Identified! AZ - Yavapai Co., WhtFem 157UFAZ, 25-40, pregnant, Aug'95 - Name not found

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
Unidentified White Female

* Located on August 14, 1995 near Clarkdale, Yavapai County, Arizona.
* The victim had been deceased for about six months to a year, indicating the victim died between the summer of 1994 and February, 1995.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25 - 40 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2" - 5'5"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brownish-blonde hair. She was at or near full term pregnancy.
* Clothing: She was wearing Gap jeans, a blue hooded sweatshirt, size 8½ tennis shoes, a straw hat and sunglasses. A Catalina brand, blue, green and black colored one-piece swim suit was found in a tree near the body. A purple hair clip was also found.
* Other: She was wearing a solar shield from recent eye surgery.

Case History
On August 14, 1995 a mountain climber found the skeletal remains of this White female in the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness area near Clarkdale, Arizona. There was no identification found with the body and no back packing equipment was ever located.
The trail where the unknown woman was found is ten miles from Clarkdale. No vehicle was located near the beginning of the trail. Police say the area is popular with hikers and follows a creek at the bottom of a canyon. The trail itself is an easy hike, but the general nature of the canyon, off the trail, is extremely rugged. The victim's body was found near the top of a knife-edged ridge, several hundred yards up from the trail. This portion of the canyon is natural wilderness and is difficult terrain for the average hiker, let alone a woman who is nine months pregnant.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/157ufaz.html

I hope there isn't already a thread on this.
I find this case very strange and I'm surprised that she hasn't been identified yet given such details as the pregnancy and the solar shield.

Unfortunately, I cannot find more information about the UID on the internet, for example regarding the fetus. Mhm :confused:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/157ufaz.html
157UFAZ.jpg

Woman's remains were found in Yavapai County, they were discovered 10 miles from Clarkdale. She was almost full term pregnant, which means both her and her child died as well. Need a fresh set of eyes on this, any input would be appreciated, shes been gone too long, let's solve this case once and for all!

PS. Posted with permission from the Doe Network.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1118dfca.html
Cecilia Elizabeth Newball
Missing since September 20, 1994 from Los Angeles, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 20, 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11" - 5'0"???(152 cm); 94 lbs (43 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic female. Brown/black hair; brown eyes.
Medical Conditions: She was 8-months pregnant at the time
AKA: Cecilia Elizabeth Amaya
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Newball was last seen in the company of her son Rene Perez on September 20, 1994 in Los Angeles, CA.
Her husband last saw her at home, writing thank you notes for gifts from her baby shower.
When her husbamd came home from work, he noticed that Cecilia's car was parked on the street, instead of in the building's secured lot. He rushed into their apartment in search of his wife and stepson. Inside, there were no signs of a break-in or struggle, but there were no signs of Cecilia and Rene either.
In the Jeep, the husband found a generic store-bought good-bye card. It was signed simply, "Cecilia." Cecilia's wedding and engagement rings had been left on the passenger seat. Cecilia did not take a change of clothes for herself or her son, nor her son's eyeglasses.
Three days later, the husband received a letter postmarked in nearby Van Nuys, California. Inside the envelope was a card identical to the one found in Cecilia's car. There was also a typewritten note from Cecilia explaining that she had gone to Honduras with another man, a doctor named Arturo. Police do not believe the note was from Cecilia.
Cecilia was born in El Salvador. She was on maternity leave from her job as a customer service representative at a nearby company.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department 323-526-5541
Agency Case Number: 990006231 NCMEC #: NCMC860426 NCIC Number: M-070116903
(I have to question the height estimate of Cecilia, especially if it was guessed by her husband)
Here's a side by side comparison

Attachments

• Cecilia E Newball missing CA 8 mo pregnantAZ Jane.jpg
    Cecilia E Newball missing CA 8 mo pregnantAZ Jane.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 255
The hair color doesn't match all that well but the other characteristics certainly do. I agree that Cecilia's height might be a guess and I'm not so sure about her weight, either. If she was eight months pregnant and still only 94 pounds (women are advised to gain 20-30 pounds during pregnancy, though that varies by doctor) could she really have been as light as 74 pounds pre-pregnancy? Judging by her face alone, Cecilia looks like she was either of normal weight or thin, but not dangerously thin.

I wonder if the sunglasses, swimsuit and straw hat were planted with Jane Doe's body to give the impression that she was vacationing instead of a woman who had been abducted and killed. I googled "solar shields" and they appear to be non-prescription, wrap-around sunglasses often worn after eye surgery, but JD's remains were skeletal, so could the coroner even tell if she'd truly had eye surgery? They could have been planted with her body in an attempt to mislead LE.

JD was found in rugged terrain and Cecilia drove a Jeep, which wouldn't look out of place at all by hiking trails and could have handled hilly roads. If Cecilia's husband's account was true, Cecilia and her son could have been abducted outside their home and they might have only been planning to be out for a short while, which would explain why Rene's glasses were left behind.

