1352 users online (198 members and 1154 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/...jan2006leb.htm

(snip)
    Although Courtney grew up in the Portland, Oregon, area, he has moved extensively during his adult life. There is a high possibility that he has assaulted other victims in the following areas: Albuquerque, New Mexico (7/1994-8/ 1994, 8/1997, and 11/2000); Anchorage, Alaska (1989-1992); Beaverton, Oregon (1986-1992); Bernalillo, New Mexico (5/1995-8/1997); Cape Canaveral, Florida (5/2001-3/2003); Cocoa Beach, Florida (5/2001-9/2002); Grants, New Mexico (9/1995); Pensacola, Florida (5/2001); Portland, Oregon (1980-1989, 1993, and 2004); and Rio Rancho, New Mexico (6/1996-2004). In addition, he is known to have traveled to Mexico via Arizona.

ETA: Alert to Law Enforcement

Law enforcement agencies should bring this information to the attention of all homicide, sex offender, and cold case units regarding cases in which Joel Patrick Courtney may be involved. Anyone having cases similar to the described modus operandi with the suspect’s DNA evidence should contact Crime Analyst Vicki McRoberts, Corvallis, Oregon, Police Department at 541766-6989 or Crime Analyst Ken Whitla of the ViCAP Unit at 703-632-4254. The Corvallis Police Department maintains a DNA profile for the suspect.
    Last edited by SuziQ; 02-24-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add info

snip
    Officer Nadine Hamby said the bodies appear to have been buried between 2003 and 2005, and authorities believe the deaths were tied to a single incident.
    snip

This is a snip from the CNN article. I am assuming that it appears as if there was a mass grave dug, and then these folks were executed. If there were bullets, then I assume they would have been found among the remains and COD would be no surprise.

So were they killed elsewhere and dumped? How does someone control at least 9 adults and kill them? There is no mention that they were bound-perhaps that is holdback.

This is a puzzler, given the differing press reports...first of a serial killer and now a statement about a single incident??
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

ďThe first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.Ē
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    snip
    Officer Nadine Hamby said the bodies appear to have been buried between 2003 and 2005, and authorities believe the deaths were tied to a single incident.
    snip

This is a snip from the CNN article. I am assuming that it appears as if there was a mass grave dug, and then these folks were executed. If there were bullets, then I assume they would have been found among the remains and COD would be no surprise.

So were they killed elsewhere and dumped? How does someone control at least 9 adults and kill them? There is no mention that they were bound-perhaps that is holdback.

This is a puzzler, given the differing press reports...first of a serial killer and now a statement about a single incident??
    And 9 people missing at once would be quite noticable. A drop house or smuggling occured to me. But that wouldn't explain Chavez' body being there.

Ok, I’ve found ten listed missing between 2003-2005 at the below link. We have 9 bodies (minus the fetus) One body has been identified leaving 8 UID’s. I’ve put asterists by the two I don’t feel fit with the rest. That leaves 8 missing and 8 UID’s. They did not go missing at the same time though. Not sure where I’m going with this yet. Just thought I would post it for consideration.J

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&state=NM&alpha=%

2003-05-30 Brenda Jeen Apalicio

2003-05-15 Monica Diana Candelaria

2005-10-15 Harvey Dale Fernandez

2005-05-14 Nina Brenda Herron

2003-04-14 Christine Julian

2004-10-06 Neil Michael McPhee*

2003-08-01 Alvin Chege Muthemba

2004-03-26 Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar and Jamie Barela (also missing),

2004-03-26 Jamie Barela and Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar

2003-10-07 Joseph William Segur*
    Last edited by SuziQ; 02-24-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fix a name

Ruflossn is offline "Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.", ~ George Bernard Shaw ~
    The cause of Chavez's death was not known, but Albuquerque police spokesman John Walsh speculated last week that her death could be related to violent sex trade.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/24/...ies/index.html

I have been following this story for the past few days. It gets more and more bizarre. There are now 9 adults and 1 unborn child that have been tied to this crime scene. They are all reported dead from one incident and involvement in a violent sex trade is now suspicioned? Only one of the bodies that has been found has been identified, that of a known prostitute and drug abuser. I would immediately begin looking at the identified females victimology. Somewhere amongst her "friends" the truth of what went terribly wrong in the lives of these victims will be found. Whoever "dumped" the bodies in this area, must have been very familiar and comfortable w/ the area.

-One incident killed 10 people (this includes the unborn child)
    -One victim has been identified
    -The identified victim lived a high risk lifestyle
    -One victim was pregnant
    -A violent sex trade has been mentioned as a possible connection
    -The victims were "buried". Their deaths were concealed........ why? If it were tied to drugs I would think burial would be the last thing concerning a drug lord. Wouldn't you want to "send a message" to your enemies that you meant serious business.........

This is a strange, twisted, and sad case.
    It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Ruflossn is offline "Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.", ~ George Bernard Shaw ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    Ok, Iíve found ten listed missing between 2003-2005 at the below link. We have 9 bodies (minus the fetus) One body has been identified leaving 8 UIDís. Iíve put asterists by the two I donít feel fit with the rest. That leaves 8 missing and 8 UIDís. They did not go missing at the same time though. Not sure where Iím going with this yet. Just thought I would post it for consideration.J

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmalistview.php?wstr=Adult&state=NM&alpha=%

2003-05-30 Brenda Jeen Apalicio

2003-05-15 Monica Diana Candelaria

2005-10-15 Harvey Dale Fernandez

2005-05-14 Nina Brenda Herron

2003-04-14 Christine Julian

2004-10-06 Neil Michael McPhee*

2003-08-01 Alvin Chege Muthemba

2004-03-26 Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar and Jamie Barela (also missing),

2004-03-26 Jamie Barela and Evelyn JesusMaria Salazar

2003-10-07 Joseph William Segur*

Awesome work SuziQ!

Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    That is what I thought of too. In AZ we have a problem with coyotes (people who carry illegals across the border for money) dumping people in the desert, where they succumb to the elements, and many illegals getting killed in drug issues.

Given the very few facts that have been released as of this time, I am thinking along these lines too Jules. Not only do the coyotes dump in the desert, I vaguely remember that some have even allowed the people they are transporting to die in large numbers (IIRC the back of a truck/van).

So why not take them out as a group and dump them rather than risk being caught after a number of dead are found and it can be traced back to them?

Interesting theory for now.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Given the very few facts that have been released as of this time, I am thinking along these lines too Jules. Not only do the coyotes dump in the desert, I vaguely remember that some have even allowed the people they are transporting to die in large numbers (IIRC the back of a truck/van).

So why not take them out as a group and dump them rather than risk being caught after a number of dead are found and it can be traced back to them?

Interesting theory for now.
    This really is the only theory that would explain 9 people missing at once and not having them reported missing. Chavez is still a kink though. But she could have been involved in the smuggling side and crossed someone badly.

This really is the only theory that would explain 9 people missing at once and not having them reported missing. Chavez is still a kink though. But she could have been involved in the smuggling side and crossed someone badly.

Then they were either on the verge of death when dumped or contained in something when they died because how do you find 9+ people dead within such a relatively small area?

Lets say they were locked in a container or the back of a truck. Then someone went back and buried them? Or they died in the container/truck and someone took them somewhere and dumped them....
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

ďThe first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.Ē
    ― Maya Angelou

Were these bodies buried? If so, how deep? Digging a grave large enough for 10 would not be easily done.

Wow, it really does appear to be drug or smuggling related if all these deaths occurred in one incident. What confuses me is that while it is a pretty remote area, it is not completely desolate. This area is on the edge of the state's biggest city which is rapidly expanding, (I mean you can see all the houses in the pictures of the crime scene) and this dump was fairly recent so it appears that whomever did this either did not have alot of forethought, or simply did not care about the ramifications of the bodies being discovered.

The one thing that does not make sense to me is Victoria Chavez, her death seems more likely the working of a serial killer. In addition, on the Charley Project, many of New Mexico's missing women have the following tag written in the details of their disappearance:
    "...is one of a dozen women who were reported missing from the Albuquerque area since 2001. All of them were involved in drugs and prostitution, but investigators are not certain whether the cases are related." http://charleyproject.org/cases/h/herron_nina.html

I don't know, my first instinct was that this was going to resolve the whereabouts of many of those 12 missing women, but the circumstances revealed today make that theory less likely, although Victoria Chavez's presence is puzzling in the most obvious scenario of smuggling. I think that more information will leak out in the days to follow that will clarify some of the confusion. Hopefully it will at least, because right now I don't know what to think

I've been following this case and Joel Patrick Courtney keeps coming to mind. LE is pretty sure he's a prolific serial killer, but have not found any victims.

(snip)
    Bernalillo County, New Mexico District Attorney Kari Brandenburg said she thinks Courtney may be linked to some other disappearances and wants investigators to examine where else Courtney may have traveled and stayed between Corvallis and Albuquerque and "see if there are any unresolved cases."
    (great article at link)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/s...ourtney/1.html
    He would certainly appear to be viable suspect, if this is deemed to be the work of a serial killer. (although today's information appears as though this is less likely.) However, I'd like an opinion on the fact that in Courtney's case, of the two victims I know of, they were both wholesome college girls. Would someone prey on both prostitutes and girl next door types?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesikah1 View Post
    He would certainly appear to be viable suspect, if this is deemed to be the work of a serial killer. (although today's information appears as though this is less likely.) However, I'd like an opinion on the fact that in Courtney's case, of the two victims I know of, they were both wholesome college girls. Would someone prey on both prostitutes and girl next door types?
    With the latest info I'm leaning away from Joel. Regarding a serial killer's type, I know some covet a certain type, but also take victims because the opportunity presents itself rather than the type. A prostitute can be easier had, but a pretty college girl might be more difficult. I'm not sure the stats on what serial killers stick with.

ETA: if LE is solid on the years 2003-2005, then that would eleminate Joel because he was arrested in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesikah1 View Post
    Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, did.

Quote Originally Posted by cynsational View Post
    Were these bodies buried? If so, how deep? Digging a grave large enough for 10 would not be easily done.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/24/...ies/index.html

The bodies were buried, I am unaware of an article that says how deeply they were buried............

*Bolding mine

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast