Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechele Linehan, 99 Years for Murder of Kent Leppink,-UPDATE Won Appeal of Conviction

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I remember watching 48 hrs. and Kent also had the change of beneficiary card in his pocket when found deceased. He'd changed it over to his parents. During the show at times I almost suspected Kent of having himself killed somehow, his parents since he'd embezzled from them in the past, and the teenager because Michelle was probably manipulating him along with the rest. But, lies about the homosexuality of Kent and the Hope note in her writing, pretty much convinced me, but without the insurance policy those weren't very much evidence against her IMO. I don't understand why she strung Kent along so much with on and off marriage plans though. Michelle's voice also annoyed me and the stony look on her face when found guilty. Her husband was crushed and trying to reach out for her and she almost seemed to recoil from him until she was led out and allowed to give him a hug.

The pro-Mechele camp really really wants people to believe that Kent planned his own assisted suicide. [There are also hints among commentators (I use the term loosely meaning folks who comment online about news articles on the case) that perhaps his father and/or mother killed him which is just an abhorrent, and IMHO completely unfounded, accusation]. I don't think it's entirely impossible to think that a person might do that [assisted suicide]. However, there are some problems I have with this particular scenario in this particular case, such as why all the cover up by the accused? If my friend supposedly had himself killed, and I'm being questioned about it, I would probably want the cops to examine said friend's computer so they could find evidence about the assisted suicide. Destroying the computer seems counterintuitive for an innocent party, IMO.

Also, the gun. Evidence shows which kind of gun killed Kent. Carlin bought the same kind of gun before death. Carlin's son testifies he sees his dad and Mechele standing over a gun in a sinkful of bleach after the death. Gun is not seen after that. Hinky much?

The whole "Kent was gay, but also horribly obsessed about Mechele" thing is just weird and does not ring anywhere near true, IMO.

Yeah, the weird reaction and interaction between her and her husband at trial was just c r e e p y. See this photo courtesy of the Seattle times:
    Last edited by JBean; 05-07-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: no link for photo

Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    This woman came off as a total phoney in every way to me. That little girl sing-songy, poor me voice just grated on me to no end. As far as I'm concerned, she's right where she belongs (after she gets out of the hospital) and I certainly hope they keep her in there. I think she sold her doctor husband a fake bill of goods. Some men are so blind. How could he respect her after finding out all of this was in her past? This is the mother of his child?
    Denial is a very strong thing. Especially group denial. And public denial.

Yes, the person I feel the worst for, too, at this point is their daughter. Regardless of the status of her mother's true responsibility in Kent's murder, this little girl is going to face significant challenges due to everything that has happened and will continue to happen around her. I can't imagine how confused and scared she must feel at times. Despite the denial issue, and their disdain for anyone who disagrees with their perspective on the facts of the case (those whom Mechele's mother refers to as "undesirable readers," I think it was, I'm trying NOT to click on that site too much), they are a supportive bunch, so at least Mechele's daughter has people who love her and will do their best to help her.
    Last edited by flourish; 03-28-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: missed an important word:)

Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bamabeauty View Post
    I wonder if it was a real live medical problem or just histrionics that sent her to the hospital. I think she is guilty as sin and is a psychopath! I think because of that she would never be willing to take a plea bargain. I do not recall the details of Carlin's death but i it possible that she or her supporters could have had him axed in prison? I really hope that with out Carlin they can still bring her to justice. They need to MAKE her sister testify in this trail because her wanting that computer wiped clean screams of her guilt!
    According to the pro-Mechele blog, which I'm trying to not click on but did anyway, this was a "female-related" issue and she's healing well.

I hope they don't offer a plea bargain...so far they've stated they're going back to trial...I don't know the specific laws about that who process anyway

Yeah, the sister thing is sooo disturbing. According to Wikipedia:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechele_Linehan[/ame]

and this article:

http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=7096234

the sister testified at Carlin's trial, then took off and hid in the Czech Republic until after Mechele's trial, when she was held in an Atlanta jail for a week.

