1218 users online (208 members and 1010 guests)  

Websleuths News

Georgia, USA

Car with child, 5, sinks in icy Colorado river

Very sad... grandmother (driver) & 11 year-old were able to get out. Prayers for the family:

Penn's woods
    I'm not sure if they have found the five yr old yet:

"Danica Maestas was last seen inside the car as it sank about 12:30 p.m. Friday, about 28 miles northeast of Moab. It crashed when her grandmother, Evelyn M. Maestas, 60, of Mancos, Colo., turned from the wheel while driving on State Road 128 to comfort the girl with a headache who was in the back seat, said UHP Sgt. Darrel Mecham.

The car, also carrying Maestas' adopted daughter, 11-year-old Tori, drifted from the narrow highway and crashed about 60 feet down the canyon and into the river.

Evelyn and Tori Maestas were able to escape, but Danica was last seen inside the car as it sank. The search was called off just before sunset on Friday, and continued about 7 a.m. Saturday."
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

North Carolina
    God bless little Danica and her family. The poor grandma will probably have survivors guilt.
    Happy New Years

In the Woods In Georgia
    God Bless this family. I couldn't imagine the pain they are living through right now.
    Justice For Caylee Marie

Just read they found the little girl's body. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504054,00.htm.

Let's try this again. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504054,00.html
    Last edited by ges79; 03-03-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Corrected and working link

Atlanta, GA
    A similar crash into a small office park lake happened a mile from my house a few nights ago. A Father and his 5-year-old daughter were killed. So sad. http://www.ajc.com/hp/content/metro/...lake_cobb.html
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Georgia, USA
    Update: Little Danika's body has been recovered. This article has details of the efforts of passersby the accident site immediately after the car plunged 60 feet down the embankment & into the swift & frigid water.

"Rounding a curve on the road along the Colorado River, Kevin Fitzgerald saw a soaking wet young girl, barefoot and yelling, "Help me." She said her mommy was still down the cliff and sister was in the car in the river."