Astrology - Planetary Guide Home & Garden Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

housemouse

Reaction score
SURVIVALIST Tips associated with Home and Gardening
Practical ways to be a handy dandy survivalist in these trying times.

A word from our HOUSEMOUSE:
What I hope to do on this thread is put up the better times to take care of our homes and gardens.

We all know that the Moon travels through all the signs in about one month, and the Bible tells us that there is a time for everything under heaven. So, we can get in touch with the lunar rhythm, and take advantage of the best times to do things.

I took comfort from something Housemouse said about being prepared. It never hurts to have extra food and water on hand for whatever reason. Power outages happen anywhere and everywhere. Mail and paychecks could be delayed. It's comforting, to me, to know future POSSIBILITIES through our Astrologer's and to be ready as best I can. I pray for the best, but try to be prepared for less than perfect conditions.
Don't think of them as gun nuts - see them as descendants of the same people who helped draft our constitution and make it a reality.

Angelzgram, you are so right on being prepared giving one a sense of security and calm. Remember the parable about the 7 wise virgins, who were ready with their lamps filled with oil and the 7 foolish ones, who were not ready?

I am not afraid, but I am concerned for the well-being of those who will be caught unprepared. For that reason, it probably isn't wise to tell anyone except your trusted family members that you have been making preparations.

But, always be ready to share, if the need is there. For that reason, put aside some extra, for you never know when there will be hungry children in your neighborhood. And, it could be a power outage, a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, or some unforeseen disruption in the normal supply chain to your part of the country.

My husband's grandparents were "poor" during the great Depression, and had only a small railroad pension to rely on. But, Granpa had a veggie garden in the back yard, and they had only a wood cookstove for heat. One bathroom in a three bedroom house.

At one point, they had 14 family members living there, their children and grandchildren. They managed. My husband's mother, a wonderful person, had only one dress to wear to high school, but she was one of the most popular girls in her class.

We all can do it. Churches might well become the center of bartering services, sharing food, and organizing neighbors to help neighbors. Find one close to you, and get a food pantry started, if they do not have one yet.

I have read about these poor souls, too, CourtsInSession, and feel so sad. There is no shame in being what my paternal grandmother referred to as "reduced circumstances".

Think about it, that is all it is. It says nothing about one's worth in the eyes of God. People get so wrapped up in material possessions that they get lost.

I hope not one person reading here will lose faith, lose hope. If this is happening, perhaps it is time to go to your local pastor, priest, or family counselor, and get some help.

One of the favorite books of the bible that helped me carry on when my oldest child died, and one that might give some comfort is the Book of Job. He suffered mightily, and although he eventually questioned God, he received an answer

And, if that doesn't do it, think of our ancestors, many of whom risked all to get to this country. They were not afraid of hardship, and had faith in God and themselves to rebuild a better life.

We need not be afraid. We need to be creative, wise, prepared, and confident. Instead of worrying, start planning.

This is my favorite WS post of all time. Thank you, Housemouse.

I have read about these poor souls, too, CourtsInSession, and feel so sad. There is no shame in being what my paternal grandmother referred to as "reduced circumstances".

Think about it, that is all it is. It says nothing about one's worth in the eyes of God. People get so wrapped up in material possessions that they get lost.

I hope not one person reading here will lose faith, lose hope. If this is happening, perhaps it is time to go to your local pastor, priest, or family counselor, and get some help.

One of the favorite books of the bible that helped me carry on when my oldest child died, and one that might give some comfort is the Book of Job. He suffered mightily, and although he eventually questioned God, he received an answer

And, if that doesn't do it, think of our ancestors, many of whom risked all to get to this country. They were not afraid of hardship, and had faith in God and themselves to rebuild a better life.

We need not be afraid. We need to be creative, wise, prepared, and confident. Instead of worrying, start planning.

Thanks, housemouse & others, for the wonderful reminder that when God is all we've got, we find out He's all we need! Yes, start planning! Start planting our gardens! Fill our lamps! Pray!

housemouse, I appreciate your input & guidance on this thread. Thank you!!!

V/R, OB

I get so excited at this time of year, trying to figure out what to plant, and where. We have quite a bit of land that we could use for gardening, but with our handicaps, we can't do the physical work of a very large garden.