Yeah, that doesn't really cast an innocent light on Mechele. At all. Not sure how anyone gets past this part.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Have you all looked at the freemechele site? It has a paypal donation button where yaou can donate to her legal defense - which I guess probably isnt that unusual for these 'Free so and so' sites, but there is also a Free Mechele "store" where you can buy buttons, mugs, t-shirts, etc with Mechele Linehan is Innocent! etc printed on them. Give me a break! Also I agree with the rest of you re her voice - little girlish in an extremely fake way and 'poor me' sounding. In addition I do not think this is a smart woman we are talking about. Anyone who takes out a life insurance policy worth a million dollars on someone else and then murders/has that person murdered not long after and thinks they're going to get away with it is just not intelligent, I'm sorry. If you leave a letter and e-mail trail behind, even less so.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flourish View Post
    Yeah, the sister thing is sooo disturbing. According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechele_Linehan

and this article:

http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=7096234

the sister testified at Carlin's trial, then took off and hid in the Czech Republic until after Mechele's trial, when she was held in an Atlanta jail for a week.

Yeah, that doesn't really cast an innocent light on Mechele. At all. Not sure how anyone gets past this part.
    Hi Flourish, do you know why Mechele's (gosh, even the spelling of her name annoys me) sister was held in jail in Atlanta for a week after she returned from the Czech Republic? Or am I reading that wrong?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:

Mia...Lol...I agree...the spelling of her name annoys* me, too!

Flourish....thanks for the photo...it's quite telling, isn't it?? " I've just been sentenced to life in the clink....here...kiss me goodbye on my ear, baby (as I pull away from you!)."

*To be quite honest, I have to admit that just about everything about this woman annoys me!
    Last edited by Blondie in Spokane; 03-28-2010 at 10:48 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Hi Flourish, do you know why Mechele's (gosh, even the spelling of her name annoys me) sister was held in jail in Atlanta for a week after she returned from the Czech Republic? Or am I reading that wrong?
    IIRC, she was jailed because she was subpoenaed to testify at Mechele's trial but skipped the country instead. The sister did testify at Carlin's trial, though, and her testimony there didn't speak well of her sister. I think there is video somewhere...I'll see if I can find it.

It's nice to have more people around here

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Thanks for looking for thank Flourish. I haven't seen anything else on this except the 48 Hours episode but I was fascinated from the get-go. I'm surprised no one has written a book on this (or have they?). Anyway, I didn't know anything about the sister/computer info but what has been written here, so that's news to me. More nails for her coffin if you ask me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Mia...Lol...I agree...the spelling of her name annoys* me, too!

Flourish....thanks for the photo...it's quite telling, isn't it?? " I've just been sentenced to life in the clink....here...kiss me goodbye on my ear, baby (as I pull away from you!)."

*To be quite honest, I have to admit that just about everything about this woman annoys me!
    If you haven't already, watch the video of the verdict...it's even more telling, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Have you all looked at the freemechele site? It has a paypal donation button where yaou can donate to her legal defense - which I guess probably isnt that unusual for these 'Free so and so' sites, but there is also a Free Mechele "store" where you can buy buttons, mugs, t-shirts, etc with Mechele Linehan is Innocent! etc printed on them. Give me a break! Also I agree with the rest of you re her voice - little girlish in an extremely fake way and 'poor me' sounding. In addition I do not think this is a smart woman we are talking about. Anyone who takes out a life insurance policy worth a million dollars on someone else and then murders/has that person murdered not long after and thinks they're going to get away with it is just not intelligent, I'm sorry. If you leave a letter and e-mail trail behind, even less so.
    Well, her weird name-spelling allowed for the catchy, "Free Me" slogan LOL

I re-watched the Dateline episode yesterday. The audio of the police questioning her right after the murder and then "breaking the news" that he was dead was something I paid more attention to this time than the first time I watched. I think wearing earphones helped, maybe, but anyway, her baby voice was in full force, and listening to her trying to describe her relationship with Kent is ridiculous. I think she's trying to say that "it was a relationship of convenience because he was gay and didn't want his family to know," but she can't think of the word "convenience," and says "conventional" instead.

The life insurance policy is weird. Not exactly high on my list of "Thing to Do with My New Fiance" list.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Thanks for looking for thank Flourish. I haven't seen anything else on this except the 48 Hours episode but I was fascinated from the get-go. I'm surprised no one has written a book on this (or have they?). Anyway, I didn't know anything about the sister/computer info but what has been written here, so that's news to me. More nails for her coffin if you ask me.
    There's one book, but I hear it's awful. I'm surprised there aren't more and will be even more surprised if there aren't some in the works as we speak. Be sure to check out the Dateline episode, which you can see here:

[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/30893037#30891975"]msnbc.com Video Player[/ame]

I think there is footage of her sister in there. I believe the above video contains footage that wasn't seen on the aired episode. On the site, the video is broken down in several pieces, but they play back-to-back all by themselves. I don't know what the embedded video in this post will do.
    Last edited by flourish; 03-28-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarity

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    Ok after watching that I still feel 100% that she is guilty but do have a few notes to make. First off she has had some work done. Looks like botox and collagen in the lips. I just could not help but notice how young and fresh faced she looked during her trail. Second I had forgotten that I was initially very suspicious of Scott and now I remember why. I do not think he was looked at hard enough! Third it sure is funny how everyone is trying to make her ut to be litle Suzy homemaker but she took her baby to go have an afair with one of her boyfriends (Scott ) from the time of the murder. Last watching Lora on the stand she looked coked out of her gourd but watching the extra interview footage with her she really seemed to have a very good grip on the kind of person Mechele is!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bamabeauty For This Useful Post:

Some info on the jail John Carlin was in. As I thought they have only had two murders since they opened, one of them being Mr Carlin.

In the prison's history, there have been two murders inside the prison, one escape and at least one failed escape plot.

In 2008, convicted murderer John Carlin III was beaten to death in Spring Creek. Carlin was the alleged co-conspirator in the case of Mechele Linehan, a former stripper convicted in the death of her former fiance Kent Leppink.[2]

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Creek_Correctional_Center[/ame]

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darnudes For This Useful Post:

Chances for conviction this time?

Apparently the appeal relied partly on the use of poor dead Ken Leppink's letter in the first case. The one about Mechele being guilty. Will the second trial go as well without that piece of evidence? Ooohh, this ticks me off. She's already had more freedom than she deserved.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miss Orange For This Useful Post:

Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    Even without Kent's letter I can not imagine how in the world any jury would not be able to see that she is as guilty as homemade sin!!!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bamabeauty For This Useful Post:

Hi Nancy B...Thanks for the info...most of it's news to me...I have to admit I haven't followed Mechele's story too much. I was surprised to hear that Sharee's (another annoying name!) conviction was overturned. Her and Mechele are two peas in a pod if you ask me! two manipulative bit**es (IMO). Did Sharee get out of jail?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Hi Nancy B...Thanks for the info...most of it's news to me...I have to admit I haven't followed Mechele's story too much. I was surprised to hear that Sharee's (another annoying name!) conviction was overturned. Her and Mechele are two peas in a pod if you ask me! two manipulative bit**es (IMO). Did Sharee get out of jail?
    Peas in a pod indeed! And yes, Sharee has been free since July 2009. A federal judge released her on a personal recognizance bond, pending appeal. Sharee gave a pretty extensive interview in the recent Dateline episode, which can be watched online here: [ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35957453#35957453"]msnbc.com Video Player[/ame]. She's apparently living with a woman who used to work as a guard at her prison. The former guard, Terri F. Williams, is apparently an author who is working on Sharee Miller's biography. In the Dateline interview, Sharee said she was very troubled by [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Error-Mark-Morris/dp/0786015241"]Fatal Error[/ame] the true crime book about her case and apparently she and Williams are going to set the story straight or something.

Does anyone remember what was said about Kent being killed in that remote location? I remember them saying that it was a fluke that he was found at that time. Seems like the murderer would want him found pretty quickly so that a bear or animal didn't scatter his remains resulting in a big delay in insurance payout, if it paid at all for a missing person. It won't suprise me at all if she's found innocent now that Carlen is dead.
    Last edited by txsvicki; 04-01-2010 at 12:15 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txsvicki For This Useful Post:

All the cases I have seen the prosecution always has an advantage on a retrial
    They learn from mistakes that were made first time around and focus on the relevant facts
    There is still far more than enough evidence for a conviction bail will be bitter sweet for her
    She is being completely delusional if she thinks she’s going to stay out

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigbadjohn For This Useful Post:

Let’s get the ball rolling again things have been pretty quiet lately.
    Funny thing as much as we all think she’s guilty the folks at the other camp think the opposite
    How can that be for the same facts 2+2 =5?
    One would wonder how a bunch of same people could be so Diametrically Opposed are we missing something here
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...10039146366980

I think this Brian Watt is no stranger

Brian Watt said...

