1115 users online (210 members and 905 guests)  

Websleuths News

University of Arizona researchers make forensic science breakthrough

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

That's very interesting thefragile7393. Thank you for posting. I wonder also, if it could have an application in anthropology too. Very intriguing.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

"The Arizona team's model would allow investigators to extrapolate what a suspect or victim would probably look like from a small sample of DNA recovered at a crime scene."
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    University of Arizona researchers have developed a method that could allow scientists to predict what a person might look like using nothing more than their DNA. A team at the University of Arizona's Steele Children's Research Center conducted a study where they measured the hair, skin and eye color of roughly a thousand people.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

That is one of those articles that may be small, but holds a gigantic punch... wow! I know it has far to go, but just the breakthrough alone is very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
    University of Arizona researchers have developed a method that could allow scientists to predict what a person might look like using nothing more than their DNA. A team at the University of Arizona's Steele Children's Research Center conducted a study where they measured the hair, skin and eye color of roughly a thousand people.

This has potential to be a HUGE step forward in forensic science. I can't wait to see if the findings hold up when the numbers of people studied goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    Very, very interesting! If this new development will allow identification of offenders at the crime scene and the victims (if needed to be identified), then that is indeed an important breakthrough!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Oh my, very exciting news!!!! Imagine all the does that could be identified using this?
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Anaïs Nin
    WOW!!!! Awesome....
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com

Hi, I think we will see a lot of breakthroughs in forensic science in the next year. I know of 2 more that are interesting as well and have already been put into practical use:

* In Germany they take a sample of air at the crime scene to see if the perp's DNA is in the air. There was a burglary in a market there, they took a sample which yielded the DNA of a man who was suspected by witness accounts. He was found guilty in a court of law and the judge said that 'air sample' evidence would be acceptable from now on on a case by case basis.

* At Birmingham Labs in England they have pioneered the creating of the particular death scent of a person which they make from the person's live scent. It is already being used in here in the US with the cadaver dogs in St Louis and at the FBI as well. It will give an advantage to cadaver dogs, as if a body is still missing, the dog can track where the cadaver was moved. BTW, this is called 'Enhanced Scenting'.

xox

Wow Scandi, that IS very interesting news. Air DNA???!! I can't see that ever happening here...too many defense attorneys wouldn't like that.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

air dna? wonderful.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International