Caroline's phone number

olive

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if police called the number on the note from Caroline?

I understand they didn't have the area code, but so what, they could have called the area codes that had that prefix until they found the correct number.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I suppose it would not be resourceful to try to call this number now, so many years after the fact and the invention of cell phones. But phone companies would have records from '95. The investigators need to research this number (cross-scanned by every area code) until they can get a Caroline.

I'm just perplexed by this.

I've followed this case for a few years now, and as far as I know, it remains unknown as to whether the police attempted to contact people with that number. You'd think that they must have, but it would be nice to get confirmation of the fact.

I've wondered the same thing. Yes, it would be a lot of dialing and explaining, but there is a finite amount of numbers it could possibly be, and it seems a small price to pay for an ID on a unidentified body. I mean you could knock out 10 a day and be done in less than a month I bet. They've had since 1995 . . .

There is a recent update regarding the phone number in the "general updates" thread.

Phone number and ticket stubs were followed up on and led no where.

How far it was pursued, I don't know. Maybe Salem will be able to answer that.

Can anyone clarify if police called the number on the note from Caroline?

I understand they didn't have the area code, but so what, they could have called the area codes that had that prefix until they found the correct number.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I suppose it would not be resourceful to try to call this number now, so many years after the fact and the invention of cell phones. But phone companies would have records from '95. The investigators need to research this number (cross-scanned by every area code) until they can get a Caroline.

I'm just perplexed by this.

My jaw would hit the floor if it turned out they didn't at least try to follow up on the phone number. I mean that is golden! Who gets a UID with a phone number attached. Also the phone might not be under Caroline but her parents names.

Has this case been featured on any kind of show? Chances are one of the Caroline's could be watching.

My jaw would hit the floor if it turned out they didn't at least try to follow up on the phone number. I mean that is golden! Who gets a UID with a phone number attached. Also the phone might not be under Caroline but her parents names.

Has this case been featured on any kind of show? Chances are one of the Caroline's could be watching.

It was featured on Unsolved Mysteries at some point. Beyond that, I don't know what media exposure "Jason" has had. I agree with you though, I think that would be the best hope for finding one or both Carolines, or anyone that he knew!

I spoke with the investigating officer on this case about a week ago. He said yes they followed up on both the phone number and the ticket stubs. Neither led anywhere. As I think we all pretty much know, the tickets were sold by someone who bought a bunch and then sold them to who knows who.

The officer said they called the number but were never able to locate a "Caroline." The impression I got was that the general feeling in the investigation was that the girls gave Jason a fake number. Neither Caroline has ever come forward and the phone number was a dead end.

Salem

I spoke with the investigating officer on this case about a week ago. He said yes they followed up on both the phone number and the ticket stubs. Neither led anywhere. As I think we all pretty much know, the tickets were sold by someone who bought a bunch and then sold them to who knows who.

The officer said they called the number but were never able to locate a "Caroline." The impression I got was that the general feeling in the investigation was that the girls gave Jason a fake number. Neither Caroline has ever come forward and the phone number was a dead end.

Salem

While it is certainly possible that the girls gave him a wrong number intentionally, I wonder if the investigators ever looked into phone numbers that were very similar and just off by a digit. I don't know what kind of resources were available in 1995, and if there was some database that they could have looked through to find phone numbers that had a similar combination of digits.

This just comes to my mind, because a couple of months ago someone gave me a number to call them at, and it was off by the last digit. They didn't even notice the mistake until I sent them an email about it. Maybe Caroline just goofed in the same way? maybe a couple joints or several beers at a concert fudged her thinking process?

I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point in time, just thinking (well, writing..) out loud, I guess.

2 Girls, 1 number. Caroline O. and Carolina T. I think they were roommates. When people called and asked for Caroline, they would automatically say, Caroline O. or Caroline T? Sounds just like college girls. I know Chapel Hill has been mentioned because of the prefix, I think that is a good lead.

Also, I have always wondered why there was no area code. Either the girls were not very smart or they and Jason lived in the same area code. I bet they were all living in NC.

NCSleuth, That is really good thinking, has anyone ever checked college yearbooks in NC for the two Carolines? You may really be onto something here. Good work for only your 5th post!!.....Maureen

Thanks Salem and Maureen.

I have been following websleuths for a while, normally I just read the posts. Its a great site.

This case really bothers me, I grew up about 15 minutes from there. I wish we had a little more info, like actual pictures, the entire phone number, etc.

Does anyone know the address of the driver's father's house? I know it was in Glouchester county, but where? Is that why he was on hwy 58? Why didn't he take the I85 exit near Petersburg?

The Caroline note is an interesting tip in determining this young man's identity.

My theories:

1.) Carolines were friends, possibly roommates at college
2.) The lack of an area code seems to indicate that perhaps Jason knew one or both of the girls lived in the same area, or that he was familiar enough with the area where they came from that they didn't feel a need to include an area code (ex: they all went to UNC in Chapel Hill, just put apartment phone numberetc.)
3.) The concert was in late June, and most colleges and universities had let out in Mid-May. I don't think this was a dorm phone as the Carolines would have moved out for the summer already by the time Jason ran into them at the concert.

I also think that perhaps Jason may have met up with the girls and hung out, maybe slept over at their house/apt. and the girls left a note when they left early in AM next day etc. I wouldn't leave a note for a friend unless they were sleeping in the morning after a concert or a party, assuming they would call me later OR if I had waited around at a meeting point and that person never shower-I'd leave a note like this on my front door, car windshield etc. Maybe the girls stayed at Jason's place that night, perhaps they were all from DC or NOVA area and snuck out early in the morning the next day leaving the note so as not to wake him. Another idea is that the Carolines were tailgating with him before show, went to show, and in the area before cells and texting, left a note at a prearranged site (maybe a third party car they had been hanging out around) to indicate they had left show already and to get in touch later?

ALSO as a side note...Grateful Dead tickets, a Dead shirt from the tour, FILA shoes, perfect teeth-- indicates to me that Jason was probably from an upper/upper middle class socio-economic group. I also think the name Caroline is often associated with girls that would have Jason's peer age who would come from a similar socio-economic background. The fact that he didn't have a wallet or any other luggage seems to suggest to me that other items he was traveling with did not find their way to him after the concert. Most teens and 20 somethings would have had at least some cash, maybe a velcro wallet with Learner's Permit, license etc. inside. I find it strange that a kid who appears to have clothing that indicates perhaps a middle/upper class socio-economic background has NOTHING on them.

You know - was the driver of the car attending school? Maybe Jason was just taking a quick ride with the driver down to see his mom, before doing whatever for the summer? Maybe that's why he didn't have anything with him?

That's only half a thought in my head, I'll come back when I complete it :)

Salem

Can someone send this in to AMW? These cases can be solved if we get it out to the media, a friend or family would remember this young man and I really think it has a chance of getting solved if it's put out to the MSM. There should be a magazine solely for missing people that everybody should read!

Phone number - A lot of places in the US didn't require an area number to call someone unless you were calling long distance.

Following some ideas here I narrowed down the prefix to being that from Maryland and decided to look at colleges the girls may have attended.......this lead me to Bel Air MD and The international Beauty school as well as Harford Community College. I checked classmates.com with no avail. I have yet to access an online yearbook or an alumni site for either school, I will continue to dig... I also tried to search for arrest reports for a female Caroline in the state of MD for various years in the 90's...but no luck yet. Just some stabs in the dark here....

Maybe the number is from Canada? I was thinking about the idea he may be from another country. I have heard Australia but their #'s go (12)3456-7890. Also, if he used a passport in '95 he surely must have been entered into the 'system' and the gov't would know if he didn't go back...or something like that-I really have no idea how things work but, I imagine... However, if JD came from Canada or Mexico in '95 he would not have needed a passport and more often than not customs just had to look at your license and wave you through.
Does anyone know the full #? I would like to get it somehow.

At this point I think the only way this case is ever going to be solved is to get it out there in the media. Other than that I think the only slight chance of anyone figuring this out is finding the girls that left the note. I think we probably have a better chance of finding Caroline O as last names with the letter O are not very common. I keep hoping that someday we will be able to give this guy a name and send him home.

I agree the story needs to get out in the media, but it needs a national venue. Local media in Virgina is not going to do much good, because it appears Jason was not from Virgina.

I wish I knew how to get his face out there - nationally!

Salem

I think you should find contact info for the people at Pandora dot com. It's an online music site, where people play "channels" of their favorite music. I bet a lot of people traveling to see the Dead in the early 90's are now grooving at home fixing supper for their families while listening to the Dead on Pandora. It could be a targeted ad placement for people who select that music. Another option would be XM or Sirius for their Deadhead specialty shows.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back