Wanted since 1928: Cops aim to serve warrant

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29439919/

Document find prompts hunt for man accused of writing $30 bad check.

"Sat., Feb. 28, 2009
ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - The Carter County Sheriff's Department is trying to serve an 80-year-old warrant for the arrest of a man who wrote a $30 bad check, although officers are unsure if he is alive.

The warrant, issued in August 1928, calls for the arrest of J.A. Rowland. It says he owes $30 for the bad check, $2 for the arrest fee and 50 cents each for the affidavit and warrant."

I guess I would start with a search of death certificates?

I dunno, that just sounds mean to pursue at this point! :snooty:

omg ,i think there are far more serious things for them to worry about .. picking on an old person shouldnt be one of them .. they should just make him pay the debts if he can and be done with it .. sheesh

Exactly! There's not a single unsolved mugging, car theft or other crime in Carter County they could be looking into instead of pursuing this?

I don't think Barney Fyfe would let it go!

LOL chester! I thought it would be fun to sleuth if we had a first and middle name but we don't.

30 dollars back then was a lot of money, I don't think they should go after the man after all this time, but it would be interesting to know the story behind it and if this was just the beginning of maybe larger crimes? Wonder what the check was used for?

VB

Isn't this such a huge waste of time? Yeah, lot of money in that time but good Lord, did his victim just demand justice? I don't get it.

30 dollars back then was a lot of money, I don't think they should go after the man after all this time, but it would be interesting to know the story behind it and if this was just the beginning of maybe larger crimes? Wonder what the check was used for?

VB

Saddest part is that $30.00 is becoming a "lot of money" again lol

So what are they going to do if he is still alive and is a total invalid at this point?

Is there not a statute of limitation on something like this? It's down right ignorant imo.

This was fun and silly :)

I typed in what 30.00 (1928) dollars would be worth in 2007 (closest year I could get) by looking at inflation...was cool.

What cost $30.00 in 1928 would cost $360.10 in 2007.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Just for fun! :D

That's really cool...Kat, okay sorry, just didn't know what else to type,. 'cept maybe neato.

I looked up crime stats for Carter Co. and it seems they could be doing better things. Granted it's no gang-SO-Drug ridden county-but they still could be doing better things.

I think they just wanted to be on the news. lol And if he was a criminal don't you think he would have done something else and gotten caught then..

Who ever wrote that check, if a very young male, had to make it through the Great Depression, the Korean and World Wars, and now advanced old age. There's no way he's still alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back