Prank Or Plan To Carry Out Plot At OU?

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
This happened at the University of Oklahoma today and I would like some feedback as to thoughts here. Evidently, the staff at OU are taking it as a mere prank without so much as knowing why, who was involved, or any details other than it happened.

As a parent, I find it very troubling and feel like they are trying to sweep the incident under the table. After we have seen so many school shootings and incidents around the country, I am horrified they are treating this so casually.

Group disrupts OU classes

NORMAN — University of Oklahoma officials said a group of men suspiciously entered and stayed in two classrooms Wednesday as a prank.

Witnesses told OU police that seven to eight men walked into two large classrooms in Dale Hall. Most sat in unison while two stood by the door. After initially refusing to leave, the group left the rooms as they entered.

http://www.newsok.com/group-disrupts-ou-classes/article/3353058

Please read the rest of the short article at the link for OU's reaction!

Here is what happened last year 3-08-08:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2042275

OMG I haven't even read the links yet, and i'm horrified!
I got chills reading what you wrote!
That is so unbelievably creepy...how could they just ignore that?
I hope i ask this the right way, but were they by any chance all of a certain race?
All the same race?
Dressed the same, etc????
Are we talking like... terrorist activity or what???
This is so crazy!
If my child was going there....i think i would demand to know more...and keep my child away from there until i know what's going on.
Did they talk at all?
Were they asked to leave?
What did the other students do?
I would have been so uncomfortable...i think i would try to leave, but be so scared something might happen...
i might have started shaking and crying!
I'm going to read the links you posted now.
This is the first i've heard of this!!!! :(

This is the only piece of information they are releasing on the incident. They are not discussing anything else such as if they spoke, what they wore, race, etc. Which I find even more disturbing! Why won't they tell us what happened?! Should we be allowed to know the facts to determine if we feel our children are safe?

Now they say a printing error caused more "concern" than neccessary. It somehow lessens that 2 groups of men did this in the first place? What?!:

NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma said a printing error made an incident on campus Thursday sound more serious than what the school called a "prank."

In the alert issued to Arts and Sciences chairs and directors, Dean Paul Bell Jr. warned staffers about the incident last Wednesday.

It said two groups of men went into two large adjacent lecture halls in Dale Hall. The letter said that the men walked in uniform and most of them sat down at the same time, while two stood by the back doors. The letter said the men refused to leave when asked by the instructor, but eventually did walk out without incident.

The police report about the incident only said that the instructor reported a disturbance and there was no suspect information available. But the report also checked boxes to indicate the incident involved a group or gang, a weapon and may have been a case of domestic violence.

The school said Friday that those boxes should not have been checked and only were because of a printing error. It said the official copy of the document did not have those boxes checked.

http://www.koco.com/news/18921533/detail.html

"There is nothing to indicate that this was anything other than a prank by a student group,” she stated. “We periodically remind faculty members of the tools available to them to report any unusual activity in or near their classrooms.”

I bolded, and that statement makes no sense to me at all. This is most unusual activity. It's almost April, and doesn't alot of this weird stuff occur in April? It sounds like they have not even questioned the "pranksters". :confused:

ok....in order for me to better understand what this Unviersity is denying I copied and pasted from a couple previous posts (hope the owner of the post doensn't mind).

So starting from the present these are the incidents:

1)NORMAN — University of Oklahoma officials said a group of men suspiciously entered and stayed in two classrooms Wednesday as a prank.

Witnesses told OU police that seven to eight men walked into two large classrooms in Dale Hall. Most sat in unison while two stood by the door. After initially refusing to leave, the group left the rooms as they entered

The e-mail warning was the second given to OU professors since February. Former student Michael Childers was arrested several weeks ago on suspicion of trying to kidnap a professor. He has since been released from jail on bond.

A university faculty member told Eyewitness News 5 that photos of Childers had been placed throughout Kaufman Hall, the scene of Childers' alleged attack.

2).Here is the text of the flyer:
"On April 21, 2008, all operations at OU Norman will cease. As of this date, the free university known as Happy Nihilist University will begin. Anyone who wants to learn at HNU, will. And all at no charge. Knowledge is power? It will be. OUPD cannot stop us. Mr. Boren is impotent. He will fail. The media can say whatever they like. They too will fail.
"Amor fati!"

Robert Anderson is accused of posting ominous signs at the University of Oklahoma campus. Anderson was also arrested in 1994 after bursting into the office of then-OU President Richard Van Horn and had to be restrained. He later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of malicious injury to property and failing to leave and institute of higher learning.

So that is 4 incidents that the University chooses to deny their importance. I would not let my child go to that university!!!!

No way! As a student and a teacher, I would refuse to return to class until this incident has been addressed by the president in an open (secure) forum that allows questions from the public. This scares the s**t out of me, knowing how this society is nowdays. Is the media on the story? Are there any parent bulletin boards or discussion groups?

And this is Oklahoma! Does the name Tim McVeigh ring a bell?

Sorry if I over react, but their seeming lack of care really scares and angers me.

Even if it were a prank by students wouldn't you worry about what type of student would think something like this is funny?

I think the dean and the rest of the faculty are just worried about their reputation.

I sincerely believe they need to look into this incident further and be SURE it was just a prank or whatever. They owe at least that to the students and faculty of OSU.

What if this was a 'prank' to see what the reaction was? and there's plans to take it to the next step?

I do know there's some sort of thing the younger people do where everyone gets a text message and they meet in a certain location and everyone does something. One time a large group were at a public location and 'froze.' The idea was to see what the reactions was. It may have even been at Times Square or something?

I strongly feel they should not ASSUME it's harmless, unless they KNOW it was.

JMHO
fran

I checked again today and no...the media is not all over it. The newspaper in Norman has never mentioned it. The other news media only has what was reported previously.

OUPD is "supposed" to be investigating, but in case you missed it...a professor was almost kidnapped a month ago by a man reportedly with a gun and the man was arrested in his hometown of Broken Arrow, OK. He is currently out on bond.

This was the response of the OUPD and Officials on campus:

NORMAN -- A former OU student is in jail after authorities say he tried to kidnap an instructor from the campus around 3:30 p.m. Friday.

~snip~

During the conversations he claimed he only wanted to talk to his former instructor and says he never had a gun. There is no word on when he will be brought back to the Cleveland County Jail.

Authorities say he immediately left campus after this alleged confrontation. Because of that OU officials didn't feel there was a threat to students and decided not to put the campus on lockdown.

http://www.kfor.com/kfor-news-ou-kidnapping-incident,0,6083534.story (Bolded by me)

I checked again today and no...the media is not all over it. The newspaper in Norman has never mentioned it. The other news media only has what was reported previously.

OUPD is "supposed" to be investigating, but in case you missed it...a professor was almost kidnapped a month ago by a man reportedly with a gun and the man was arrested in his hometown of Broken Arrow, OK. He is currently out on bond.

This was the response of the OUPD and Officials on campus:

NORMAN -- A former OU student is in jail after authorities say he tried to kidnap an instructor from the campus around 3:30 p.m. Friday.

~snip~

During the conversations he claimed he only wanted to talk to his former instructor and says he never had a gun. There is no word on when he will be brought back to the Cleveland County Jail.

Authorities say he immediately left campus after this alleged confrontation. Because of that OU officials didn't feel there was a threat to students and decided not to put the campus on lockdown.

http://www.kfor.com/kfor-news-ou-kidnapping-incident,0,6083534.story (Bolded by me)

Ah, I see. He left campus so there was no further threat. He is out on bond now? I bet that professor doesn't sleep very well. And they didn't lock down the campus? They were sure he was the only person involved? I just don;t get how they handle, or don't handle things. Someone is going to end up getting shot if these "pranks" or "harmless kidnappings" continue.

It is obvious to me what standards they have in place for "emergencies" aren't working nor do they appear to be a top priority.

The professor is a female and there was a gun used in the attempted kidnapping. He is out on bond. Very frightening to her I am certain! (As far as it is known he was acting alone.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back