1143 users online (231 members and 912 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Michelle Doherty Thomas, 17, Alta Loma, 5 Oct 1985

Michelle Doherty THOMAS
    RULED OUT BY DNA

9/23/2008 I added side by side comparisons

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse Online Bulletin

Missing Person Details

Date Picture Updated: 7/16/2003

Name: Michelle Doherty Thomas
    Case Number: M9311003
    Case Type: Endangered - Foul Play Possible
    Last Seen in: Alta Loma (Galveston County)
    Last Seen on: 10/5/1985
    Height: 5' 2 "
    Weight: 85 lbs.
    Age Missing: 17
    Eye Color: Green
    Hair Color: Brown
    Date of Birth: 11/16/1967
    Race: White
    Sex: Female
    State Missing From: Texas
    Country Missing From: USA
    Circumstances: Michelle was last seen wearing a black Harley Davidson tank top, blue jeans, tennis shoes and carrying a beige purse. She has very prominent freckles.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/mp...3:15:37PM'

TX - Michelle Doherty Thomas, 17, Alta Loma, 5 Oct 1985

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse Online Bulletin

Missing Person Details

Date Picture Updated: 7/16/2003

Name: Michelle Doherty Thomas
    Case Number: M9311003
    Case Type: Endangered - Foul Play Possible
    Last Seen in: Alta Loma (Galveston County)
    Last Seen on: 10/5/1985
    Height: 5' 2 "
    Weight: 85 lbs.
    Age Missing: 17
    Eye Color: Green
    Hair Color: Brown
    Date of Birth: 11/16/1967
    Race: White
    Sex: Female
    State Missing From: Texas
    Country Missing From: USA
    Circumstances: Michelle was last seen wearing a black Harley Davidson tank top, blue jeans, tennis shoes and carrying a beige purse. She has very prominent freckles.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/mp...3:15:37PM'

Bump

Next month will mark 25 years since Michelle went missing. Come home soon sweetie.

Anything else on this case, there’s not a lot to go on.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." – Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

Michelle has been missing for 30 years now.

NamUs

Doe Network

Charley Project Blog

Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
    Michelle was last seen leaving her family's home in Santa Fe, Texas on October 5, 1985. She had come home after work at a Galveston, Texas gas station and then left with two male acquaintances, Carlos Garcia Jr. and Warren Lyn Richardson. She was planning to meet friends at a nightclub located on Galveston Island later in the evening, but she never arrived. The men she was with said they stopped at a convenience store on the way to the nightclub and Michelle got into a vehicle with two other men. Michelle has not been heard from again. Her family reported her as a missing person on October 7, 1985, two days after her disappearance. She left behind a husband and a baby son; she disappeared the day before her child's first birthday. She and her husband were separated at the time of her disappearance.

Garcia and Richardson were indicted for aggravated kidnapping in December 1985. They changed their stories and said Michelle was abducted forcibly from her vehicle when it was stopped at an intersection. The case against them never went to trial.

Michelle's case may be related to a string of young women's disappearances and/or murders in the Galveston County, Texas area since the 1970s. Other missing women include Sondra Ramber, who vanished in 1983, Suzanne Richerson, who disappeared in 1988, and Jessica Cain, who vanished in 1997. Law enforcement has not determined if these cases are connected.

Michelle and her husband served as police informants during a drug bust in March 1985; she was facing burglary charges and agreed to become an informant so the court case would be dropped. By the time she disappeared, she had been hearing rumors that her life was in danger as a result of her involvement with the police. Authorities believe that she may have been abducted and murdered, but little evidence is available in her case.

Some agencies state that Michelle disappeared from Alta Loma, Texas.

A bit more information.

The dropping of the indictment against Garcia and Richardson followed their naming the second car involved as belonging to Tony Locke, age 21 in 1986 when this happened. He was subsequently indicted for murder but the indictment was dropped 'without prejudice' due to insufficient evidence (meaning he could still be charged if new evidence came up). Richardson also named another man in Locke's car but he was not indicted by the Grand Jury. This info is from a 1989 story in the Galveston Daily News which seems only to be available through a newspapers.com subscription.

Unfortunately the truth about this case may have gone to the grave. The 'Tony Locke" referred in my last post is almost certainly Tony Allan Locke, born 1964. I say this because the Galveston Daily News article from 1989 discussing this case made a reference to Mr Locke serving 12 years for aggravated burglary. I then found another article from the same paper, but from 1982, referencing Tony Allan Locke being sentenced to 2 concurrent 5 year terms for burglary and breaching the terms of an unadjudicated probation agreement. It seems certain these articles refer to the same Tony Locke. He must then have been released early on parole from the 1982 sentence to be free in 1985.

Regrettably Tony Allan Locke died June 24 2013 in Santa Fe. Assuming the finger was rightly pointed at Mr Locke this means we have one (and possibly the most important) primary source of any information no longer available. This still leaves the unindicted man who was supposed to have been in the car with Locke when Michelle was taken - but I cannot trace a name.

Michelle Thomas: Born Nov 16, 1967

Missing Since: Oct 5, 1985

Missing From: Alta Loma, TX

Michelle was last seen wearing a black Harley Davidson tank top, blue jeans, tennis shoes and carrying a beige purse. She has very prominent freckles. Foul play is possible.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/fo...#photo-8341030

I was a friend of Michelle's. I had been in Florida with my boyfriend when she went missing. The private investigators came to my home and questioned me upon my arrival. I have been haunted by this since. I recall two of her Male friends named Tony and Bubba. I actually saw them shortly after she came up missing.... they were joking about her missing, calling her a snitch and even referred to her when singing a song (I think Van Halen) about looking over the edge of a ditch at her.... I was young and very scared of them and knew there was no way to prove it. And they could have just been trying to scare me... it did. She was a feisty little 100lbs of fire lol. I miss her 😓