgt. at Darke County?
The original missing persons report?
Family info? Not that he has to give that out.
Family still around?
What was she wearing when she disappeared?

Do we know why there is a discrepancy in the date of disappearance?

Per an e-mail today from the NCMEC:

It is with great sadness and deep regret that we notify you that Jeannie Melville missing from Green Bay, WI, has been located deceased.

Jeanie, What happened to you? I do hope we hear your story.

RIP Jeanie.

Thank you for the info Peter J. I have been wondering about this case.

What a tragic story. I hope that Jeannie gets justice. :(

Hi All,

I found a news story about Jeannie and located her Doe network file.

You can view pictures and news at my link:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=143252708&albumID=951274&imageID=37213532
-----------------------------------------------------

I had identified so much with Jeannie. She was around my sister's age.
From the articles, she almost made it to the home of her aunt.

Poor Jeannie. You are home now.
Your aunt was still looking for you after all these years.

I hope there was some forensic evidence they recovered and it now can be processed and maybe your killer will spend the rest of his life in jail.

You are in eternal peace now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back