Identified! CA - Van Nuys, Male HC645, 11-17, hit by train, Dec'01 - Bryant Hernandez

MaedchenX

It's business time.
Reaction score
This case really struck me given the age of the victim, he would be my age had he not died so young and seemingly on his own. Surely somewhere someone is missing this young man?

Hot Case 645 (links:http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase645.html)

No Image Available

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on January 12, 2001 in Van Nuys, Los Angeles County, California
Cause of Death: Appeared to have been hit by a train.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 11-17 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 215 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: Blue, X-large, Old Navy T-shirt; black sweatpants; blue jeans, size 58X64. Beige "Dockers", 48X30; navy blue, thermal top, size large. White tank top, size X-large. Navy blue, knit gloves. Navy blue skimask.
Fingerprints: Available.
Dentals: Available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim appeared to have been hit by a train at Sepulveda and Raymer Avenue, in Van Nuys, California on January 12, 2001. He appeard to have been pushing a shopping cart filled with clothing items.

Possible?

BRYANT STEVE HERNANDEZ (link: http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US & http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hernandez_bryant.html

Case Type: Endangered Runaway
DOB: Sep 30, 1986
Sex: Male
Missing Date: Jan 11, 2001
Race: White/Hisp
Age Now: 22 Height: 5'9" (175 cm)
Weight: 180 lbs (82 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Missing City: PANORAMA CITY
Missing State : CA
Missing Country: United States
Case Number: NCMC928354
Circumstances: Bryant's photo is shown age-progressed to 18 years. He may still be in the local area or may have traveled to the New York or Oklahoma areas. He may be traveling with male companions. Bryant has a red birthmark in the shape of a "W" on his forehead and his nickname is Chucky.
* Minor differences in information listed on his charley project page below
Circumstances: Hernandez was last seen in Panorama City, California on January 11th, 2001. He was never heard from again. He is believed to have left of his own accord. Hernandez may still be local to the area, or he may be in the states of Oklahoma or New York. He may be traveling with other males. Few details are available in this case.

Now, I know that the possible I have listed has several inconsistancies. 2 inches off in height, nearly 40 lbs in weight, but I think the timing of the recovery of the victim (01/12/01) and the reported missing/last seen date (01/11/01) together with the fact that Van Nuys and Panorama City neighbor one another are compelling. Although one might also argue that it is they have already been cross-checked. It is also useful to note, for whatever it is worth, that he is the only child listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children that comes close, and I have been very generous with the search fields.

Given that Southern California is often a destination for runaways is very possible that this child came from out of state. I am going to try and seek out some other potential matches. Anyone have any other ideas?

if they haven't checked Bryant, thats unbelievable, imo. But I agree with you - its just too close in time to ignore. submit it. Its possible his parents didn't know how tall or how much he weighed and gave erroneous data - kids grow, you know?

This does seem like a good possibility. I wonder if the birthmark would have been noticeable on the UID?

It seems strange to me that the UID was wearing so many articles of clothing, gloves and a ski mask. I'll see if I can find out what the weather was like in Van Nuys on that date, but it generally doesn't get too cold there.

Well it was a bit chilly - 54 for the high, 44 low.

If he was hit by a train, he was probably severely damaged, makes sense him carrying his clothing in a shopping trolley, if he was a runaway.
It would be unbelieveable but not unheard of if he hadn't been checked.
I think, in my very humble opinion, that it should be called in. Maybe the person who reported him missing underestimated his weight

Hi MaedchenX,

Do encourage you to make this submission as markers for both cases are in the realm of possibility for a match.

You may also want to read the thread titled 'Ca wf 1970' as the UID contact is the same for both. And the LAPD is same contact for the missing persons posted in both threads.

Due to the high volume of cases both agencies deal with (and it seems Inv. Machian is the lone UID contact!), L.A. cases/comparisons may require an 'illogical' approach. That's not meant as a criticism of the agencies but rather as an encouragement for us when posting cases where the logical assumption would be the cases were compared and a match ruled out in the year of occurrence.

So, imo, go for it....the kid needs you.

Thank you Capoly, as I have never done anything like this before (making a submission) is it as simple as making a phone call or sending an email, or would I contact someone at doenetwork.org? Is there any protocol or general proceedure involved? I'll admit I am a bit nervous about the whole thing.

My experience is very limited. I've been fortunate in that the cases I'm involved with here have given me the opportunity to work with Believe09 and see her in action....she should hold classes, she is amazing!

IMO We form relationships with our missing person and UID selections. Submissions are comparable to the 'honeymoon period'...we're excited and want action. And we expect everyone else to see the magic of the match. Then we meet the in-laws...LE & ME...lol

Which is why it's good that Christine2448 has a thread on "Tips before submitting".

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74855

The first post has a run-down list. The second post gives an example of phone script.Fourth post is the toughest...patience and perseverance aka nag. Fifth & seventh posts both suggest what & ways to obtain information that will help you establish/eliminate connections between your missing person & UID.

So maybe the first thing to do would be to set up your 'script' as it relates to this submission and your comfort level?

Can anyone determine if this UID has been id'd? The hotcase link is no longer working and I'm not seeing any John Does listed in the chronological list at Doe Net with a located date of Jan 12, 2001.

tia

I updated the prefix on this one as identified as I have no idea if WS ever submitted this match.

Thank you for finding the updated info tatertot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back