I think this match looks good, but if it is a match I hope her son Rene is still unharmed somewhere out there. :(

The above thread that you linked above, it brings me back to this one.... same number too! What is the other thread listed as ?????
Methinks I have gone crazeee.....:eek:

You're not going crazy, after LadyStardust's post, the two threads were merged.
:)

Hey. I was checking out this thread and had a question.

The one-piece bathing suit... If the lady was nine months pregnant, was the bathing suit the right size?

Hey. I was checking out this thread and had a question.

The one-piece bathing suit... If the lady was nine months pregnant, was the bathing suit the right size?

I'm not seeing a size listed for the bathing suit, did I miss something?

I am somewhat local to the area where this UID was found, within a 2 hr drive. Some random thoughts:

Sycamore Canyon is back country, and very remote, so she was either brought here by someone or was a very experienced hiker. No paved roads, no visitors center. This area is near Sedona, so perhaps she was a tourist, but would she have traveled here alone? There are so many hiking areas in Sedona, easier for her in her pregnant condition, so why would she have picked Sycamore Canyon? Sycamore Canyon is, however, only 8 miles from Williams at its north side, which is on Rt 40, which runs across the top of AZ from CA to NM. Depending on where she was located, she may have been near an entrance on the Williams side, rather than the Clarksdale/Jerome side(making the idea of her being "dumped" alittle more likely) In reading the description of Sycamore Canyon, it states that moterized and mechanical vehicles (mountain bikes) are prohibited. How did she get there? There are rattlesnakes and black bear in this area--was she attacked? It is also very dry here--perhaps she did not have enough water and became dehydrated and perished? The doe listing states that she was on a ridge above the trail...was there another trail above her that perhaps she fell off? I would be curious to know what trail she was found near...

As far as the eye surgery---I wonder if LE contacted eye doctors in the local area to inquire whether a pregnant woman had recently had eye surgery. I have actually worn these glasses, without having surgery, however. My cornea has been scratched twice in my lifetime (yes, the same eye), and I had to wear these kind of glasses to keep my eyes from dilating too much from the light, as that caused irritation for the scratched cornea. They are alittle odd looking, but someone viewing them may think they are just "odd" sunglasses.

If she had a bathing suit, and it was in fact hers, she had to have been there in the late spring, summer. By Aug, this area is in the monsoon season, so stormy weather is common. This area of Arizona gets very cold and even snowy in the winter, and does not have moderate temps like Phoenix.

What was her cause of death? If she was in fact placed here by someone, she could have been brought in at any time of the year, but some of the trails maybe difficult in the winter.

Another thought....if there were any other UID's found in the same area, perhaps she had been traveling with someone and they were carjacked etc?

Michelle Barnett has some of the characteristics, and Palm Springs is not too far a drive from this area (4-5 hours). If her family had not seen her for awhile, perhaps they did not know she was pregnant?

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301160W

I've actually looked at her too, there is some resemblence to Jane Doe and it is entirely possible that, if she hadn't been in regular contact with her family, they would not know she was pregnant.

I wonder if the glasses were Solar Shield brand or if that term was just used to describe the type of glasses found with her. I also wonder if they tried to track down recent purchases in the local area of solar shields.

It sounds like she was dressed to be outside in a sunny area (solar shield, straw hat) but the bathing suit raises some questions for me. Was she planning on swimming, or splashing in the creek? It says there's a creek nearby but it's hard for me to imagine a heavily pregnant woman wanting to hike a rugged trail just to get to a creek.

Given that no abandoned vehicle was found, I don't think she set out on her own.

I've actually looked at her too, there is some resemblence to Jane Doe and it is entirely possible that, if she hadn't been in regular contact with her family, they would not know she was pregnant.

I wonder if the glasses were Solar Shield brand or if that term was just used to describe the type of glasses found with her. I also wonder if they tried to track down recent purchases in the local area of solar shields.

It sounds like she was dressed to be outside in a sunny area (solar shield, straw hat) but the bathing suit raises some questions for me. Was she planning on swimming, or splashing in the creek? It says there's a creek nearby but it's hard for me to imagine a heavily pregnant woman wanting to hike a rugged trail just to get to a creek.

Given that no abandoned vehicle was found, I don't think she set out on her own.

Thank you for the run down on the area. That is exactly what we need to hear. Climate, location, tx. And great questions.

I agree with you about the swimming. I am not familiar with the swimming areas in Sycamore Canyon, but the big swimming area in Oak Creek Canyon-Slide Rock, would not be safe for a fully pregnant women to use. Just as the name implies, there are alot of slippery areas and unstable rock.

Perhaps... the U.I.D. was abducted, held for along period of time (months or years, even), all-the-while being sexually abused/raped by her abductor(s).

Perhaps... the U.I.D. was not pregnant at the time of her abduction, but became pregnant during her captivity.

Perhaps... as she neared the end of the pregnancy, the abductor decided it was easier for him to dispose of her before she gave birth, rather than have to deal with an infant, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back