The Grim Sleeper. Update: Arrest in the Grim Sleeper Case!

Old Broad

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A lot of information in this article.

http://www.laweekly.com/general/features/the-sex-murder-files/13726/

Inglewood homicide detective Jeffrey Steinhoff was stumped by the March 2002 killing of a girl named Princess: Only 14 years old, the runaway from Hawthorne had been in and out of foster homes and was working as a prostitute when she was murdered. Her nude body was dumped in bushes in an alley.

The trail for her killer had gone cold. But in December 2004, Steinhoff learned of a possible breakthrough: The sheriff’s crime lab found traces of the same DNA on her body and two other slain women. In 2005, another match was made, suggesting that four victims could have been killed by the same person. Further, Princess Berthomieux and one of the women had been strangled; the other two had been shot with a .25-caliber handgun. Ballistics tests linked those two cases with six other handgun killings.

Suddenly, the mystery of Princess’ death triggered more frightening questions: Was a single serial killer responsible for the murders of at least 10 victims in L.A. County? And was this person still on the loose? The DNA didn’t match any names in police databases so there was little the detective could do with the new information. Then, last summer, on August 3, he got a phone call from a Fresno County District Attorney’s Office investigator. A jail inmate named Roger Hausmann, accused of kidnapping two teenaged girls, had allegedly made some troubling statements about killing prostitutes in Los Angeles. Was this guy connected to the murders of Princess and nine others?

More at link.

Old Broad

Very interesting article. Thank you for posting it. I hope the DNA results are back sooner rather than later. This guy, Hausmann, is beyond words.

Is anyone familiar with "The Grim Sleeper" case out in California? Suspect is unknown black male who allegedly has attacked 12 victims, 11 murdered with 1 survivor. Attacks all took place in the Los Angeles area from 1988-2002. This case needs to be spotlighted and I'm hoping that this discussion forum will help spotlight it and we can help the victims and their families.

Tricia jumping in herelliottness,

An arrest has been made. Here is one link.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38133825/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Discussion of the arrest takes place on page three of this thread.

Wow. I have never heard of this case.
This guy needs to be stopped.

I have heard of this guy before! I think there was an article I read in the LA Times which was basically railing against the police for not going public when he started killing again to warn the public. I look forward to reading this article in its entirety.

He stopped killing for 13 years. There has to be a reason for that. My first guess would be that he was in prison which means his fingerprints and possibly DNA are on file.

By any chance is it possible that it's a copycat?
ETA, no, dosn't look like it, since they have DNA linking him. Wow.
Then again, there's some victims that don't have his DNA it looks like. Maybe some are attributed to him that aren't actually his victims.

We have got to help these victims. I am very frustrated that this story has not been profiled on the news. I have a feeling that if these victims were white and in a middle-class or upper-class part of California that Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteren would be profiling them every night. And I say this as a white person, but it really angers me how the white victims are spotlighted even when there is no news in the case yet the minority victims barely get any press.

These women were victims of this monster and we have to help them. There must be something we can all do and that's what I'm trying to do.

Police hunt 'Grim Sleeper' serial killer
(CNN) -- Los Angeles police are searching for a serial killer dubbed the "Grim Sleeper," who is thought to have killed 11 people.

The killer, who police say murdered from 1985 to 2007, was nicknamed the Grim Sleeper because he seemed to take a break between homicides, police said.

[...]

The killer is wanted in 11 deaths and another homicide attempt, police say.
Full article: click here

Is anyone familiar with "The Grim Sleeper" case out in California? Suspect is unknown black male who allegedly has attacked 12 victims, 11 murdered with 1 survivor. Attacks all took place in the Los Angeles area from 1988-2002. This case needs to be spotlighted and I'm hoping that this discussion forum will help spotlight it and we can help the victims and their families.

I am very familiar w/ this case. I have studied it for quite awhile. There are so many bizarre and strange facts that I can not believe this monster is still on the loose. The most recent info that I have seen on this case is that a 911 call was recently released to the public. I hope this will garner new info.

I thought we had a thread on this already? I did a search, so maybe not. Puzzling case anyway.

Are you thinking of the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker? That is who I originally thought they were talking about. http://www.ear-ons.com/index2.html

REgarding the GrimSleeper, it think it is alarming the chruch connections. Wonder if this is another Dennis Rader who was a church member/leader.

This a.m. I was half asleep during the morning news shows. I vaguely remember them saying something about some other murders being tied to a serial killer including someone Asthon Kurcher dated. Did anybody else see that? Was it the GrimSleeper they were talking about? (I will search when I have more time)

Are you thinking of the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker? That is who I originally thought they were talking about.

No, I was definitely thinking of the Grim Reaper. Must have been on one of the other boards I frequent. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

We have got to help these victims. I am very frustrated that this story has not been profiled on the news. I have a feeling that if these victims were white and in a middle-class or upper-class part of California that Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteren would be profiling them every night. And I say this as a white person, but it really angers me how the white victims are spotlighted even when there is no news in the case yet the minority victims barely get any press.

These women were victims of this monster and we have to help them. There must be something we can all do and that's what I'm trying to do.

I agree! All these poor people need more voices to speak up for them!

Are you thinking of the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker? That is who I originally thought they were talking about. http://www.ear-ons.com/index2.html

REgarding the GrimSleeper, it think it is alarming the chruch connections. Wonder if this is another Dennis Rader who was a church member/leader.

This a.m. I was half asleep during the morning news shows. I vaguely remember them saying something about some other murders being tied to a serial killer including someone Asthon Kurcher dated. Did anybody else see that? Was it the GrimSleeper they were talking about? (I will search when I have more time)

They are linking the murder of a former g/f of Ashton Kurcher to a murder in another state, Chicago? Ok, here's an old article. Yes, there are two girls in California and one in Chicago in '93 (he lived there then). Of course, this morning his lawyer denied all charges but the police say there's enough evidence.

JMHO
fran

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-murder-of-Ashton-Kutchers-ex-girlfriend.html

Grim Sleeper begins his killings in 1985 and continues for the next 3 years until suddenly he stops in 1988...why? I'm guessing that he gets arrested in 1988 and doesn't get out of jail until 2001 or 2002. What happens? The killings start again and in the same area.

Call me crazy, but I believe this guy is still in the Los Angeles area. He's got a pattern. Most of the murders take place near churches and most of the victims wind up being found in alleyways. Many of the victims are prostitutes.

Is there a way to get a list of recent parolees for the years 2001-2002?

Grim Sleeper begins his killings in 1985 and continues for the next 3 years until suddenly he stops in 1988...why? I'm guessing that he gets arrested in 1988 and doesn't get out of jail until 2001 or 2002.
Since they have run his DNA against the state's criminal data bank, with no results, my guess is that he may have been institutionalized as opposed to being in the criminal justice system during those years. Or... he may not have been involved in any sort of psychiatric care. Rather, involved in a relationship that reduced his desire to kill. You know, similar to Dennis Rader and Gary Ridgeway?

Since they have run his DNA against the state's criminal data bank, with no results, my guess is that he may have been institutionalized as opposed to being in the criminal justice system during those years. Or... he may have been involved in a relationship that reduced his desire to kill. You know, similar to Dennis Rader and Gary Ridgeway?

I immediately thought of BTK when I first studied this case.
I also wonder if there was anyway this perp. could have been in the military.
In the military, DNA samples are taken from all 'soldiers', however, the DNA is not tested nor entered into a data base until a reason is indicated. (At least when I took a continuing education class in Oct. 2008 that is what was taught to us).

The things that I have a hard time grasping are:
-the van that was identified by a witness. The vans engine was still warm when LE arrived. How many people had access to keys for that van? There is a HUGE clue attached to the van. Did LE search for prints? DNA? Did they find anything?

-the only surviving victim reports the killer took her picture. At that time, there were no digital cameras, no computers that would print your pics etc.... I wonder if he used a Polaroid camera or did he have the pics developed? Could he have worked in a photo lab and developed the pics himself?

-the orange Pinto. Don't all cars that are tagged / registered have a description? Could records of all orange Pintos not have been reviewed?

These are just a few of the questions I have about this case. I have followed this for a long time. It is a perplexing saga.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back