1192 users online (246 members and 946 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

State releases Subpoena List, includes LA,CA and GA

State Releases Subpoena List In Anthony Case
    List Includes Anthony Family, Nursing Home Employees

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The state of Florida has filed a list of people they've subpoenaed in the case against Casey Anthony.

Some interesting names on the list include members of the Anthony family and their relatives.

The list of those subpoenaed by the state includes Cindy, George and Lee Anthony and Cindy Anthony's mother.

Lee Anthony's girlfriend and employees of a Mount Dora nursing home where the last known videotape of Caylee was taken June 15 are also on the list.

Caylee Anthony's remains were found on Dec. 11 in a wooded area off of Suburban Drive near the Anthony home in East Orange County.

Mother Casey Anthony is in the Orange County Jail charged with murder in Caylee's death.

http://www.wesh.com/news/18949432/detail.html

I thought the subpoena of Lee, Cindy and George might have some legal implications come trial time, maybe some of the legal experts can tell us what this means as far as their testimony.

Does the subpeona mean that they will have immunity, at least limited? ---- Please say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
    Does the subpeona mean that they will have immunity, at least limited? ---- Please say no.
    Hmmm, wish we could see the full list of names. But, to answer your question, I don't see how they could have immunity from being served a subpoena. It just means that they are being legally required to answer questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpoena

The truest love there is

I have always known the SA would have to call CA, GA, & LA, since they were the first ones directly involved with KC when the story came out about the Nanny, but it concerns me that they have all told so many documented "mis-truths" and seemingly done everything they could to steer the investigation away from KC. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I only hope that if they are going to put them up there that they have the evidence to prove or disprove everything that is going to come out of their mouths because they have admittingly not been forthright this entire time. Guess we will just have to wait and see how this pans out. *Keeping my fingers crossed.*

It Was Ancient Aliens!

I remember that Lee's atty said he was nervous about possible charges for Lee because he had not been subpoened yet (this was a while back). So now that they have been subpoened (as I understand it) they can not be charged for what they say on the stand, even if it contradicts some of their prior interviews, sworn statements. This does not prevent LE from charging them on other charges after the trial is over (I am beginning to think they are waiting on this). As reported earlier, LE is going to expect them to help convict Casey, I believe this to be the case now more than ever. My problem is with Lee's latest deposition, it's clear he is not being honest in certain areas, given this, can we expect any sort of real honesty from the family come trial time ? IMO, the answer is no.

I foresee that CA/GA/LA will be treated as hostile witnesses. JB will have to play a very delicate game cross examining them.

Maybe not so much GA since he did testify in front of the GJ. We still don't know exactly what he did testify to. But I see CA/LA getting their spin on high gear.

CAs mom will be entirely truthful I think from what I have read between her and her sister's emails.

I have complete confidence with the SA's office getting the truth to come out. There is so much more damaging evidence against KC and the A's. We have seen but a drop in the bucket of what they have.

Agreed they will be treated as hostile witnesses. This will allow the SA a bit more latitude with questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by shgrbkr View Post
    Agreed they will be treated as hostile witnesses. This will allow the SA a bit more latitude with questioning.
    What would being a "hostile witness" imply for them?

This news that they're on the witness list doesn't surprise me at all. They were around her, and around Caylee, more than anyone. I'd have been shocked if they weren't on the list.

ecs5298 is offline Founding Member of AFKBPOFPOPL & Hardwood Mulch King & Bacon Addict
    Since they were subpoena'd they will be granted immunity for what they say on the stand. All it means is that their own testimony can't be used against them. That doesn't mean if they confess to obstructing justice that other evidence can't be used against them. Since LE is unlikely to charge them with anything anyhow, it really doesn't mean anything.
    "When it all goes down the crapper, don't come crying to me. You were warned" - ecs5298, November 6, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by natsound View Post
    What would being a "hostile witness" imply for them?

This news that they're on the witness list doesn't surprise me at all. They were around her, and around Caylee, more than anyone. I'd have been shocked if they weren't on the list.
    I didn't know the answer to this either, so I looked it up, here's a definition of a "hostile witness"...

technically an "adverse witness" in a trial who is found by the judge to be hostile (adverse) to the position of the party whose attorney is questioning the witness, even though the attorney called the witness to testify on behalf of his/her client. When the attorney calling the witness finds that the answers are contrary to the legal position of his/her client or the witness becomes openly antagonistic, the attorney may request the judge to declare the witness to be "hostile" or "adverse." If the judge declares the witness to be hostile (i.e. adverse), the attorney may ask "leading" questions which suggest answers or are challenging to the testimony just as on cross examination of a witness who has testified for the opposition.

http://dictionary.law.com/default2.asp?selected=884

Well, by that definition, CA will "absolutely" be a hostile witness. We will watch her implode on the stand. The SAs have their work cut out for them with this bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Searchfortruth View Post
    I didn't know the answer to this either, so I looked it up, here's a definition of a "hostile witness"...

technically an "adverse witness" in a trial who is found by the judge to be hostile (adverse) to the position of the party whose attorney is questioning the witness, even though the attorney called the witness to testify on behalf of his/her client. When the attorney calling the witness finds that the answers are contrary to the legal position of his/her client or the witness becomes openly antagonistic, the attorney may request the judge to declare the witness to be "hostile" or "adverse." If the judge declares the witness to be hostile (i.e. adverse), the attorney may ask "leading" questions which suggest answers or are challenging to the testimony just as on cross examination of a witness who has testified for the opposition.

http://dictionary.law.com/default2.asp?selected=884
    Lol! So, when the SA asks CA about the chloroform in the car or the deathband hair and she spouts off that "science is just science", they can say "hostile witness"! Lordy, I hope this trial is televised cuz it's gonna be a doozy!

It Was Ancient Aliens!

Quote Originally Posted by Cara's Mom View Post
    Well, by that definition, CA will "absolutely" be a hostile witness. We will watch her implode on the stand. The SAs have their work cut out for them with this bunch.
    Yes, they "absolutely" do, in "a backwards sort of way"! I just wish I could be there to see her implode as she tries to tell everyone how the "spiteful b$tch" is actually the "mother of the year", and in spite of the many times that she has told her what an unfit mother she is that she has never seen her do anything to Caylee. And although she has stolen like a professional thief from family and friends, lied with every breath she took, and didn't bother to report her daughter missing for 31 days, she is really a kind and loving person. The jurors are going to be looking at her like "WTF!"

It Was Ancient Aliens!

Quote Originally Posted by chefmom View Post
    Lol! So, when the SA asks CA about the chloroform in the car or the deathband hair and she spouts off that "science is just science", they can say "hostile witness"! Lordy, I hope this trial is televised cuz it's gonna be a doozy!
    Why would they ask Cindy about those things?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast