1084 users online (249 members and 835 guests)  

Websleuths News

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!

Suggestion

On other forums similiar to this format there is an option to "thank" a poster. I really feel this would be a beneficial feature for websleuths, as we can just click a button to thank a poster rather then responding with a "thank you " post.
    Be Kind to yourself, you are worth it!

Blue_Dolphin308 is offline We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone!
    Thanks Adnoid!

Oh my goodness! You read my mind.When first intoduced at another V-bulletin board,I thought it was stupid. But it is great! It can really cut down on the c/p of thos long posts when someone wants to simply ditto the sentiments.Thanks Adnoid for responding to this suggestion.

No Problem, As time permits!

Wow! Now this is an interesting feature! I just have a question. How do you know what post is a "thanks", a "groan", or whatever the other was?

Thanks, Adnoid!
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Wow! Now this is an interesting feature! I just have a question. How do you know what post is a "thanks", a "groan", or whatever the other was?

Thanks, Adnoid!
    Just thanked your post to test out these new features

Never mind. I figured it out. All you have to do is go to your nic, click
    stats, and it's right there. I'm soooo brilliant!!!! I love when I have one of my "moments".
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I'm sure I'm going to get a "groan" for this... but, the "thanks" and "groan" features are a hinderance in my mind. I belong to another board (not a sleuthing board) and there's a rating scale (reputation or something?). For some folks, it has turned into a popularity contest. That's one of the things I liked about Websleuths - you don't have to worry about being judged on each/every post. Even the reputation system is better, I think, because at least it's not there for all the world to see if someone disagrees with something you say...

Is there a way to see what the majority of members think? Thank you!!!!

The thanks feature simply says you agree with the poster, rather then typing up a post just to say "I agree" or "Thanks" it saves on bandwidth, and I have seen it work well on SEVERAL forums, and uit is completly different then the reputation feature...

BTW I didn't even notice the Groan feture, thats a first I have seen that!

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Is the groan attacking the post or the poster?

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to get a "groan" for this... but, the "thanks" and "groan" features are a hinderance in my mind.

Is there a way to see what the majority of members think? Thank you!!!!
    I was going to start a thread about how much I dislike this new feature. IMO, it breaks up the continuity of the threads. It almost seems like I am having to scroll past advertisements just to get to the next post. I'm not as worried about it being a popularity contest, although I can see that occurring, but just the fact that it is a distraction while reading the thread.

I really, really don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMouse View Post
    I was going to start a thread about how much I dislike this new feature. IMO, it breaks up the continuity of the threads. It almost seems like I am having to scroll past advertisements just to get to the next post. I'm not as worried about it being a popularity contest, although I can see that occurring, but just the fact that it is a distraction while reading the thread.

I really, really don't like it.
    There is already a thread on this in the Jury Room to discuss this new feature.

By the way, I noticed this am that the "Groan" feature is gone...

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

I LOVE the thanks and groans! I too noticed the groans are gone this am. I like them because in certain instances it eliminates the need for quoted replies...which take up so much space.