1211 users online (275 members and 936 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Casey Anthony Answers Questions In Civil Suit Or Did JB? Legal Implications

So instead of pleading the 5th amendment, Casey (or her attorney) chose to answer the question. What, if anything, will this mean for the pending criminal case?

Casey Anthony Answers Questions In Civil Suit
    Posted: 12:35 pm EST March 4, 2009
    Updated: 12:44 pm EST March 4, 2009
    <snipped>
    ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned Casey Anthony did answer questions under oath and in writing in a civil lawsuit she's facing.
    Zenaida Gonzalez's attorney, John Morgan, submitted 17 different topics, some with multiple related questions, for Casey to answer as part of her deposition in the case.
    Of the 29 total questions, Casey answered to only two. Casey wrote her name to answer the question asking for it, but had a much stronger response to another question.
    "Were you involved in the death of Caylee?" question 17 asks.
    "The defendant would object to the question and would move to strike it. This question is being brought solely to embarrass, harass and brought in an attempt to implicate the Defendant in an on-going criminal prosecution for First (1st) Degree Murder," Casey responded.
    The document was signed by Casey and dated February 25.

A court hearing is scheduled for May 19 when Casey's attorney will attempt to get the lawsuit thrown out.
    Last edited by Patty G; 03-05-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Changed title

Quote Originally Posted by lacey clementine View Post
    So instead of pleading the 5th amendment, Casey (or Jose) chose to answer the question. What, if anything, will this mean for the pending criminal case?

Casey Anthony Answers Questions In Civil Suit
    Posted: 12:35 pm EST March 4, 2009
    Updated: 12:44 pm EST March 4, 2009
    <snipped>
    ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned Casey Anthony did answer questions under oath and in writing in a civil lawsuit she's facing.
    Zenaida Gonzalez's attorney, John Morgan, submitted 17 different topics, some with multiple related questions, for Casey to answer as part of her deposition in the case.
    Of the 29 total questions, Casey answered to only two. Casey wrote her name to answer the question asking for it, but had a much stronger response to another question.
    "Were you involved in the death of Caylee?" question 17 asks.
    "The defendant would object to the question and would move to strike it. This question is being brought solely to embarrass, harass and brought in an attempt to implicate the Defendant in an on-going criminal prosecution for First (1st) Degree Murder," Casey responded.
    The document was signed by Casey and dated February 25.

A court hearing is scheduled for May 19 when Casey's attorney will attempt to get the lawsuit thrown out.

Sounds like JB- as he used the defendant instead of I.......
    But he does speak KC-nese

I thought she had a civil attny handling that case??

I highly doubt that's a reply straight from the mind of KC.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I thought she had a civil attny handling that case??
    I believe you are correct. Heading is probably wrong - my first thread - sorry! I was wondering what implications this response would have (as opposed to pleading the fifth) on the criminal case. Any ideas anyone?

Having worked for attorneys most of my life - her attorney would have standard objections to those interrogatory questions. KC would have just signed the prepared document.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
    Having worked for attorneys most of my life - her attorney would have standard objections to those interrogatory questions. KC would have just signed the prepared document.
    Sounds right to me.

Is there link to this info?

Quote Originally Posted by ddigger View Post
    Is there link to this info?
    It is in today's news thread.

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
    Why not just plead the fifth? This is an answer so I am thinking it might mean something. I have no legal background, am simply trying to understand the difference between answering and pleading the fifth. Perhaps there is no difference.

ETA: Thanks, EmMomma!

JB didn't object to the question "Do you know who killed Caylee", just the one asking if she did it. To me, JB's actions all show he knows KC killed Caylee, he just won't say how or why. That's a big surprise for the trial.

EmMomma is offline Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Quote Originally Posted by lacey clementine View Post
    Why not just plead the fifth? This is an answer so I am thinking it might mean something. I have no legal background, am simply trying to understand the difference between answering and pleading the fifth. Perhaps there is no difference.

ETA: Thanks, EmMomma!
    You're welcome.

If you read the PDF (first link) she did invoke her 5th amendment rights for every question except "state your name".
    "Lost is not alone..." T. Miller, Founder TES (and MY HERO!!!)

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will." -

Edward Everett Hale

Quote Originally Posted by EmMomma View Post
    You're welcome.

If you read the PDF (first link) she did invoke her 5th amendment rights for every question except "state your name".
    And this one: Were you involved in the death of Caylee?

Exactly. I'm surprised the terms "overly broad, burdensome and ambiguous" didn't come in there.
    (all posts are my opinion only--do not try to understand my logic)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast