TX - Alexia Lopez, 2, beaten to death, Brenham, 11 March 2008

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Full story is here: http://www.valleycentral.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=271900

Sandra Lopez, said she hired 30 year old Berny Mayel Figueroa of Brenham to watch over her two daughters.

An autopsy confirmed that 2 year old Alexia Lopez died of a blunt force trauma to her stomach, which separated her large and small intestines.

Police in Brenham issued a capital murder warrant for Berny Figueroa, but she was never found. Investigators said she has family in the McAllen area and could be in the Valley.

Oh dear Lord
:(

And this sort of stuff is why I will NEVER Have anyone other than my MIL , my father or SIL look after my children
SIDE NOTE (Congratulations on your pregnancy !!)

Oh dear Lord
:(

And this sort of stuff is why I will NEVER Have anyone other than my MIL , my father or SIL look after my children
SIDE NOTE (Congratulations on your pregnancy !!)

I totally agree. Aside from our family (my parents, my inlaws, my sister, etc), no one else will watch our children.

Thanks for the congrats! We're really excited!

I really hope this case gets more attention. I emailed it to Americas Most Wanted. Maybe a few others could do the same?

Mods: If there's a more suitable forum for this, please feel free move. Thanks!

Lopez murder gets national spotlight-- Family, friends gather to watch ‘America’s Most Wanted’ segment

Sandra and Manuel Lopez watch the “America’s Most Wanted” segment on the murder of their daughter, Alexia.
lopez.jpg

By ARTHUR HAHN/Managing Editor
Published: Monday, September 14, 2009 1:58 PM CDT

Sandra and Manuel Lopez sat quietly and held hands as the first segment of the season premiere of “America’s Most Wanted” began airing Saturday night.

But when the first images of their daughter Alexia appeared on the television, the tears came.

The Lopezes and dozens of family members and friends gathered to view AMW’s 15-minute segment on Alexia, 2 1/2, who authorities say was struck so hard in March 2008 in her stomach that her large intestines had separated from her small intestines.

She died in Trinity Medical Center.

They watched quietly as the drama unfolded, some in the audience dabbling at tears with tissues.

Her former caregiver, Berny Mayel Figueroa, was charged with murder in the case but fled before she could be taken into custody.

Figueroa, originally from Honduras, was legally in the United States and may have fled to Mexico, trying to return to her native country, authorities have speculated.

Saturday’s AMW segment included a reenactment of those painful events, including a grief-stricken, angry Manuel Lopez leading local authorities on a high-speed chase soon after his daughter’s death, and interviews with Sandra Lopez and Brenham Police Detective Lloyd Powell, who has led the investigation on the case.

<snipped>

==============

lopez5.jpg

Victim: 2-year-old Alexia Lopez

lopez2.jpg

Alexia and her tireless advocate - her mother, Sandra Lopez

lopez6.jpg

Manuel Lopez, Alexia's father is devastated by his little girl's death. In this picture, he is with his now 6-year-old daughter Gabby and Alexia.

lopez3.jpg

The fugitive suspect charged with Alexia's death - Berny Mayel Figueroa

lopez4.jpg

Cops say Figueroa may have lost weight while on the run. They believe she may look more like how she looked in 2003, when this picture was taken. Her hair may be shorter and/or blond.

lopeztatoo.jpg

Berny Figueroa has this tattoo of a dolphin jumping out of the water on her lower back.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/video_photos.cfm?id=64350

Additional info on the AMW site:

Aliases Berny Vasquez, Mayel Vasquez
Sex Female
Race Hispanic
Age Now 31
Height 5'5"
Weight 110-130 lbs.
# Hair (Color, Description, Facial Hair) Black
# Medium length straight hair, but may have cut it
# May dye her hair blonde
# May have lost a lot of weight
# Eyes (Color and Correction) Brown

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=64350

If you know where Berny Figueroa is hiding out right now, call America's Most Wanted hotline at 1-800-CRIME-TV. Spanish-speaking operators are on duty, and your privacy will be protected.

Figueroa is wanted on a charge of capital murder. Remember, all felons on the run are dangerous. Do not attempt to approach or apprehend this person. Dial 911 or AMW.

RIP little Alexia. That poor baby.

I hope they find this disgusting excuse for a human and do the same to her.

JUSTICE FOR ALEXIA
(SEPTEMBER 13TH, 2009)

We in Brenham first learned of the horrible death of two-year old Alexia Lopez on March 11th, 2008. We learned that Sandra Lopez had taken her daughter to the Trinity Medical Center emergency room after she had picked her up from the baby sitter, Berny Figueroa.

The Lopez Family is working for justice for their
murdered daughter.

Alexia was complaining of stomach aches and she was vomiting. Alexia died soon after she came in. Brenham Police at first thought that Sandra and Manuel had abused their child but a further investigation found another suspect, Figueroa. Berny Figueroa was named the prime suspect but then disappeared. People in Brenham have known this story for a year and a half, now, millions of Americans know, after Saturday night&#8217;s airing of the season premier of America&#8217;s Most Wanted. The story was told, Sandra Lopez and Brenham Police Officer Lloyd Powell were interviewed and important elements of the story were re-enacted.

At the end of the segment, host John Walsh aired a photo of the suspect along with a complete description. Sandra Lopez said after the program that she hopes this episode will finally lead to Figueroa&#8217;s capture, something she says, needs to happen.

<snipped>

http://www.kwhi.com/news1.htm#DANIELLE LENZ FAIR QUEEN CANDIDATE

This is so reminiscent of Emma Thompson's injuries (minus the sexual aspect). It's reported that Emma also complained of stomach pains, and began vomitting before she passed away.

They both had blunt force trauma to the stomach. But, in poor little Alexia's case, the force was so brutal that it separated her large and small intestines.

What are these people doing to these poor little babies, and why? What is happening in this world??????

sadly this woman is most likely in mexico, but she may have gone over there come up with a new identity and came back to our great state. if she in the houston area she will blend in easily. I will keep my eyes open for her though... does she have children of her own? is there anything else about her? the tattoo is in an easy spot to cover so not much help.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/59642307.html

America's Most Wanted Prompts Leads in Brenham Toddler's Murder

Police in Brenham are following leads in a toddler's murder, thanks to a national television program.

Reporter: Crystal Galny

Police in Brenham are following leads in a toddler's murder, thanks to a national television program.

America's Most Wanted aired the story of two-year-old Alexia Lopez on Saturday.

The show's producers flew Brenham Detective Lloyd Powell to Washington DC to answer a tip hotline during and after the show aired.

Detective Powell said they received about 30 tips, some of them very promising.

Alexia died from blunt force trauma in March 2008 allegedly at the hands of her babysitter, Berny Figueroa.

Authorities believe Figueroa fled the country.

I hope to God they catch this killer today. Please Almighty God.

I feel so bad for baby Alexia, her parents and siblings. Love never dies you will be together again someday.

IS THIS THE PHOTO OF A WANTED KILLER?

(JUNE 15, 2010)

FUGITIVE.jpg

Local authorities say they believe a photograph they received could be of wanted murder suspect Berny Figueroa.

Figueroa is wanted in connection with the death of 2-year old Alexia Lopez, who died over two years ago.

Former Texas Ranger Otto Hanak—now an investigator with the Washington County District Attorney’s Office—says the mother of the victim, Sandra Lopez, is convinced the woman in the photo is Figueroa.

[SNIPPED]

Anyone with information they think might be pertinent is asked to call Brenham Police Detective Lloyd Powell, who has led the investigation on the case, at 979-836-7337.

They can also call Washington County Crime Stoppers at 979-836-TIPS or America’s Most Wanted’s “hot line” at 1-800-CRIME-TV.

http://www.kwhi.com/news1.htm

Local murder case to re-air on ‘AMW’

Published:
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:19 PM CST
With few new clues to work with, Alexia Lopez’s mother and the Brenham Police Department are hopeful a “re-airing” by America’s Most Wanted (AMW) segment on the child’s death will produce new tips.