Instead, I have a few raised beds, some pots, and some borders around our little house. We can grow more than we eat in not that much space.

To relate this to astrology, I do use it to start my seeds for the veggie garden. Tomatoes are always started a couple of days before the new Moon that falls about 6 weeks before our last frost date. This is because they will sprout the fastest at this time.

Seeds that take 14 days or so to sprout get started at the full Moon, so they will sprout right on time at the new Moon. I use the moons for the eventual transplant out to their permanent spot also.

Thank you Housemouse, Fifth E. and all you dear, caring people here who are trying to ease my fears. What a wonderful group of people! I just do not do well with change in my life. I am terrified by the future because I have no idea how much of anything I need to stockpile or for how long. I am going to send for the survival book to try and find out what I need to do. Regardless, the unknown just puts me in total chaos. I don't even know what to buy beside canned goods. Do you buy freeze dried or dehydrated? Do you buy wheat or flour? This is all too much for me to try and figure out and prepare for. I am trying, but it is so difficult and overwhelming for me. My being terrified is not really so much about money, it's the future, preparing and helping my family survive what's ahead.

Thank you Housemouse, Fifth E. and all you dear, caring people here who are trying to ease my fears. What a wonderful group of people! I just do not do well with change in my life. I am terrified by the future because I have no idea how much of anything I need to stockpile or for how long. I am going to send for the survival book to try and find out what I need to do. Regardless, the unknown just puts me in total chaos. I don't even know what to buy beside canned goods. Do you buy freeze dried or dehydrated? Do you buy wheat or flour? This is all too much for me to try and figure out and prepare for. I am trying, but it is so difficult and overwhelming for me. My being terrified is not really so much about money, it's the future, preparing and helping my family survive what's ahead.

I totally understand. Its the fear of the unknown. Its not so much a fear of something happening its a fear of not knowing what will happen and knowing if you have prepared accordingly and prepared enough to keep your family safe. Personally I do not care what will happen because I feel that we can work through anything. My worry comes from not knowing and not being able to prepare for things you dont know. I mean yes you can buy food and stock up but how much do you need. Do we need to be tring to find ways to purify water? Learn about edible plants? Plants and things that can be used for medications? Do I need to learn to make clothes???? its those type things that worry me.

CourtsInSession, try this approach, for it might help.

The best way to get over a fear of change is to take control of the change, plan it out, then gradually work your plan. This way, you are in charge.

First, take a hard-eagled look at your monthly spending. Make a list of those things that you do not really need to spend money on, and take that money and set it aside. Pay off all the credit cards, etc. and accumulate some savings.

Look at how much money you spend on food, eating out, etc. Stop eating out, and save that money for storing food.

Make a list of foods you like to eat that store well. Try to think of a reasonably balanced diet, so pick the grains you like to eat, then pick the proteins you like, then choose the most nutritious veggies you like.

Take the "eating out" money you save, and start buying foods that store well, figuring out meals to make with them. Get creative with this, and make it fun.

You can buy freeze-dried or dehydrated foods, but you are wiser to not buy the "one-year" deals, for these may include foods that you and your loved ones won't like or enjoy. It is better to make a list of food that you really like, and figure out how much to buy, using the lists as a guide.

Look for a good friendly forum for preparing, then read, post asking questions, and think for yourself. If you take control, you will feel much more secure.

Also, get your family involved, if they will listen. Many family members won't, as they do not want to think about such things. If they aren't supportive, be understanding, for it is probably just too frightening to them to consider any other way of life. Just drop it, and keep on doing your own thing, gradually increasing your supply of toilet paper, etc... make a joke of it, and they might come around faster.

I totally understand. Its the fear of the unknown. Its not so much a fear of something happening its a fear of not knowing what will happen and knowing if you have prepared accordingly and prepared enough to keep your family safe. Personally I do not care what will happen because I feel that we can work through anything. My worry comes from not knowing and not being able to prepare for things you dont know. I mean yes you can buy food and stock up but how much do you need. Do we need to be tring to find ways to purify water? Learn about edible plants? Plants and things that can be used for medications? Do I need to learn to make clothes???? its those type things that worry me.

