1009 users online (135 members and 874 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

FL - Lisa Mowrey, 21, Tampa, 6 Feb 2004

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb...ssing-5-years/

5 Feb 09

Lisa Mowrey has been missing for five years, and this week authorities reissued a plea for the public's help in locating the hairstyling student.

On Feb. 6, 2004, Mowrey disappeared. Mowrey, 21, was last seen by relatives leaving her home at 6001 Tampa Bay Shores Blvd. to attend classes at the Manhattan Hairstyling Academy, formerly located on East Fletcher Avenue.

She never reported to school and hasn't been seen since.

In September 2004, Mowrey's family said they believe they saw her on a television news segment showing applicants in line for food stamps after a hurricane in Lakeland. Mowrey, at the time of her disappearance, was described as being a white female, 5-foot-1, 145 pounds with dyed brown and green hair and brown eyes.

At 7:30 p.m. Friday, Mowrey's family will host a vigil at the Community of Christ Church, 1740 N. Highland Ave. in Clearwater.

Anyone with information about the case or Mowrey's whereabouts is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-8477 or the sheriff's office at (813) 247-8200.

pic

(I couldn't find a WS thread about her. Someone please post if they know of one.)
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-23-2010 at 05:48 PM.

FL - Remains Found off 1-75 Tampa identified as Lisa Mowrey

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar...news-breaking/

TAMPA - Daniel Ebbecke's car overheated along Interstate 75 and he was on the phone with AAA on Tuesday afternoon when his friend told him he needed to look down.
    "It was just weeds, an old hubcap and a pair of tennis shoes," Ebbecke said today. "And then the top of a femur bone stuck up. You know the round part where it goes into the hip? And I said, 'Ooh, that looks like a people bone.'"
    There were several bones at the scene. They are human remains, the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner confirmed.
    Ebbecke and his friend discovered the remains in a wooded area about a mile north of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard. Ebbecke said the bones were not large and the shoes were roughly a size 8.
    A religious man, he believes he was sent to the scene to find the bones.
    "Who is this person?" he asked." How did they end up here? Why did they die?"
    Tampa police are conducting a death investigation at the scene, assisted by a University of South Florida anthropology professor.
    Officers aren't sure whether a crime occurred, and it could take months to analyze the bones and determine what happened, police spokeswoman Andrea Davis said.
    "There are so many possibilities, so many different things that could have happened, that it's premature to speculate," she said
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

More (This one says no skull found)
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...emains&cid=rss

More (This one says the guy that found the bones thinks that it was a woman or child)

TAMPA It started with the sneakers.
    That's what drew the attention of a couple blueberry farmers as they stood stranded along the shoulder of Interstate 75 Tuesday afternoon.
    Then they saw the bones.
    "Call police," Dan Ebbecke told a AAA operator. "I think there's a body here."
    Soon the spot near Bruce B. Downs Boulevard where 30,000 motorists pass each day was surrounded with yellow police tape. By Wednesday morning it was being treated as a crime scene.
    Authorities said Ebbecke's instincts were right: The bones were human.
    The identity and manner of death remained a mystery Wednesday as the medical examiner and an anthropologist examined the remains. It could be weeks before they figure it out.
    "There are so many possibilities," said Tampa police spokeswoman Andrea Davis, noting that detectives wondered if the bones would provide clues to unsolved murders or missing persons cases. "Everyone's wondering who this could be."
    That includes Ebbecke.
    He and friend Junior Penavler, both farmers from Masaryktown in Hernando County, were driving home from a conference in Polk County when Ebbecke's car overheated. He pulled over and called AAA.
    That's when Penavler pointed to the sneakers along the wooded shoulder. Ebbecke wishes he took photos so he could get his wife's opinion. She' a funeral director in Dade City.
    "I'm no expert," he said. "But it looked like a human femur bone with ribs and a radius and ulna and all that stuff you remember from biology class."
    Ebbecke said he didn't see any flesh on the bleached bones or a skull.
    Still, identification is possible.
    Investigators typically start with fingerprints, said Hillsborough medical examiner Vernard Adams. If there are no prints, they use dental records.
    No teeth? They turn to DNA.
    Even if a body is deteriorated, investigators often can take enough DNA from a bone to make a close match. They compare the sample to DNA on record for a missing person or family members.
    "But you have to have a putative idea of who someone is," Adams said. "Some of these are rather straightforward, and some aren't."
    Investigators often have an inkling of identity based on where remains are found or the circumstances of the death.
    Sometimes, markings from previous surgical procedures give clues.
    But in ambiguous cases, an anthropologist examines bones for age, sex, size and race before testing for DNA.
    Determining sex is easy with a pelvis. Adams said age is estimated by examining wear and tear of the bones. Adams said different races have subtle differences in bone lengths and the way they twist.
    With a loose description, investigators search local, state and national databases of missing persons.
    Descriptive features were unavailable Wednesday, and it was unclear how long the bones were there. "Every case is so different," Adams said.
    He said bodies deteriorate fast in Florida and are sometimes dried out in a few months, though it takes longer in cold weather.
    Ebbecke, the farmer, said the size suggests the bones belonged to a woman or older child. He estimated the sneakers were an adult size 8 or 9.
    He said he saw what looked like the remains of a black T-shirt, or possibly a garbage bag near the bones.
    Davis said there was a lot of debris and it wasn't clear which items belonged with the bones.
    Since thousands of motorists drive within feet of that spot every day, Ebbecke thinks his car broke down there for a reason.
    "My wife said God was ready for this person to be found," Ebbecke said. "Maybe this is going to answer questions for somebody's sister, brother, cousin or whoever to find out what actually happened to them."
    Cindi Lou

