Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Status
Not open for further replies.

KT Can

Reaction score

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/91uftx.html

http://www.unsolved-crimes.com/walkerco.html

Unidentified White Female
Located on November 1, 1980 in Walker County, Texas.
Cause of death was homicide.
The victim had been dead for six hours before she was found.

• [*]Estimated age: 14 1/2 - 16 1/2 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'3" (most likely 5'2"); 110 - 120 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair past the shoulders, cut in wing fashion, natural, no evidence of color treatment. Brown or Hazel eyes. A 1 1/2" scar at end of right eyebrow . Her ears were pierced. Her toenails was painted pink. No tattoos.
    [*]Clothing: She was wearing a rectangular-shaped pendant with a smoky blue stone on a gold chain (as seen in the victim's sketch above). She may have been wearing jeans and a yellow shirt. A pair of high-heeled sandals, 3" or 4" inch platforms with light brown straps, had been thrown beside the body.
    [*]Dentals: Available. Her teeth had been well cared for.
    [*]Fingerprints: Available
    [*]DNA: mtDNA available in CODIS
Case History
The victim's body was dumped on side of I-45 north, 2 miles north of Huntsville, TX. The general condition of the body and her overall health and nutrition indicated she had probably come from a middle class home. There were no identification with the body. No semen was found on or in the victim's body.
When the murder became known through media accounts, several people came forward and said they’d seen a teenager matching her description the day before her body was found.
A witness identified the victim as a girl who had been at the South End Gulf station around 6:30 p.m. on Halloween night asking for directions to the Ellis prison unit.
She had been wearing blue jeans, a yellow pullover sweater with big pockets that hung below her waist, and she was carrying high-heeled sandals in her hand. To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or ‘74 blue Chevrolet, possibly a Caprice, with a lighter colored top, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling, and perhaps sleeping in her clothes.
She left the station, walking north on Sam Houston avenue.
A waitress working at the Hitchin’ Post truck stop on Interstate 45 said the girl came into the restaurant the same evening and again, asked for directions to the Ellis Unit, saying she had a friend there. A map was drawn for her and she departed.
The waitress asked the girl how old she was and the girl responded 19. The witness thought that was an obvious lie and then asked the girl if her parents knew where she was. The young girl replied, "Who cares". The witness then stated she asked her where she was from. The girl replied Aransas Pass/Rockport, TX area. It has not been verified that the girl was the unidentified victim.
Her photograph was shown to every inmate at Ellis Prison Unit, but no one claimed to know the girl.
On January 16, 1981, the unidentified girl was buried in the Adickes Addition at Oakwood Cemetery. Huntsville Funeral Home buried her, and Morris Memorials provided her tombstone.
It is believed that Henry Lee Lucas killed this girl, but investigators could not make a match between the bite mark on her left shoulder and his dental reconstruction.

Case Details:
Walker County Jane Doe was found lying face down and nude by a truck driver on November 1, 1980 near the Sam Houston National Forest in Walker County Texas. This is about a half mile south of the FM 1696 exit near Huntsville.
The victim, an attractive young teenage girl, had been savagely beaten and sexually assaulted before dying by slow strangulation. Her face and body were covered with bruises from the beating and there was a human bite mark on her back near her right shoulder. The autopsy revealed she had been sexually assaulted with a blunt instrument.
When the murder was reported, several people came forward and said they'd seen a teenager matching her description the day before her body was found. One witness, the manager of a gas station which no longer exists, positively identified the victim as a girl who had been at the station around 6:30 p.m. Halloween night asking for directions to the Ellis prison unit. She was wearing blue jeans, a yellow pullover sweater with big pockets that hung below her waist, and carrying high-heeled sandals in her hand. To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or 74 blue Chevrolet, possibly a Caprice, with a lighter colored top, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling and perhaps sleeping in her clothes. She left the station, walking north on Sam Houston avenue.
A waitress working at the Hitchin Post truck stop out on Interstate 45 said the girl came into the restaurant the same evening and again, asked for directions to the Ellis Unit, saying she had a friend there. A map was drawn for her and she departed. She never reached the Ellis Unit and she was never seen alive again.

I hope she can be identified. How sad that she asked "who cares?" when asked about her family and for 29 years strangers who cared very much have been trying to give her a name.

There is a thread about her on Porchlight, including an article from a magazine with more information on her murder and a post-mortem photo. It appears the photo was the one used to draw her profile sketch that appears on Doe Network.

