Website
www.facebook.com
brewer_tabitha.jpg
brewer_tabitha_ap.jpg

Missing Since: April 27, 1998 from Shawnee, Kansas
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: August 22, 1981
Height and Weight: 5'7, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Brewer has scars on her left knee, on her left hand and under her right eye. One of her ears is triple-pierced, while the other ear has a single piercing. Brewer has the initials "TD" on one of her ankles. Her skull and left wrist were previously fractured as the result of a near-fatal car accident that occured when she was fourteen years old. A wire was inserted into Brewer's jaw after an additional injury prior to her 1998 disappearance. Her nickname is Tabby.

Details of Disappearance

Brewer visited her father and stepmother at their apartment complex in Shawnee, Kansas on April 27, 1998. Her 19-year-old boyfriend, Nicholas Travis, accompanied her during the late evening hours. A photograph of Travis is posted below this case summary. The couple was last seen departing the residence with a friend, Brandon B. Howell, at approximately 12:00 a.m. They were going to run an errand together. A photograph of Howell is posted below this case summary. He told authorities that he dropped Brewer and Travis off at the Circle K convenience store near 75th Street and Interstate 35. They never returned home.

Authorities initially assumed the couple ran away together, but soon discovered foul play was likely involved in their disappearances. Both Travis and Brewer's charred identification and Brewer's purse, with her jewelry and pictures of her family inside, were discovered in a dumpster on the corner of 55th Street and Paseo Boulevard in Kansas City, Missouri approximately three days after they vanished. There were no other signs of Brewer or Travis at the scene.

Travis's body was discovered in August 1998, buried in a shallow grave in the 5400 block of the Paseo in Kansas City, Missouri. His corpse was only found a few hundred feet from the location where the couple's belongings were located more than one year earlier. He was the victim of a homicide; he had several fractures in the back of his skull. There was no sign of Brewer at the scene. She has never been heard from again.

Brewer and Travis had been dating for over a year prior to their disappearances; both lived with Brewer's mother. They had both dropped out of the alternative high school they attended. Brewer's mother stated her daughter had wanted to marry Travis and have his children. Brewer is a good typist and was employed as a secretary at a mortgage company at the time of her disappearance.

Authorities identified Howell as a suspect in Brewer's disappearance and Travis's murder not long into the investigation. Travis's body was found buried in Howell's father's backyard, and inside the home, blood spatters matching Travis's DNA were located. There was a scuff mark like a shoeprint on the underside of the Howell's car trunk lid as well.
Investigators initially lacked the evidence to charge Howell. He was convicted of kidnapping, aggravated assault, attempted aggravated robbery and animal cruelty and has been incarcerated since 1999. The charges stemmed from a home invasion robbery. In 2006, eight years after Travis and Brewer disappeared, Howell was charged with the murders of both of them when witnesses came forward with additional information.

A witness stated that on a night in April 1998, they heard Brewer's voice from inside Howell's father's home, then a man and a woman screaming, and after that the witness saw Howell with blood on his shirt. Howell had also allegedly spoken to several people of a plan to kidnap Brewer and Travis and rob and kill them. Brewer had received a $40,000 car accident settlement shortly before her disappearance, but the money was held in a trust fund and she did not have access to it.

Howell is awaiting trial for the murders. Brewer has never been found, but foul play is suspected in her disappearance due to the circumstances involved.

brewer_howell.jpg
brewer_travis.jpg

Left: Howell; Right: Travis

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Shawnee Police Department

913-631-2151

136UFMO.jpg

brewer_tabitha.jpg

I wonder if LE has ever considered this Jane Doe as Tabitha? It's awfully coincidental that she has a wire in her jaw, a healed depressed skull fracture, and the date of discovery fits...in Kansas. They only found the woman's skull and a few ribs and estimated her age at 30 - 50, but I think they may have that wrong. The facial reconstruction (bone structure) looks like Tabitha too. What do you think?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/136ufks.html

DOE CASE 136ufks

Located on October 12, 1999 in Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas.
Skeletal remains
There is no estimated date of death

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 30 - 40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'8"
Distinguishing Characteristics: The victim had been involved in some sort of traumatic event, possibly from an automobile accident before she died. She had a fractured jaw that was wired together, the fracture was healed and the wiring should have been removed. There was also a healed fracture to the left temple area that was indented, and this should have been noticed by anyone who seen her. The victim's left ribs were fractured, as well.
Dental: She had extensive dental work, and later in life, had received poor dental care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was found near Edmonds and Sorter Drive on October 12, 1999 in Kansas City, Kansas. Only the skull and some ribs of this victim were found.

I just submitted it to KCPD for consideration. I'll let you know what they say. Ugh, if it is Tabitha, it's too bad this wasn't noticed before the trial for Brandon.

Thank you for bumping. How awful this perp got off! The link doesn't work anymore so I couldn't read about how it happened that he was pronounced not guilty.

I wonder if it should be double checked... Because Jane Doe's Namus page says her DNA has not been submitted...

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2436

I went to the same school as Tabby and Nick (and if I'm not mistaken, Howell as well), but just a tad after they disappeared. We ended up having a lot of mutual friends. I can assure you that DNA has been submitted - her parents are pretty adamant and vigilant about finding her killer and body. There's been a rememberence in the high school yearbook for over ten years for both her and Nick, and if I remember right, there's a college scholarship in her name.

I am personally convinced that Howell (a classmate) had heard stories about Tabby's potential money, convinced the two of them two hang out and killed Nick in front of her in an attempt to get the money. He probably then drove her to a remote location, in the trunk which would explain the scuff marks in the roof of the inside of the trunk lid, killed her in a last attempt for cash and then dumped her somewhere she wouldn't be found.

JMO

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article1439467.html

A 34-year-old former convict once acquitted in the killings of two teenagers was charged Wednesday in the death of three people in south Kansas City.

Jackson County prosecutors charged Brandon B. Howell with three counts of first-degree murder, four counts of armed criminal action, two counts of first-degree assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, and felon in possession of a firearm...

A Jackson County jury in 2009 acquitted Howell in the killing of Johnson County teenagers Tabitha Brewer and Nick Travis, who disappeared in 1998.

Thread about yesterday's rampage here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-injured-in-botched-Kansas-City-home-invasion

Any new leads?

They convicted him today. He is going to get the death penalty for those 5 murders. Tabby was a friend of my ex's in middle school. He says Brandon Howell killed her because he thought he could rob her for her settlement from a car accident. She had no access to that money till she was 18? Or maybe 21. So sad. He should at least say where he buried her bc he will be facing execution anyway. If there was ever a poster child for 'too dangerous to live in society' he is it. I feel bad for the fellow prisoners that have to live with him, a lot of them are non violent offenders.

Is there a description of the clothes she was wearing the night she disappeared? I see mention of jewelry but it sounds like much of that was found up in a dumpster with her purse.
Also something that has been bothering me. If Howell did kill her (which I believe he did), why bury Nick in the backyard, but take her elsewhere?

She was wearing a gray Kansas City Chiefs sweatshirt and jeans

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RealAce