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...18/596039.html

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- The bones found near I-75 Tuesday have been confirmed as the skeleton of a woman.

Detectives finished their on-site investigation on Thursday morning. Now a USF anthropologist and the Hillsborough County medical examiner will begin reconstructing the skeleton.

Officials said it could take weeks, or even months, to determine the woman's age, race, identity, cause of death and time of death.

A driver found the bones Tuesday near the interstate, just north of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard.

Investigators said they found clothes and shoes near the bones. However, they did not find a skull.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/mostpop...-Of6JoPoQ.cspx

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL -- The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner says bones found along I-75 are those of a female.
    The Medical Examiner and a USF Anthropology Professor will reconstruct the skeleton. They say it could take weeks or even months to determine the victim's age, race, identity, cause of death and time of death. A complete skeleton was recovered.
    Around 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, a driver who stopped after his car overheated called police after his friend found the bones alongside northbound I-75 about one mile north of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard.
    Authorities say the remains had been there for a long time and were obscured by brush.
    Copyright 2010 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Take Care,
    Racingwild

Quote Originally Posted by racingwild View Post
    http://www.abcactionnews.com/mostpop...-Of6JoPoQ.cspx

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL -- The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner says bones found along I-75 are those of a female.
    The Medical Examiner and a USF Anthropology Professor will reconstruct the skeleton. They say it could take weeks or even months to determine the victim's age, race, identity, cause of death and time of death. A complete skeleton was recovered.
    Around 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, a driver who stopped after his car overheated called police after his friend found the bones alongside northbound I-75 about one mile north of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard.
    Authorities say the remains had been there for a long time and were obscured by brush.
    Copyright 2010 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Notice the bbm part. I saw this in another news story also. So did they find the skull or did they not?? Strange.

There are so many possibilities. It all depends on how long they think the remains have been there. Sandra Prince is the first one to come to mind. Also Jennifer Kesse. I remember she was on her way to work though. I am not sure where she worked but I pictured she was dressed up. This doe had tennis shoes.
    Cindi Lou

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...emains/1081858

A salon smock. A pair of size 8 Athletic Wear sneakers. And a pair of Hanes men's underwear.

They are among the items Tampa police unearthed near a woman's skeletal remains that were found last week on the side of Interstate 75.

Detectives are trying to piece together clues about who this woman could be and how she ended up at mile marker 271, about a mile north of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard. They know she was probably white, between 18 and 25 years old and stood between 4 feet 11 and 5 feet 1.
    I think Lisa Anne Mowrey is a match. She is 5'1" and was last seen wearing a black smock for classes at a hairstyling academy.
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mowrey_lisa.html

Also, the location of the remains is less than 15 minutes from the academy where Lisa Mowrey was attending classes.

Map here
    Last edited by Jubble; 03-23-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fixed typo

She was identified today as Lisa Mowrey.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...e-2004/1082142
    Cindi Lou

Lisa Mowrey has been found deceased.
    Cindi Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    Lisa Mowrey has been found deceased.
    I just read this.
    So glad her family can have peace and
    she can be laid to rest.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar...ns/news-metro/
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    She was identified today as Lisa Mowrey.
    I just notified Meaghan Good of Charley Project.

I am posting Lisa's photo and narrative so that it will still be available after Meaghan Closes her file.

Lisa Anne Mowrey

Mowrey was last seen at approximately 6:30 a.m. on February 6, 2004, at her residence in the vicinity of the 6000 block of Tampa Shores Boulevard in Tampa, Florida. She left for classes at the Manhattan Hairstyling Academy in the 2300 block of Fletcher Avenue, but never arrived. Mowrey may have been carrying a backpack at the time of her disappearance. She has never been heard from again.

On September 22, 2004, over six months after Mowrey's disappearance, a local news station videotaped a segment on Lakeland, Florida residents applying for food stamps after a hurricane struck the area. Mowrey's parents saw the tape and believe their daughter was one of the applicants pictured. An image of the woman is posted below this case summary. She has not been confirmed to be Mowrey; neither has she been identified as anyone else.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.