Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY - Rochester, The Alphabet Killings

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz_Mum View Post
    Steely Dan,

Thank you for sending out this email. I am so glad that "bev04" chimed in here!
    I agree. I'd be very surprised to find out that this isn't an angle that has already been explored but you never know. Maybe somebody from the Sheriff's department will actually come here and provide more info.
    Buttons updated 07/22/2014-2014

Thinking of Sue

Thanks Steadfast for the spinning Buffalo Bills Emu

Made by HD ----->

Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I agree. I'd be very surprised to find out that this isn't an angle that has already been explored but you never know. Maybe somebody from the Sheriff's department will actually come here and provide more info.
    You know, back in the 70's, the Catholic community may have been much closer, meaning that there is a chance that someone may have been a little reluctant to report "odd" behavior amongst their peers, and could come forward with more information today?

I am also curious about the "learning disabilities" that poster fran spoke of. Is this confirmed? Was there a central location that the girls could have attended for any type of schooling, therapy, etc...?

I am not familiar with the area/counties.
    Last edited by Boyz_Mum; 03-08-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: addition

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyz_Mum For This Useful Post:

Where our Governors actually make our license plates
    Perhaps a boarding school for troubled girls?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pedrosmom For This Useful Post:

Exclamation NY - The "Alphabet" Murders, Rochester, 1971-73

From 1971-1973, three young girls aged 10 and 11 were abducted, raped and strangled in Rochester, New York. The case got it's name because all three girls had the same first and last initial, and they were found in towns starting with that initial.

Carmen Colon age 10 was sent on an errand to pick up a prescription not two blocks from her house on 11/16/1971 at 4:15 PM. She never returned home. At about 5:15 PM that same day motorists reported seeing a nearly nude young girl, looking "terrified" running from a car that was backing up towards her on the West Expressway in Riga, New York. No one stopped to help her. Several witnesses reported seeing this but still didn't stop to help. Her body was found less than a mile away on 11/18/1971. She had only a sweater on, her skull had been fractured she had been raped , beaten and strangled. Police had the FBI make a profile of her killer, and they felt that she knew him. They believed that her Uncle, Miguel Colon was responsible. He committed suicide in 1991 and was later exonerated through DNA evidence. Carmen was found in Churchville, New York.

Wanda Walkowicz, 11, also went on an errand and never returned on 04/02/1973. A Sate Trooper on patrol discovered her little body at a rest stop at State Route 104 in Webster, New York. On 04/03/1973. She too had been raped , beaten and strangled to death.

Michelle Maenza was the third, and last child to be murdered. She went missing on 11/26/1973. Her body was found on 11/28/1973 in Macedon, New York. She, too was only 11 years old, beaten, raped and strangled.

All three of these girls were Roman Catholic, came from poor areas of Rochester and all three did poorly in school, both academicaly and socialy. The notorious "Hillside Strangler", Kenneth Bianci was suspected at first because he lived in Rochester during that time, and he had a car simular to the one that was seen backing up towards Carmen Colon. He was exonerated as well through DNA evidence.

The letters "C", "M" and "W" are the 3rd, 13th and 23rd letters of the alphabet. Police also thought that the suspect might be a teacher, or counselor that had access to personal files. All three children had white cat hair on them, and might have been lured to a car using that cat as bait. Hundreds of people were questioned, to no avail. These cases are still unsolved, although an inmate in 1995 told investigators that he knew who was responsible for these heinous acts, but no other information was available to me online regarding this.

In January, 2007 a movie was being filmed in Rochester regarding this case. It was released in October, 2007, but Agatha Christie had written a book eerily simular to these cases years before they happened. So, I'm not sure what that movie actually was based on. I'm wondering too if Investigators looked at local Libraries to see who checked out that Agatha Christie book. Or if they perused local book stores. Regardless, if you have any information contact the Rochester, New York Police Department at 1-585-428-7157 that is The Major Crimes Division.

Tags: unsolved child murders, 1971-1973, rochester new york

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donna b For This Useful Post:

Photo and info for Wanda Lee Walkowicz

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Want...0-c667b49e7286

there's also a thread here for this case.
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75191"]Alphabet Murders, 1970s - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
    Welcome to the world Bridget!

Hi grace 1984,

It is an interesting case. I had the same question that julessleuther asked on the other Alphabet Murders thread: Why did the killer stop? Were they imprisoned? Were they questioned by the police and stopped?

Such a precise m.o. would seem to be a pattern that is very important to the killer, so I don't know if they would be able to stop or the switch their m.o. I wonder if they moved to a different part of the country and the pattern went unnoticed. Perhaps the killer became more mobile and went from city to city for each individual crime.

If any of the above are possibilities you would think that the coincidences would stand out, especially since I Assume the Alphabet Murders were publicized.

It was also mentioned that the killer would have had to have access to personal information on the girls. It could have been someone they knew and had contact with, or maybe someone just who knew them from afar. I wonder if the families lived in suburbia or an apartment? A killer could move around to various apartments to find a victim that matched the criteria, befriended them if only in passing and then used that to lure his victims.

I dunno, it is an interesting case, so sad that they have never found the killer so that justice could be served and the families could have closure. Its a very sad case, especially since the father of one of the little girls committed suicide and was then exonerated with DNA.

Anyway, what do you think happened?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy.faithfull For This Useful Post:

At about 5:15 PM that same day motorists reported seeing a nearly nude young girl, looking "terrified" running from a car that was backing up towards her on the West Expressway in Riga, New York. No one stopped to help her. Several witnesses reported seeing this but still didn't stop to help.
    Un-freaking belivable!!!!!!!!

I wonder if it was just coincidence about the girls names. I've read a little on this case, mostly from Wikipedia. They were about the same age, did they have similar looks?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thefragile7393 For This Useful Post:

the female dective in the movie, what ever became of her?
    in the movie she had a nervous breakdown i believe, and stated that she was seeing the spirit/ghosts of the young victims.

Can anyone supply any links with information on this detective, i would like to read more about her part in the investigation, and the reported sightings of the young girls ghosts visiting her from time to time.........thank you.
    +
    Anneliese Michel

[second chapter twelfth verse of Philippians]
    ["Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling"]

Emily Rose

15. The Following User Says Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:

Me too. How terrifying.
    Brand new forum dedicated to the Keddie Cabin Murders - everyone welcome at
    www.keddieresortmurders.proboards.com

I sent this message to the Monroe County Sheriff's department tonight. I'll let you know if I get any response from them.

On the alphabet murders somebody brought up that since all the girls were Catholic that there may be a link between them that one person had access to. Like a camp or a church or a charity. A Priest or Social Worker would be trusted and also have access to the names of these girls. It seems to me that the person who did this had to have easy access to these kids names.

I know this isn't really a crime tip as much as a theory but this is the only heading that made sense to put it under. I'm pretty sure this theory has been checked out but if it hasn't I just wanted to pass it along. It came from someone at the Websleuths message board. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...82#post3422282

I know LE may not take these sites seriously but there are some smart and creative people there with interesting theories on crimes. If somebody wanted to add some facts to the thread that might get the wheels turning in some people's heads it might be worth it to check out.

Just trying to help out,
    Did u ever hear back from the Monroe Sheriffs department?
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sleuthster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post
    the female dective in the movie, what ever became of her?
    in the movie she had a nervous breakdown i believe, and stated that she was seeing the spirit/ghosts of the young victims.

Can anyone supply any links with information on this detective, i would like to read more about her part in the investigation, and the reported sightings of the young girls ghosts visiting her from time to time.........thank you.
    She was not a real person. It was fictionalized account of the case. I hope that clears it up for you.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rpipergirl For This Useful Post:

Question Hello Everyone!

My first post here! After watching the movie, and being in home sales in the Delaware beach area, would like to know if anyone has a link to the composite sketch?
    Seems to me, that if that sketch was posted in the local news in the early 70s, that the person(s) responsible probably fled the area.
    Does anyone have a link, or some other means of helping with this info?
    Thanks!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delawaresleuth For This Useful Post:

Possible connection to four California murders

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TechWriter797 For This Useful Post:

Very intriguing!!! I read through everything and did not find whether the DNA in the three cases in the 70s matched each other.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmony2 For This Useful Post:

Here's another article about Joesph Naso: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42558019...me_and_courts/

That'd be one heck of coincidence if these killings aren't related.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hmg For This Useful Post:

Just watched the movie on Netflix...Whoever posted upthread that this was about the detective's breakdown was right...Was the "math instructor/tutor/mentor" ever looked into? TIA
    Proud WS N-LIB

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMLsmom For This Useful Post:

The Alphabet Killings or Double Initial killings as some call them occurred in the Rochester area in the early 70's. They are called the Alphabet Killings because all three victims had double initials. 10 year old Carmen Colon's body was found in Chili (Rochesterarians pronounce it Chy-lie), 11 year old Wanda Walkowicz's body was found in Webster and 11 year old Michelle Maenza was found in Macedon. All three had been sexually assaulted and strangled to death. This is Rochester's most infamous unsolved murders and one of the countries most fascinating unsolved murders.