AMW on Saturday will again show the program featuring the case of Alexia Lopez, who died here in March 2008 from severe abdominal injuries which authorities said were caused by vicious blows. Alexia was 21/2 when she died in the hospital here.

Her caregiver, Berny Mayel Figueroa, was indicted on a capital murder charge but fled before she could be arrested. Authorities have been searching for her for almost three years.

The AMW segment originally aired in September 2009, and authorities and Alexia’s family were hopeful it would result in information leading to Figueroa’s arrest.

That hasn’t happened.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2010/12/29/news/news02.txt

Mods: If there's a more suitable forum for this, please feel free move. Thanks!

Lopez murder gets national spotlight-- Family, friends gather to watch ‘America’s Most Wanted’ segment

Sandra and Manuel Lopez watch the “America’s Most Wanted” segment on the murder of their daughter, Alexia.
lopez.jpg

Published: Monday, September 14, 2009 1:58 PM CDT

Sandra and Manuel Lopez sat quietly and held hands as the first segment of the season premiere of “America’s Most Wanted” began airing Saturday night.

But when the first images of their daughter Alexia appeared on the television, the tears came.

The Lopezes and dozens of family members and friends gathered to view AMW’s 15-minute segment on Alexia, 2 1/2, who authorities say was struck so hard in March 2008 in her stomach that her large intestines had separated from her small intestines.

She died in Trinity Medical Center.

They watched quietly as the drama unfolded, some in the audience dabbling at tears with tissues.

Her former caregiver, Berny Mayel Figueroa, was charged with murder in the case but fled before she could be taken into custody.

Figueroa, originally from Honduras, was legally in the United States and may have fled to Mexico, trying to return to her native country, authorities have speculated.

Saturday’s AMW segment included a reenactment of those painful events, including a grief-stricken, angry Manuel Lopez leading local authorities on a high-speed chase soon after his daughter’s death, and interviews with Sandra Lopez and Brenham Police Detective Lloyd Powell, who has led the investigation on the case.

<snipped>

==============

lopez5.jpg

Victim: 2-year-old Alexia Lopez

lopez2.jpg

Alexia and her tireless advocate - her mother, Sandra Lopez

lopez6.jpg

Manuel Lopez, Alexia's father is devastated by his little girl's death. In this picture, he is with his now 6-year-old daughter Gabby and Alexia.

lopez3.jpg

The fugitive suspect charged with Alexia's death - Berny Mayel Figueroa

lopez4.jpg

Cops say Figueroa may have lost weight while on the run. They believe she may look more like how she looked in 2003, when this picture was taken. Her hair may be shorter and/or blond.

lopeztatoo.jpg

Berny Figueroa has this tattoo of a dolphin jumping out of the water on her lower back.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/video_photos.cfm?id=64350

Additional info on the AMW site:

Aliases Berny Vasquez, Mayel Vasquez
Sex Female
Race Hispanic
Age Now 31
Height 5'5"
Weight 110-130 lbs.
# Hair (Color, Description, Facial Hair) Black
# Medium length straight hair, but may have cut it
# May dye her hair blonde
# May have lost a lot of weight
# Eyes (Color and Correction) Brown

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=64350

Bumping to bring the photos up.

Case of Brenham toddler's 2008 death to be revisited on TV show

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/case-of-brenham-toddler-s-death-to-be-revisited-on/article_49ad6244-d86f-5b5a-b6c3-e6921455c184.html

It's been almost 10 years since the death of 2-year-old Alexia Lopez in Brenham. Police have identified the child's baby sitter Berny Figueroa as the primary suspect, believing the woman beat the child in the stomach so severely that it had separated her intestines.

Though Figueroa has eluded police detection for all these years, her name is being re-publicized this weekend, as she is the subject of Sunday's episode of The Hunt With John Walsh, a CNN original on HLN.

"We're all hoping this helps, we just want closure and justice," Sandra Lopez said. "... It means the world to me that John Walsh still thinks about Alexia."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back