With regard to sharing legal costs, indeed, if 40 of us chipped in, say, $2,000 up front, and we made monthly payments for a year to the lawyers, each of another $500 a month or something, per person, we have what we need. Right there, is $320,000. I'm in. Count me in. In fact I will contribute more than $2,000down and $500 a month, to the lawyers, so count me in. I'll go way higher than that, on my contribution. Now we just need another 39 people...But I'm in. As they say in poker 'I'm all in".

I understand they have to have a new trial within 6 months?
    They keep going on about money for the defense, some indigent people have had the best defense lawyers money can buy provided by the state.

I still think the state will win
    Last edited by Bigbadjohn; 04-24-2010 at 10:13 PM.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigbadjohn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbadjohn View Post
    Let’s get the ball rolling again things have been pretty quiet lately.
    Funny thing as much as we all think she’s guilty the folks at the other camp think the opposite
    How can that be for the same facts 2=2 =5?
    One would wonder how a bunch of same people could be so Diametrically Opposed are we missing something here
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...10039146366980

I think this Brian Watt is no stranger

Brian Watt said...

With regard to sharing legal costs, indeed, if 40 of us chipped in, say, $2,000 up front, and we made monthly payments for a year to the lawyers, each of another $500 a month or something, per person, we have what we need. Right there, is $320,000. I'm in. Count me in. In fact I will contribute more than $2,000down and $500 a month, to the lawyers, so count me in. I'll go way higher than that, on my contribution. Now we just need another 39 people...But I'm in. As they say in poker 'I'm all in".

I understand they have to have a new trial within 6 months?
    They keep going on about money for the defense, some indigent people have had the best defense lawyers money can buy provided by the state.

I still think the state will win
    Yeah, I read some of his comments on the freemechele blog...the guy sure is vocal about this that's for sure...

I wrote a long post the other day (but my boss interrupted me and I lost it in the shuffle ) about how some of the pro-mechele folks are saying they think the state of Alaska needs to just drop it now because it's so costly to the state of Alaska and the Linehan family. It's starting to remind me of Casey Anthony's lawyers and their whole "the mean old state attorney's office only want the death penalty because they know we can't pay for it and/or had to add more of us so we're qualified." It's ridiculous to think that the decision of whether or not to prosecute someone should be based on whether or not they can afford to pay for the attorneys they want. Am I really missing something here?

One person even said how since Mechele lives in another state now she's not a threat to any Alaskans so why should they bother? Gee...that's awfully kind and logical Why don't all criminals just kill and move to another state and hey that'll be just great! Oooh, and if they get a Master's degree...well, heck, then it's home free!

ETA: I think we're waiting for a bond hearing to see if she's going to get out until her trial.

Oh, and I'm not worried about their case with the omission of the movie and letter, although I think the letter should be allowed. In any case, I agree that the state will still win this one.
    Last edited by flourish; 04-24-2010 at 07:26 PM.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Speechless. If you knew me, you would know just how incredible this is. I wonder if all these people at Mechelle's website would be so loving toward her if it had been their son/brother/father that she killed. Also, I'm pretty sure that prison employees are not paid to be kind to the inmates. Especially those that show absolutely no remorse for the taking of another's life.

42. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joeskidbeck For This Useful Post:

Linehan may be released to third party
    She must stay in the Anchorage area.

http://www.adn.com/2010/04/28/125485...-to-third.html

I can see a plea deal to a lesser charge

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigbadjohn For This Useful Post:

Oh, yes...I'm quite sure that's exactly what will happen....this must be so hard for Kent Leppink's family to take.

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

The Alaska Daily News has posted audio from Linehan's May 3, 1996 interview with law enforcement. It's posted within 7 clips under the related audio content accompanying this article:

http://www.adn.com/2010/04/28/125485...-to-third.html

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nancy botwin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast