NY - Kelly Tinyes, 13, brutally murdered, Valley Stream, 3 March 1989

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Investigation reopened in Tinyes Valley Stream murder
BY ANN GIVENS
Staff writers Laura Rivera and Andrew Strickler contributed to this story.
March 3, 2009

Twenty years to the day after the notorious murder of Kelly Ann Tinyes, Nassau District Attorney Kathleen Rice has announced that she is reopening the case to investigate whether the man serving 25 years to life for the slaying might have had an accomplice.
Full article: click here

Kelly and I were the same age when she was murdered, and she went to school with my cousin Frank. I felt very connected to the case because it's in my area and because of her age. I can't believe it's being re-opened!

Here are some facts of the case: (from newsday.com)

THE MURDER On March 3, 1989, Kelly Ann Tinyes, 13, was baby-sitting her younger brother when she got a call from someone named "John" and left the house. The next day her body was found in the basement of the Golub home.

THE DEFENDANT Robert Golub, 21, an unemployed bodybuilder, surrendered to police and pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder.

THE WITNESSES John J. Golub, 14, was at home with two friends at the time of the killing. Glenn McMahon and Steve Bataan, both of Hewlett, later told police that John left their presence only for moments at a time.

THE TRIAL The 1990 trial, televised gavel-to-gavel, was the first in New York's history to rely on DNA evidence. Robert Golub was convicted and sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.

THE INVESTIGATION Two years ago, Nassau District Attorney Kathleen Rice reopened the case to investigate whether Robert Golub had an accomplice.

THE APPEAL Attorneys for Robert Golub appealed his conviction in 1992, claiming that DNA evidence in the case was flawed. His conviction was upheld.

I read about this story this morning and remember when it occured. It was one of the first cases I actively "followed" as a 20 year old college student. I'm very interested to see how this pans out.

I wasn't sure where to put this since it is about an older crime.
"On Monday, the eve of the 20th anniversary of Kelly's murder, a prosecutor said detectives have uncovered new information that is helping shed more light on the case while putting it back in the public spotlight."
More at link...
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6688051

I only recently found out that Kelly was my second cousin on my mother's side. I grew up very close to where this all happened and remember, all too well, hearing the gruesome details of this murder. Our new DA is a "go-getter" and I trust she will see that anyone else responsible is held accountable.

I read the book about this poor girl. I can't believe new details are coming out after all this time.

I am following the Kelly Anne Tinyes case and would like to include her tips line number, the Nassau County DA has set up a number so that someone woth any info, even the smallest in detail can call it in. Kelly's tip line is 516-870-2813.

Kelly was only 13 years old and was treated like she was disposable, the way she was treated sickens me to this day and its been 20 years, many feel that her killer had help which is the reason they reopened the case. Please look at some of the online articles and the things the killers family have done to the victims family in the 20 years since and you will be sickend as well, she was a kid, only 13. she deserves more and hopefully will get it. Thanks!

There was a fascinating article by the Associated Press in my local paper today. The article was titled: "Families still neighbors 20 years after teen's slaying", written by Frank Eltman.

Robert Golub is now 41 years old, and is still in prison. Kelly would now be 34 years old.

The article focuses on the fact that after 20 years, both his family and her's live just a few houses away from each other, both refusing to move. Many of the neighbors that lived there at the time of the murder also still live there today, and some were interviewed for the article.

The article relays the information that through the 20 years after the murder, the police have been called many times, by his family AND her family, antagonizing the other.

From the article: "There was the time (her mother) was charged with driving her Cadillac at (his mother). And then (his father) was arrested, accused of driving his car into (her father's) pick-up truck".
And, so on.

This is a case I will be interested in following, especially as it seems the police have new questions regarding the possible involvement of his younger brother.

~Also quoted from the article: "Without providing details, District Attorney Kathleen Rice said "there's legitimate information that we have uncovered that really has added to the mystery." (I would love to know what that new info is).

BUMP...

Anyone have any more information?

I really don't want this thread to disappear until we learn more about the "legitimate information" the authorities have "uncovered that has really added to this mystery".

The article I referenced in my post above also states that the convicted murderer, Robert Golub, says he is willing to talk with his victim's father, and "express his sorrow over Kelly Ann Tinyes' death".

Golub says, "She's tragedy No. 1... I'm tragedy No. 2".

Kelly and I were the same age when she was murdered, and she went to school with my cousin Frank. I felt very connected to the case because it's in my area and because of her age. I can't believe it's being re-opened!

MrsG728-- I grew up in Valley Stream, NY, and at the time of her murder I was working in Manhattan and living in East Rockaway NY-- only a couple of miles where she lived (which I believe was off of Penisula Parkway in Valley Stream-- I drove by there a coupleof times to see where the murder occured). The events of the murder of Kelly-- and what occured afterwards in regards to the families involved-- were shocking . I haven't thought about it in years, but I can see similarities between her parents and Casey and George Anthony in the way they dealt with the possibility of their child's involvement even though Kelly's body was found in their house. Their denial -- like the Anthony's -- was pretty incredible. At the time I remember thinking that they "had no shame" and certainly no compassion for the murdered girl's family.

If my memory is correct, I believe there was a question as to the involvement of the younger brother who was in the house at the time with his friends. I will be interested to know if they found additional evidence due to the new DNA technology that exists today.

I have seen where many people have looked at this forum, and Webslueths site, please if you know anything or have any information please call the Nassau County Police. This girl was only a child, 13, and was taken from her family for no reason, and many feel her killer had some help. Please take action if you can!

Nothing new to add but I am reading and almost finished with the book "Against her will" about Kelly's murder.

I don't see the theory that the younger son John was the one that made the phone call to be out of the question. JMHO.

Can't find any updates on this reopened case.

I have revisited this case due to an online petition that's circulating -- the petition asks that Robert Golub be denied parole.

As part of my renewed interest in the case, I have revisited the online forum -- The Kelly Ann Tinyes Case

I also have read a NY Times article from May 31, 1998, -- What happened on Horton Road -- that quotes from a woman who, when she was age 6 or 5, witnessed something through the Golub's basement window.
"Jaclyn DeLuca, 15, is haunted by her belief, widely known on Horton Road, that as a 6-year-old she watched Kelly being assaulted in the Golub basement through a jalousied window. She believes she saw more than one person doing it, perhaps even more than two."

In the online forum (linked above) there are allegations that (link here) Robert Golub had sexually assaulted his brother John Jay years before the murder.

In this same forum, second post, the administrator shared a transcription of an interview where John Jay Golub gives his "hypothetical" thoughts on what happened that day -- a very interesting interview, indeed.

<modsnip>

WS does not allow petition sites without Management approval. However, I have opened a thread for RG in our CAPERS forum, right here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9837169#post9837169"]Robert Golub - convicted of murdering Kelly Tinyes in 1989 Up for Parole - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

With links to the various sites that discuss this case. If you wish to write to the parole board, they make it very easy and the link is included in the first post on the CAPERS thread.

Salem

WS does not allow petition sites without Management approval. However, I have opened a thread for RG in our CAPERS forum, right here: Robert Golub - convicted of murdering Kelly Tinyes in 1989 Up for Parole - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

With links to the various sites that discuss this case. If you wish to write to the parole board, they make it very easy and the link is included in the first post on the CAPERS thread.

Salem

Please accept my apologies for breaking the rules about petitions. Thank you for modifying my post to delete the link. Ignorance is no excuse-- I promise it will never happen again! :please:

Please accept my apologies for breaking the rules about petitions. Thank you for modifying my post to delete the link. Ignorance is no excuse-- I promise it will never happen again! :please:

It's okay, Penelope. Happens to the best of us.

I just learned about this case last night from a podcast. I was flabbergasted at the brutality and the absolute denial of the parents that their son could be the murderer. Can someone who is more familiar with the case confirm for me that there was a bite mark on the victim that matched Robert Golub?

Apparently Robert Golub admitted responsibility (omitting the details and facts of course that he doesn't want to acknowledge) at his recent parole hearing?

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...lly-ann-tinyes-death-documents-show-1.6578336

Robert Golub accepts responsibility for Kelly Ann Tinyes' death, documents show
Originally published: December 10, 2013 12:43 PM
Updated: December 10, 2013 10:37 PM
By BRIDGET MURPHY bridget.murphy@newsday.com

Convicted murderer Robert Golub has admitted killing his former 13-year-old Valley Stream neighbor, Kelly Ann Tinyes, for the first time since her 1989 slaying in an account that has only angered her family.

Transcripts from Golub's November parole board hearing showed Tuesday that Golub -- after years of denying he killed Kelly -- accepted responsibility for her death during his failed bid for release.

Golub, 46, who is serving a sentence of 25 years to life, apologized and claimed he never intended to cause Kelly's death. He described the rage he went into while killing Tinyes, saying he was using a "ridiculous" amount of anabolic steroids at the time.

Authorities found Kelly's body in a sleeping bag in a closet in the Golub home a day after she was last seen leaving her Horton Road home and going into his family's nearby residence. Prosecutors said the teen had been strangled and sexually mutilated.

<modsnip>

The book Against Her Will was free on Amazon yesterday. It's now 4.99. Its a good book. If you have a Kindle - watch for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back