British actress Wendy Richard dead at 65

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LONDON – British actress Wendy Richard, whose four-decade television career included roles as a sexy sitcom shop assistant and a working class matriarch on the soap opera "EastEnders," died Thursday after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 65.

Richard's agent, Kevin Francis, said she died in a London clinic with husband John Burns by her side.

She had parts in several of the cheap-and-cheerful "Carry On" film comedies, and in TV shows including "Up Pompeii!" and "The Likely Lads" before becoming famous as Miss Brahms, a staff member of the fictional Grace Brothers department store in 1970s sitcom "Are You Being Served?"

Richard was known to millions around the world as put-upon matriarch Pauline Fowler in "EastEnders," a long-running soap set in a close-knit east London neighborhood. Richard appeared in the show's first episode in 1985 and stayed for 21 years, depicting Pauline through trials that included her daughter's teen pregnancy, her son's HIV diagnosis and her husband's breakdown, imprisonment and death.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090226/ap_en_ot/eu_britain_obit_richard/print

I LOVE Are You Being Served, and she was so pretty. RIP Wendy! :(

LONDON – British actress Wendy Richard, whose four-decade television career included roles as a sexy sitcom shop assistant and a working class matriarch on the soap opera "EastEnders," died Thursday after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 65.

Richard's agent, Kevin Francis, said she died in a London clinic with husband John Burns by her side.

She had parts in several of the cheap-and-cheerful "Carry On" film comedies, and in TV shows including "Up Pompeii!" and "The Likely Lads" before becoming famous as Miss Brahms, a staff member of the fictional Grace Brothers department store in 1970s sitcom "Are You Being Served?"

Richard was known to millions around the world as put-upon matriarch Pauline Fowler in "EastEnders," a long-running soap set in a close-knit east London neighborhood. Richard appeared in the show's first episode in 1985 and stayed for 21 years, depicting Pauline through trials that included her daughter's teen pregnancy, her son's HIV diagnosis and her husband's breakdown, imprisonment and death.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090226/ap_en_ot/eu_britain_obit_richard/print

I LOVE Are You Being Served, and she was so pretty. RIP Wendy! :(

AYBS is one of my all time favorites....she was brilliant...absolutely brilliant. Did you all know that she was very close with Princess Di's butler, Paul Burrell? I recently saw a special on him and his trial...Dominick Dunne, IIRC. She was interviewed.

Awwwwww, I loved her!!!

I remember her being in the pop song - "Come Outside" but will have to look up who the guy she sang it with was called.

Although she was to make her name as an actress, Wendy Richard first came to national attention, in 1962, on a novelty pop song, Come Outside, in which she had an attenuated speaking part (“Get lost... Give over”) duetting with the singer Mike Sarne in the role of an importunate young man on pleasure bent. To everyone’s amazement, including her own, the record shot to the top of the charts, where it remained for 19 weeks, selling well over half a million copies. It was her first real brush with fame, if not with fortune — she was paid a flat fee of just £15, and received not a penny in royalties.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4838949/Wendy-Richard.html

I remember reading back in the autumn about Wendy getting married after being diagnosed as terminal... she looked so happy, when she came out after the ceremony. Bless her heart...

RIP Miss Brahms... :( one of my all-time favorite Brit-wit characters. Sassy lady, she was...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back