** WARNING: POST-MORTEM PHOTO AND GRAPHIC DETAILS IN ARTICLE **
<modsnip: bad link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Good finds! I think Diane Dye physically resembles Jane Doe but it was reported a friend saw her alive in 1981 so that would seemingly rule her out provided the friend was being truthful.

Kimberly Doss also looks a lot like Jane Doe, IMO, and she might have been away from home in FL long enough to have gotten to know someone who might be in the Ellis unit.

In one of the aricles on porchlight I noted that she was slightly over 5 ft tall....that is quite a discrepency between 5'7-5'8.........which is correct?

I'm thinking Rachael Garden, same height (if the 5'2" is accurate). Eye color, hazel, though, porchlight indicates jane doe is 5'5"-5'7"

In one of the aricles on porchlight I noted that she was slightly over 5 ft tall....that is quite a discrepency between 5'7-5'8.........which is correct?

I'm saying, big discrepancy. I'm thinking I might email LE and try to verify the info and see if they can give us any additional details. I wanted to post on her case here first to see if any of my fellow WS's had anything before I did so though.

I would really love to see this poor girl identified, she is never far from my mind. I live in a suburb north of Houston but we also have property in the country about 25 miles past Huntsville, TX which is where we spend a lot of our weekends. Anyhoo, I think about her every single time we drive past the exit on I-45 where she was found, which is about 2 miles past Huntsville.

KTCan :( how sad thanks for bringing this to attention

Can you tell me what is Ellis prison unit ? is it a small prison ? how far is it from where she was found

She is on Namus https://identifyus.org/?p=case&i=4630&=178&s=DateFound_DESC&from=search

says 105 weight and 61 inches estimated - so approx 5ft 1

What do you think https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/946/18/

http://www.crimesolvers.com/crime/Remick missing.php

There were rumors that Marcia was in Florida @ the time , hitch hiking etc

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/227dfva.html

brown hair and green eyes which could be also mistaken for hazel if dull

It says on one place she has blonde hair too ! but its brown by the looks to me

picture.php

General Information

Ellis Unit houses a maximum of 2,337 Male Offenders.​

Custody Levels Housed

G1-G5, Administrative Segregation, Outside Trusty.​

Ellis Unit Contact Information

Ellis Unit
1697 FM 980
Huntsville TX 77343

Driving Directions To Ellis Unit

This Unit is located 12 miles North of Huntsville at 1697 FM 980 in Walker County.

This unit was established in July 1965. It is located on Approximately 11,327 acres. Ellis and Estelle work in cooperation: Cotton Gin, Cow/Calf Operation, Egg Laying Operation, Farm Shop, Field Crops, Security Horses/Dogs, Unit Garden, Swine Farrowing, Nursery and Fnishing Operation. Manufacturing includes a Bus Repair Shop, Farm Shop, Garment Factory, Woodworking Shop, Texas International Hardwood and Veneer, Inc. Region I Maintenance Headquarters, Region I asbestos, Unit Maintenance. This Unit also serves as a In-Service Training Facility.

Telephone

936-295-5756​

Senior Warden

Alfred C. Janicek​

Regional Director

Robert Treon Region I

CI Division Deputy Director

Walker County Jane Doe was found lying face down and nude by a truck driver on November 1, 1980 near the Sam Houston National Forest in Walker County Texas. This is about a half mile south of the FM 1696 exit near Huntsville.

apparently her DNA is available in CODIS - does that mean that all Missing Persons whos have DNA in CODIS can be automatically ruled out?

If you would like to RKNowley LOL

I dont know OC Lady ?

PM Christine she would know that answer Im sure :)

I did ask Christine the question about CODIS and she responded that, if a missing person's DNA is in CODIS and a UID's DNA is also in CODIS, they are in all probability not a match...she said they are "run and re-run".

Thanks to Christine for answering this!

Maybe someone should edit the title of this thread to warn for the post-mortem photo.

Speaking of the photo, does her hair look wavy/curly or is that just her layered haircut? I believe you had to have some layers in your hair to pull off the Seventies/Eighties "wing" style. Most of the missing girls look like they have naturally straight hair.

Is there a way to tell if a UID's hair has been permed or is naturally curly/wavy?

JaneInOz that looks like a post mortem or is it just a reconstruction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123