Former Monkee Peter Tork says he has cancer

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29539992/

Rare form of disease hasn't spread past tongue, prognosis said to be good

"Peter Tork, a former member of the 1960s pop group the Monkees, says he has a rare form of head and neck cancer, but the prognosis is good.

The 67-year-old Tork had surgery Wednesday in New York. His spokeswoman says he is doing well and will begin radiation treatment after a short recovery period.

He announced on his Web site Tuesday that he has been diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma on the lower region of his tongue. He says it's an uncommon but slow-growing type of cancer, and it hasn't spread beyond the initial site."

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery to Peter, the Monkees were my fav when I was in early elementary school :) (ahhh the 60's :D)

For a reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Kat,
I loved the Monkees as a kid too. Peter was always my favorite. I wish him well.

Aw, I LOVED the Monkees.
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery...

Loved? I still love the Monkees. I hope he makes a full recovery.

I was 12 when the Monkees' TV show started and I adored Micky Dolenz, but I actually loved all of them. I hope Peter makes a speedy recovery, he is a great guy.

Nyla 4, I'm with you - still love 'em. Prayers for Peter to recover smoothly!!

Still Love All THE MONKEYS. Get well Peter. (I always married Davey though, when we played pretend)

Funny, didn't see any of you guys at the wedding when I married him!! My Monkees CDs are ones I always take on long car trips!! When I hit 5'3" I said I wasn't going to grow anymore because he was 5'3". I'm probably closer to 5'4" now but when asked I ALWAYS say 5'3".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29539992/

Rare form of disease hasn't spread past tongue, prognosis said to be good

"Peter Tork, a former member of the 1960s pop group the Monkees, says he has a rare form of head and neck cancer, but the prognosis is good.

The 67-year-old Tork had surgery Wednesday in New York. His spokeswoman says he is doing well and will begin radiation treatment after a short recovery period.

He announced on his Web site Tuesday that he has been diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma on the lower region of his tongue. He says it's an uncommon but slow-growing type of cancer, and it hasn't spread beyond the initial site."

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery to Peter, the Monkees were my fav when I was in early elementary school :) (ahhh the 60's :D)

For a reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Me, too! My first ever fav band......and Peter was my most fav Monkee!

Funny, didn't see any of you guys at the wedding when I married him!! My Monkees CDs are ones I always take on long car trips!! When I hit 5'3" I said I wasn't going to grow anymore because he was 5'3". I'm probably closer to 5'4" now but when asked I ALWAYS say 5'3".

BBM

And, folks, do you intentionally plan trips to include any town named Clarksville?

What song are you playing as you drive through???

BBM

And, folks, do you intentionally plan trips to include any town named Clarksville?

What song are you playing as you drive through???
I took the last train to Clarksville, MO. It was a long time ago!

My mother introduced me to the monkee's when I was about 11. She went on a business trip and saw them and came home an told me about them.

Rip Peter

I'm sorry to hear of Peter's passing. Back in 1967 my mom bought tickets for a friend and me to see the Monkees at Olympia Stadium in Detroit but the show was cancelled due to the Detroit riots. It got rescheduled at Cobo Hall so we got to see them. I have a few pictures lying around somewhere of them from that night.

Not long after I got "too cool" to like the Monkees but now I'm glad I went. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed their 1968 movie Head, mainly because they poked a little fun at themselves, acknowledging the love/hate attitude of some music fans. And also because Frank Zappa, Jack Nicholson, Dennis Hopper, Anette Funicello and others all had roles in the film.

Some trivia...

Stephen Stills tried out for the part but didn't get it, allegedly because he was too short. Stills himself says he wasn't really interested in the part but suggested the producers check out Peter as he was another "real" musician.

Both Stills and Neil Young recorded a few songs with the Monkees but I think the only one that made it through the cutting floor was You and I from the Monkees' 1969 album Instant Replay, which Young played on.

Anyway, Peter brought a lot of musical happiness to the world and from everything I've read was a really nice guy. RIP Peter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back