Yes, a person could bankrupt themselves trying to buy things in order to be prepared. Why not use this as an opportunity to make this a fun and educational thing for your children and yourself. A trip to the library to choose some books about easy to grow herbs, fruits and vegetables can be a great way to interact with your kids. And the more you do with your children, the more open they are to your viewpoints. Even by yourself, it's good for your mind to learn new things.
Maybe someone at your church, or a neighbor has a garden and could take you under their wing. I hear chickens aren't too difficult to raise, if you don't have a lot of them. Also, there are free publications available through your county about emergency preparedness, and they tell you how to purify water in an emergency. You can go to READY.GOV for excellent preparedness info.

HOUSEMOUSE can you post more info on gardening with astrology?
tyia

tyia

I certainly can! I use it all the time when planting my seeds, transplanting my seedlings, etc... but wonder if it belongs on a different thread?

I am in zone 5, so what works for me will be a bit different in other zones, but the principles still stand.

You use the new moon to plant seeds that will sprout in 7 days or so. The full moon for those that need 14 days, and the new moon again for those that need 21 days or longer.

Try to transplant out when the moon is full. Maybe I could use the "mundane astrology" thread for this and other things related to every day life? (like when to get a good haircut)

FifthEssence? Where should we put it?

Yes, a person could bankrupt themselves trying to buy things in order to be prepared. Why not use this as an opportunity to make this a fun and educational thing for your children and yourself. A trip to the library to choose some books about easy to grow herbs, fruits and vegetables can be a great way to interact with your kids. And the more you do with your children, the more open they are to your viewpoints. Even by yourself, it's good for your mind to learn new things.
Maybe someone at your church, or a neighbor has a garden and could take you under their wing. I hear chickens aren't too difficult to raise, if you don't have a lot of them. Also, there are free publications available through your county about emergency preparedness, and they tell you how to purify water in an emergency. You can go to READY.GOV for excellent preparedness info.

tyia

Unfortunately Housemouse I am not a take charge type of person. Right off the bat growing or raising food is out of the question. We live right in town with tiny yards. If one were to try and plant in containers, it would be stolen. City ordnances prevent you from raising chickens, cows or pigs. Basically all I can do is buy food that has a long shelf life. Believe me if I could take control, I would. I can't even begin to figure out how much to store not having any idea for how long I need to store it. I already have money set aside, a coleman stove and fuel, propane tanks for grill, bottled water, oil and lanterns, a generator and gasoline, tons of batteries, radio. My husband and son are right in on this with me but we have NO clue how much we need to store food wise. I have been making gallons of soup and freezing it, but now I wonder if it should have been canned instead. This is just way above what I can deal with not knowing if I'm to store food for a year, two years, or eternity.

Unfortunately Housemouse I am not a take charge type of person. Right off the bat growing or raising food is out of the question. We live right in town with tiny yards. If one were to try and plant in containers, it would be stolen. City ordnances prevent you from raising chickens, cows or pigs. Basically all I can do is buy food that has a long shelf life. Believe me if I could take control, I would. I can't even begin to figure out how much to store not having any idea for how long I need to store it. I already have money set aside, a coleman stove and fuel, propane tanks for grill, bottled water, oil and lanterns, a generator and gasoline, tons of batteries, radio. My husband and son are right in on this with me but we have NO clue how much we need to store food wise. I have been making gallons of soup and freezing it, but now I wonder if it should have been canned instead. This is just way above what I can deal with not knowing if I'm to store food for a year, two years, or eternity.

CourtsInSession, you have taken the first step by defining your circumstances. You have very little space for growing food, but you can enjoy a few pots, hopefully sheltered from sticky-fingered neighbors.

So, storing up dehydrated food will give you some comfort. And, there is lots at your local supermarket. And, none of us know how much we need to store, or for how many!

I have three grown children, and none of them want to think about what we worry about. Like Starbucks will always be there, right? I am serious here! My sister's grown children came to visit last summer, and drove 30 minutes one way to get their Starbuck's fix, and then home again.

Can someone explain that to me?

All I can advise you to do is to make up a list of weekly meals that everyone will eat without weeping into their plate. Once you have that, stock up on the foods you need.

You are way ahead of most people, because you have a way of cooking, a generator, batteries, etc. And, most importantly, your husband and your son are on the same page! Let them help you with the food lists, as this kind of planning can bring a family together.

Seriously, CourtsInSession, start with one week of meals and water stored. Then try to figure out from one week what you might store for a month. Think of it as building blocks. Getting the rest of the family involved will help, particularly if you make it fun!

Plan a "disaster" weekend. Pretend that all utilities are no available. Break out the candles, and turn off the electric. Learn what our grandmother had to deal with, and cook early, so the dishes are done before it gets dark. (We learned this when our power went out two summers ago, not fun trying to do dishes in the dark!) Get the guys involved in a "test-run".

You will find out what our grand-parents, and great-grands considered normal. Most importantly, you will feel in control, the mistress of your home, and ready for whatever comes your way.

Water for flushing the toilet is probably the biggest thing most people forget, actually. Start saving containers of water just for flushing, and corn-cobs for wiping. (that is a joke!)

I fully understand what others are saying that God will provide. I also understand that I have been taught since I was a little girl that God helps those who help themselves.

With the price of gas last summer, your nieces little road trip added up to an expensive coffee at Starbuck's. Sometimes you just have to find excuses and do crazy things to keep your sanity.

I was going to can meat and vegetables, but I don't know as I feel too safe with canning meat. I know all of you have helped calm me somewhat now that I know I am somewhat on the right track. I also have a bread maker and a vacuum sealer and bags that should be quite useful.

Fifth, I do hope you find a place to move all the info on preparing to, because I have lots more questions for those of you in the know! Thanks for being so helpful.

Courtsinsession...Google a search for "container gardening". Can be done in very little space. For example...Two years ago I bought one little tomato plant and tossed it in a pot on my front steps. After a couple weeks I put a tomato cage around it because it was GROWING! I was amazed at the tomatoes I got off that plant! I was giving them away I had so many. We live in the country on 5 acres and last year I decided that little plant did so well Im gonna grow a garden :) I planted 12 tomato plants among other veggies and well, I was able to supply my mother in laws restaurant with tomatoes for the whole summer.
This years garden wil be HUGE! Im canning.....

SURVIVALIST Tips associated with Home and Gardening based on the planetary positions and that of the Sun and the Moon.

copied from post by HOUSEMOUSE

I certainly can! I use it all the time when planting my seeds, transplanting my seedlings, etc... but wonder if it belongs on a different thread?

I am in zone 5, so what works for me will be a bit different in other zones, but the principles still stand.

You use the new moon to plant seeds that will sprout in 7 days or so. The full moon for those that need 14 days, and the new moon again for those that need 21 days or longer.

Try to transplant out when the moon is full.

I fully understand what others are saying that God will provide. I also understand that I have been taught since I was a little girl that God helps those who help themselves.

With the price of gas last summer, your nieces little road trip added up to an expensive coffee at Starbuck's. Sometimes you just have to find excuses and do crazy things to keep your sanity.

I was going to can meat and vegetables, but I don't know as I feel too safe with canning meat. I know all of you have helped calm me somewhat now that I know I am somewhat on the right track. I also have a bread maker and a vacuum sealer and bags that should be quite useful.

Fifth, I do hope you find a place to move all the info on preparing to, because I have lots more questions for those of you in the know! Thanks for being so helpful.

Courts, in order to can meats and "non-acid" veggies, soups, etc, safely, you need a Pressure Canner. Take a deep breath and calm down, everyone!

The days of pressure cookers exploding pea soup or oatmeal all over the kitchen are long gone! The "modern" ones have relief valves that eliminate that hazard. And, there are very nice pressure canners so we can can meats, soups, low acid veggies, etc. Google for deals!

Great that you have a bread maker! Those who don't need to know that you can make excellent bread in a Cuisinart, and it only takes a few minutes to mix and knead the ingredients. I made bread for our gang using my trusty Cuisinart for years, and the gang gave me a wonderful Bosch mixer for Christmas last year, so I could make and freeze up to eight loaves at a time. The Cuisinart is good for two loaves. I didn't want a KitchenAid, because these are good for general mixing, they really do not have the power to knead 8 loaves worth of dough at a time.

So, Courts, look for those really good deals on meat, and get a "wish-list" printed up for your birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, etc. Nothing makes a woman more secure than a well-stocked pantry, full of glistening jars of home-made food.

And, since a big garden isn't practical, look for "pick your own" places, and prepare a picnic lunch, and get the family involved. They can help pick, process, and can with you! Look for recipes on the 'net, and get creative.

What I hope to do on this thread is put up the better times to take care of our homes and gardens.

We all know that the Moon travels through all the signs in about one month, and the Bible tells us that there is a time for everything under heaven. So, we can get in touch with the lunar rhythm, and take advantage of the best times to do things.

I will start with gardening as an example. If you look on the back of seed packages, they will usually tell you how long it "should" take for seeds to sprout.

Some seeds sprout right away, in seven days or less. Some take 14 days, and some take 21 or longer. What works well is to keep track of the new and full moons. Time the planting of your seeds so they will sprout at the new moon.

So, for tomatoes, if you plant the seed a few days before the new moon, they will sprout much faster than if you plant them at the full moon. This assumes you know to keep the seeds warm, etc... Once they have sprouted, you get the babies under shop lights, and they then prefer cooler temps.

I usually pot mine up after they have sprouted and have their first true leaves, around the time of the full moon. There is a reason for this.

Leaf growth takes place between the new moon and the full moon. Root growth takes place between the full moon and the new.

If you have questions, and are thinking of starting seeds, just ask! I have grown just about everything, even lavender, from seeds.

Courts, in order to can meats and "non-acid" veggies, soups, etc, safely, you need a Pressure Canner. Take a deep breath and calm down, everyone!

The days of pressure cookers exploding pea soup or oatmeal all over the kitchen are long gone! The "modern" ones have relief valves that eliminate that hazard. And, there are very nice pressure canners so we can can meats, soups, low acid veggies, etc. Google for deals!

Great that you have a bread maker! Those who don't need to know that you can make excellent bread in a Cuisinart, and it only takes a few minutes to mix and knead the ingredients. I made bread for our gang using my trusty Cuisinart for years, and the gang gave me a wonderful Bosch mixer for Christmas last year, so I could make and freeze up to eight loaves at a time. The Cuisinart is good for two loaves. I didn't want a KitchenAid, because these are good for general mixing, they really do not have the power to knead 8 loaves worth of dough at a time.

So, Courts, look for those really good deals on meat, and get a "wish-list" printed up for your birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, etc. Nothing makes a woman more secure than a well-stocked pantry, full of glistening jars of home-made food.

And, since a big garden isn't practical, look for "pick your own" places, and prepare a picnic lunch, and get the family involved. They can help pick, process, and can with you! Look for recipes on the 'net, and get creative.

Thanks Housemouse for the info. I found a site for the bosch mixer which makes more bread then my bread maker, that makes one loaf at a time. Please show me the way! Which mixer do you have?

http://www.mykitchencenter.com/Results.cfm?category=6&gclid=COrQ2t_yjJkCFQw9GgodICgimQ

Now I'm off to find a pressure canner. I am going to give canning meat a try.

The period from the new moon to the full moon is called the "waxing" moon.

The waxing moon takes in, plans, builds up, stores up energy, gathers and increases strength, is a good time for rest and recovery.

The period between the full moon and the new moon is called the "waning" moon.

The waning moon removes, detoxifies, cleans out, dries and hardens, and is a good time for action and expending energy.

So, it makes sense to plan your work during the waxing moon, and carry out your plans during the waning moon, to the extent that you can.

The moon will be full on March 10th at 10:38 PM here in NY State. Your time zone will have a different time, obviously. So, any projects around the house that you planned, thought about, got organized in the two weeks before March 10th will go more smoothly if you work to get them finished before the next new moon.

That next new moon will be on March 26th. Time to rest up, recover, plan, build up your reserves of energy, and get ready for the next full Moon to carry out the plans hatched in the waxing phase. Time to get back into action will be April 9th.

Give this a try for household tasks requiring some physical energy, and see how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27