It was believed at one time that Kenneth Bianchi may have been the killer because he lived in the Rochester area at the time but Bianchi denies it.

Here's a couple of articles. I thought it was a three part series of articles but only two are on the D&C website. Here's the first article about them.

Part #2

Fascinating case that is still unsolved.

Anyhoo, I felt this was a great article for the Websleuthers to read.

It's most likely somebody in authority who could lure the girls into his car and IMO, had access to names so he could get the girls with double initials. It was no accident IMO that he knew going in that the girls had double initial names.
    Hi Dan,
    So glad to see you brought this up in a thread. I watched The Alphabet killer last night on Lifetime and it brought back all the old memories. Too bad it wasn't real true to fact, but it seemed funny hearing the promos and I knew it was this story when they mentioned Churchville.
    I think of this from time to time as I lived on the same street yrs. before Carmen Colon was killed.
    Bev mentioned that it had to be someone who knew them and IIRC I believe detectives went down those avenues. IMO there could be a connection in as much as the mothers were all on Public assistance and to me that was always a strong lead. Who better to know their names and addresses than a social worker from the County? It's another strong tie IMO. I've spent years racking my brain to think about how this could have happened and how it has gone unsolved. Technology today would be the key here and as was mentioned, there were no cell phones then, so people who saw Carmen running on I 490 could have called LE.
    Two last points I want to make, there is that guy Joe Naso who lived here and was arrested in Calif. for double initial murders, but they say his DNA doesn't match. Also Kenneth Bianchi who denies any involvement? Are we supposed to believe him or did they ever go into it any further with him?
    Thanks for the links to the D&C articles.
    Be sure to watch for my book I'd die for you.
    Some accounts from real DMV victims
    Hopefully will be published
    First ten to IM me will get a free copy sent to them.
    Des Sands

32. The Following User Says Thank You to DesSands For This Useful Post:

This is the first I had heard of this so thank you. Will have to do more research on this

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Allusonz For This Useful Post:

On Wednesday the 22nd, Investigation Discovery channel is having a show on these cases at 10pm.

Thinking of Sue

Made by HD ----->

Sorry for the lateness of these replies but I may have been in the hospital or something when they were written. They never showed up on my CP page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    Did u ever hear back from the Monroe Sheriffs department?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by hmg View Post
    Here's another article about Joesph Naso: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42558019...me_and_courts/

That'd be one heck of coincidence if these killings aren't related.
    His DNA doesn't match and they don't go into enough detail on his comings and goings around Rochester then. Hopefully the show tomorrow will shed more light on a lot of stuff.

Thinking of Sue

Made by HD ----->

Thinking of Sue

Made by HD ----->

Kimster is offline WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison
    There is a thread on this in the Serial Killer forum and has been discussed at length. My apologies for not catching it here.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
    www.twitter.com/kimsterws

In memory of Ron Pruitt

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

After watching the show I'm convinced that Carmen Colon was killed by her uncle. The second girl who had DNA on her doesn't match any suspect so far. The third victim may or may not be related to the second killing. When you remove Carmen Colon from the mix. (Her uncle failed a lie detector test, had a car similar to the one last seen chasing CC, that the car had been cleaned, a doll belonging to Carmen was found in the car,his DNA didn't match that found on the second victim and that he ran away to Puerto Rico and when he returned he failed the polygraph and then offed himself.) You're left with two. So now it's just two double initial murders. Now we're getting closer to coincidence.

Those who've been eliminated from doing all three murders.

The Fireman
    Carmen Colon's Uncle
    The new guy in California
    Gary Ridgeway

I have to say that I'm very weirded out by how many serial killers have passed through this city.

Thinking of Sue

Made by HD ----->

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

Maybe he was scared off

by the sketches that were released in the News Papers Dec 1973?

He could have gone into hiding or even moved.

Has the Alphabet killer been found ?

This guy is a one man crime wave

http://naturalplane.blogspot.co.uk/2...ller-been.html

Mods I think you need to merge this
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75191"]CA Joseph Naso, once a suspect in NY Alphabet Murders, now on trial in California - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast