783 users online (197 members and 586 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WV - Hollie Jo Chewning, 40, Elkins, 17 Feb 2009

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=53848

Hollie Chewning has been missing since February 17.
    Police say Hollie Jo Chewning, 40 of Elkins, disappeared after she left her apartment to go to the bank.

She left everything behind including her medication.

http://theintermountain.com/page/con...id/515820.html
    First story 2/20/09, first reported missing 2/19/09. Not seen since 4:00p.m. Tues., 2/17/09 when she went to the bank, took $80.00 out of an atm.

Elkins, WV, population, little over 7000.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

We used to live beside Hollie in Moorefield until we moved 5 years ago. She is such a wonderful person,and would do anything for anyone. I sure hope she is found safe. Does anyone know how old that photo is of her they are showing?

Finallap:
    Welcome.
    Do your know the Chewning family?
    She lived with her brother. Did they have a good relationship?
    There is hardly any information about Hollie Jo out there.
    She was at the bank at 4:00p.m. to withdraw $80.00 in cash.
    Do you know the weather on 2/17/2009 in Elkins?
    Would she have driven past the river to go home?
    Are there canyons or ravines she may have to pass on the way home?
    Did she suffer from seizures?

Do you know if the police have searched for her?
    With police dogs or by land or by air?

I may ask the police dept. if they have any updates.
    Gary Haugen

We only knew Holllie.. Never did meet any of her family...Hollie lived in a house next to my wife and I..We moved back to Ohio 5 years ago..I was wondering the same thing about the weather and everything like you are

The roads were clear on the 17th. It was cold but not belowing freezing. From the news reports, it sounds like she lived in downtown elkins. Her bank couldn't have been just a few miles at the most. Outside of elkins is very hilly. Caves, ravines, caverns, national forests....it's a very rural mountain highlands area.

I wish this story would get more local news coverage!

News coverage on Holly?

I grew up in WV around the Clarksburg area which is near Elkins, and I pass through there sometimes when I visit home. WBOY has never been known for comprehensive coverage of anything much less a missing adult. The newspapers are just as bad. There is a lot of drug activity in Elkins, does anyone know if this is a possibility? I have been searching the local forums and I am not getting much at all. I am afraid this may be one that will be soon swept under the rug because of the vic's age. Hoping not.

OK, this one is bothering me a lot. Why did the brother wait until the following day to call police? Most ATMs have cameras on them. Do we know that Hollie was the one that got her money and was it possible to see if there was anyone else in the car? How would I find this out? I am new at this, but WV has a pretty low crime rate, so when something happens usually they have the resources to work it. Unfortunately, not all of the departments have great experience or funding because of the poverty level in the state.

I have been researching this case.
    Hardly any news info.
    I did send an email to the WV state police, as I could not find
    Hollie Jo listed in a national database for missing people,
    as mentioned in a news article.
    I too was concerned about why she was not
    reported missing til the next day.
    I don't know if the brother was at work or what.
    Will try to do more for Hollie Jo and get her
    story out there.
    I just wonder if her pickup ran off the road. ?
    Gary Haugen

Car accident?

The idea of her having an accident is not farfetched at all. Frankly, most roads in WV are extremely narrow and curvy and since it is so mountainous, it's not unusual for them to be steep as well. If you throw in the fact that there are so many trees and ground cover, it's very conceivable she went over a hill and may still be trapped in her vehicle. With recent temps let's hope not. I checked and she is not listed on the WV missing persons site put out by the state police yet either.

It doesn't seem to be a good thing to be a missing adult in WV right now. We definitely need more media coverage and soon.

My partner and I went to Seneca Rocks last fall for a conference. You could drive off the edge of a cliff in an accident out there and not be found for years. It's that curvy and the roads are really steep in places.
    I checked the database for the WV police also. She's wasn't listed. I need to check again!

One of the news reports I read gave her mother's phone number to call for tips. I can't find it now. I was thinking I could call her and offer some help?

I"m also concerned that she wasn't reported missing until the next day. It tells me that her brother and her weren't getting along real well. Or maybe he has a substance abuse problem and wasn't concerned (aware) until the next day? If I go to town to get supplies and don't show up in a few hours, my family would be really flipped out!

wvagirl. I'm about 30 miles west of Clarksburg. I know what you are saying about the weather and the roads. And the media! I'm going to email the local media again tonight

I had wondered if the roads and terrain were mountainous.
    I live in Oregon and we have mountain roads and lots of forests.

I did email the local police department, the local newspaper, and the mayor of
    Elkins, WV, to see if there was any update about Hollie Jo Chewning.
    Gary Haugen

Shared Spirit:
    The mother's phone number is in the news article in post number 2.

It does not look like Hollie Jo Chewning has a missing persons poster or entered into
    any national database or listed on any missing persons website except this one.

There is no my space page. There is no facebook. There does not appear to be appeals from the family or vigils or searches, from what I can tell.
    Gary Haugen

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cf...&storyid=53848 March 6, 2009 article. Same basic information listed.
    Gary Haugen

Websleuthers,
    I am completely new at this, but I really would like to help. Should I approach the family to see if we can get a Facebook page going? I also e-mailed WBOY to see if that will rouse some coverage. I am willing to help any way that I can. This seems like there is no one really searching for Hollie and if she is in danger we have already lost valuable time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast