Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shwa View Post
    http://tinyurl.com/5yp35z

Here is a newspaper report on one of the suspects of the Alphabet Murders.
    Thanks, he was absolved of the three alphabet murders but convicted on one little girl the police believe had no connection to the other three.

Last year, through DNA, police linked a Florida man, James Pressler, to the 1976 unsolved rape and strangulation of 7-year-old Michelle McMurray in Rochester the oldest Rochester cold case apparently solved by DNA. Pressler, 76, was charged with second-degree murder but died in a Florida jail of an apparent heart attack before he could be extradited and tried. Police did not suspect Michelle was a victim of the double initial killer because of differences in her age and other distinct differences with those three crimes.

Link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

An article about Kenneth Bianchi as a suspect in these murders.
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...WS01/903020343

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bargle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bargle View Post
    Thanks, I also have the article linked in the beginning of the thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

I sent this message to the Monroe County Sheriff's department tonight. I'll let you know if I get any response from them.

On the alphabet murders somebody brought up that since all the girls were Catholic that there may be a link between them that one person had access to. Like a camp or a church or a charity. A Priest or Social Worker would be trusted and also have access to the names of these girls. It seems to me that the person who did this had to have easy access to these kids names.

I know this isn't really a crime tip as much as a theory but this is the only heading that made sense to put it under. I'm pretty sure this theory has been checked out but if it hasn't I just wanted to pass it along. It came from someone at the Websleuths message board. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...82#post3422282

I know LE may not take these sites seriously but there are some smart and creative people there with interesting theories on crimes. If somebody wanted to add some facts to the thread that might get the wheels turning in some people's heads it might be worth it to check out.

Just trying to help out,

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

With there being 3 victims I had to wonder if each one of the initials represents one of theirs, or possibly the person he was fixated on and wanted to kill over and over. CWM I wonder if there has ever been a suspect with those initials?

VB
    Boyfriends and girlfriends are not Babysitters.
    Just because you want to be with somebody does not mean they will take care of your children.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vegas Bride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
    With there being 3 victims I had to wonder if each one of the initials represents one of theirs, or possibly the person he was fixated on and wanted to kill over and over. CWM I wonder if there has ever been a suspect with those initials?

VB
    Interesting thought.

Another question is why did they stop?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

Bianchi, a 1970 graduate of Gates Chili High School, is serving a life sentence for the slayings of two Washington women. In the late 1970s he and his cousin, Angelo Buono Jr., went on a killing spree in southern California, assaulting, torturing and killing young women.

I wonder if they ever looked at Buono Jr. It's possible he was visiting around that time but it would be very difficult for him to know these girls well enough.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Thanks, I also have the article linked in the beginning of the thread.
    Drat, sorry. I hadn't read all of your links and didn't realize it was a duplicate. My goof.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bargle For This Useful Post:

Drat, sorry. I hadn't read all of your links and didn't realize it was a duplicate. My goof.
    Not a large deal. I'm sure others missed it too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

I sent this message to the Monroe County Sheriff's department tonight. I'll let you know if I get any response from them.

On the alphabet murders somebody brought up that since all the girls were Catholic that there may be a link between them that one person had access to. Like a camp or a church or a charity. A Priest or Social Worker would be trusted and also have access to the names of these girls. It seems to me that the person who did this had to have easy access to these kids names.

I know this isn't really a crime tip as much as a theory but this is the only heading that made sense to put it under. I'm pretty sure this theory has been checked out but if it hasn't I just wanted to pass it along. It came from someone at the Websleuths message board. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...82#post3422282

I know LE may not take these sites seriously but there are some smart and creative people there with interesting theories on crimes. If somebody wanted to add some facts to the thread that might get the wheels turning in some people's heads it might be worth it to check out.

Just trying to help out,
    Steely Dan,

Thank you for sending out this email. I am so glad that "bev04" chimed in here!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz_Mum View Post
    Steely Dan,

Thank you for sending out this email. I am so glad that "bev04" chimed in here!
    I agree. I'd be very surprised to find out that this isn't an angle that has already been explored but you never know. Maybe somebody from the Sheriff's department will actually come here and provide more info.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

I agree. I'd be very surprised to find out that this isn't an angle that has already been explored but you never know. Maybe somebody from the Sheriff's department will actually come here and provide more info.
    You know, back in the 70's, the Catholic community may have been much closer, meaning that there is a chance that someone may have been a little reluctant to report "odd" behavior amongst their peers, and could come forward with more information today?

I am also curious about the "learning disabilities" that poster fran spoke of. Is this confirmed? Was there a central location that the girls could have attended for any type of schooling, therapy, etc...?

I am not familiar with the area/counties.
    Last edited by Boyz_Mum; 03-08-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: addition

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

Where our Governors actually make our license plates
    Perhaps a boarding school for troubled girls?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pedrosmom For This Useful Post:

Exclamation NY - The "Alphabet" Murders, Rochester, 1971-73

From 1971-1973, three young girls aged 10 and 11 were abducted, raped and strangled in Rochester, New York. The case got it's name because all three girls had the same first and last initial, and they were found in towns starting with that initial.

Carmen Colon age 10 was sent on an errand to pick up a prescription not two blocks from her house on 11/16/1971 at 4:15 PM. She never returned home. At about 5:15 PM that same day motorists reported seeing a nearly nude young girl, looking "terrified" running from a car that was backing up towards her on the West Expressway in Riga, New York. No one stopped to help her. Several witnesses reported seeing this but still didn't stop to help. Her body was found less than a mile away on 11/18/1971. She had only a sweater on, her skull had been fractured she had been raped , beaten and strangled. Police had the FBI make a profile of her killer, and they felt that she knew him. They believed that her Uncle, Miguel Colon was responsible. He committed suicide in 1991 and was later exonerated through DNA evidence. Carmen was found in Churchville, New York.

Wanda Walkowicz, 11, also went on an errand and never returned on 04/02/1973. A Sate Trooper on patrol discovered her little body at a rest stop at State Route 104 in Webster, New York. On 04/03/1973. She too had been raped , beaten and strangled to death.

Michelle Maenza was the third, and last child to be murdered. She went missing on 11/26/1973. Her body was found on 11/28/1973 in Macedon, New York. She, too was only 11 years old, beaten, raped and strangled.

All three of these girls were Roman Catholic, came from poor areas of Rochester and all three did poorly in school, both academicaly and socialy. The notorious "Hillside Strangler", Kenneth Bianci was suspected at first because he lived in Rochester during that time, and he had a car simular to the one that was seen backing up towards Carmen Colon. He was exonerated as well through DNA evidence.

The letters "C", "M" and "W" are the 3rd, 13th and 23rd letters of the alphabet. Police also thought that the suspect might be a teacher, or counselor that had access to personal files. All three children had white cat hair on them, and might have been lured to a car using that cat as bait. Hundreds of people were questioned, to no avail. These cases are still unsolved, although an inmate in 1995 told investigators that he knew who was responsible for these heinous acts, but no other information was available to me online regarding this.

In January, 2007 a movie was being filmed in Rochester regarding this case. It was released in October, 2007, but Agatha Christie had written a book eerily simular to these cases years before they happened. So, I'm not sure what that movie actually was based on. I'm wondering too if Investigators looked at local Libraries to see who checked out that Agatha Christie book. Or if they perused local book stores. Regardless, if you have any information contact the Rochester, New York Police Department at 1-585-428-7157 that is The Major Crimes Division.

Tags: unsolved child murders, 1971-1973, rochester new york

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donna b For This Useful Post:

Photo and info for Wanda Lee Walkowicz

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Want...0-c667b49e7286

there's also a thread here for this case.
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75191"]Alphabet Murders, 1970s - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
    Welcome to the world Bridget!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast