Teen Critically Burned Trying To Kill Head Lice

White Rain

Reaction score
My gosh, how sad. I wonder if this girl had tried other things, such as RID first. I have heard that lice were becoming immune to it. Maybe she tried other stuff and it didn't work.

EVANSVILLE, Ind. — An Indiana teenager who soaked her hair in gasoline to try to kill head lice was critically burned when the gas fumes ignited and set her head ablaze, Evansville, Ind. police said.
Eighteen-year-old Jessica Brooks is in serious condition at the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville, Ky., following Sunday night's fire at her Evansville apartment.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,501584,00.html

Oh bless her heart. Just bless her sweet heart. I'm so sad to hear this. You know it's an old folktale that kerosene will kill lice. In fact, I think it was used in the hills. She probably thought that gas would work as well.

She will never be the same.

This is heartbreaking. Usually I can think of something to say even if it's just a few words, but right now I'm speechless.

God be with her.

OMG, the poor girl. I hope she pulls through. Prayers to her friends and family.

My prayes are with her and her family. She was planning on getting married in May. I hope she makes a full recovery!

Oh dear God. I feel sorry for her, but this was not very smart. I don't know that much about head lice, but would just shaving your head work? Come on, a few months without hair would be worth it.

Gas? I'm speechless that someone would not know that was a bad idea.

She probably didn't want to shave her head because I think I read where she was supposed to get married in May. You're right, it wasn't very bright, but she must have been desperate to get rid of them.

I found an article that is from WHAS-11, there is a video at the link and more detail to how seriously she has been injured.

http://www.whas11.com/medical/stories/WHAS11-LOCALNEWS-090227-LICE-BURNS.cdca056.html

Snippets from article:

"Newly engaged and looking forward to graduation and the senior prom, Jessica Brooks was battling a secret that ultimately drove her to tragedy, head lice."

and:

"“I know she had it for a while and tried and tried and tried. It’s hard when you can’t afford (it) and it’s not a cheap thing to get rid of,” said Susan Outlaw, Jessica’s mother."

and:

"Jessica received second and third degree burns from her waist up."

"Using gasoline to kill head lice is a practice long outdated and can be dangerous." ( I knew of this home remedy and the kerosene remedy but they have been outdated for decades)

"Jessica will be sedated for about a month."

I think it's important to note that this young lady was still a senior in High School, due to graduate in May and get married as well. My heart breaks for her, one bad choice will effect her for the rest of her life.

This poor child. Sadly, things like this happen more than we know. I taught special education for many years. We had a family who had four children with cognitive disabilities and one child who did not have any disabilities. They all got head lice and could not get rid of them. The child without disabilities had them worse than the other children so the mother used Diazinon (the stuff that goes on your lawn) on her head. The little girl ended up more impaired than her siblings. What a truly heartbreaking story......my prayers are with this girl.

Oh bless her heart. Just bless her sweet heart. I'm so sad to hear this. You know it's an old folktale that kerosene will kill lice. In fact, I think it was used in the hills. She probably thought that gas would work as well.

She will never be the same.

My Mom used kerosene on my sister when she had lice. But that was 40 years ago. It got rid of the lice. But the oily kerosene was hard to get out of her hair after wards.

Poor girl! I know how hard it can be to get rid of it. My kids caught it once from a classmate and it took months to get rid of it. The RID and other pesticide treatments DO NOT WORK. I tried all the home remedies that I found on the internet, bought tons of over the counter treatments, tried presciption stuff for it and I still couldn't get rid of it. I finally shaved all the boys heads, took all the stuffed animals and clothes to the laundromat and washed and dried them on super heat, and then had all the carpets deep cleaned. It was awful.

Oh dear God. I feel sorry for her, but this was not very smart. I don't know that much about head lice, but would just shaving your head work? Come on, a few months without hair would be worth it.

Hi Ziggy Shaving your head would not work, lice is very contagious and the bugs lay tiny gold eggs in the hair, in order to remove lice you would need to comb out all of the eggs and use the shampoo, wash everything from stuffed animals to blankets towells etc if you dont wash the stuff animals you can place them in trashbags and tie it in a knot and let them sit for days killing the infestation. The eggs continue to hatch in the hair causing more bugs, unless you get all the eggs out. Washing with the shampoo and not combing the eggs out will not work. They also make a spray stuff to try helping eliminate it also to use on couches rugs etc. I feel really sorry for her as well, and hope she gets better soon!

My Mom used kerosene on my sister when she had lice. But that was 40 years ago. It got rid of the lice. But the oily kerosene was hard to get out of her hair after wards.

Yes tekilla, my aunt used it on one or more of her children about 40 or so years ago that I remember. I know it was atleast 40 yrs ago because they are my older cousins and I am 47.

O/T but I was born and raised in Louisville :) I just haven't lived there in over 16 yrs.

ETA: I should have said folk rememdy than folktale!

I was hoping it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I hate to sound so negative, but even if she survives she's going to have a long, hard road ahead of her.

I was so sad to read this this story :( One of my sons was infested 2 years ago....we had NO idea until we went to get his hair cut. Granted, my boys have longer hair, but I could have DIED!!!!!! I stayed up till 3 am or so washing every stinking thing we had....we did the comb outs daily...kids just love that (sarcasm). I'll never forget having my hubby check me and giving me the all clear. The next day I told him to take one half of my sons head and handed him a comb. He looked up and said, "what exactly am I looking for...what do they look like?" My heart sank...I knew I hadn't been checked adequately...LOL. It took a couple weeks, lots of hard work, lots of washings, treatment, and checking everyone daily but we got rid of them. It was a nightmare!!!!! I remember too when one of my sons friends had it and was scared to tell her parents.....gosh I don't understand why there is such a social stigma attached to it. Lice like clean hair (they can attach) better than dirty!!!!!!

I hope she has a speedy recovery....poor girl.

The bio parents of my 4 we are adopting SHAVED the lil girls hair BOLD! The first time I took them to a Salon to get their hair trimmed they had a panic attack and just cried. I had my long * way past my bra strap*hair cut off to my chin to show them they would not be harmed and they would be ok. They STILL have nightmares about when they was forced to go to school with no hair :( Their self esteem was damaged very badly and I am not sure they will ever get over how they felt that day when all of their beautiful hair was shaved off, or when all the children at school made fun of them and called them boys.

O/T but I was born and raised in Louisville :) I just haven't lived there in over 16 yrs.

ETA: I should have said folk remedy than folktale!

Oh my, you are a long ways from home.

Oh my goodness, that poor girl! Lice can truly be a nightmare. My 10yo stepdaughter had them for soo long. We tried so many things to get rid of them, and for ages nothing was working. Rid and Nix and that stuff just doesn't work anymore and it is expensive. We seriously considered shaving her head but at her age you just can't do that. Finally we found this little miracle device called the Robicomb and were able to get rid of the problem once and for all.

This situation does tend to make people desperate. I can see how it would be even more embarrassing for a teenage girl. I wish she could've talked to a doctor or school counselor or somebody first! Lots of prayers for her and her family!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back