GPS/Ankle Bracelets for SO's

salvarenga

Reaction score
Respectfully snipped and bolded ~

I'm shocked that DS had the audicity to show up to offer donations with an ankle bracelet on! It makes me think of all the instances where the perp has tried and/or succeeded in enmeshing himself with the victim's family or the investigation. My hinky meter exploded. The article had double impact for me because of the posts we had yesterday that seemed to describe this individual and the pictures of the propery he lives on, that were published in the local media not long ago.

I want LE to go back to this guy's house, again and again. The article says he was NOT near Haleigh, BUT Haleigh could have been near him.

I don't remember the address on this SSO or how far away it is from Green Lane - I'll have to go look again.

Salem

IMO, ankle bracelets are USELESS. See the attached link for more information.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/12/sex.offender.gps/?iref=mpstoryview

Sometimes those ankle bracelets work, just ask rapper C-Murder, aka Corey Miller, brother of rapper Master P (Percy Miller). He's been awaiting retrial for murder under house arrest and wondered out of his allotted zone for 10 minutes, and is now back in the pokey since last week.

I think any criminal worth his crooked salt would know a way to get around those bracelets. I don't trust them 100%, for sure.

Ankle monitoring for house arrest is not the same as GPS monitoring for sex offenders. It's two different processes and tracking systems.

Ankle monitoring for house arrest is not the same as GPS monitoring for sex offenders. It's two different processes and tracking systems.
bold by nurse :) very interesting... what is the difference between the two systems and processes? TIA

So which is better? Obviously, I have limited knowledge of how these things work. I've learned a lot on these boards and learn something new every day. Thank you.

Sorry to go off topic but here are the different types of monitoring that are offered by the contractor for FL Dept of Correction:

http://www.ptm.com/default.asp?PageID=3

Active, Passive and RF are the most commonly known offender tracking terms describing supervision levels. Pro Tech’s SMART®Ware System now features a fourth mode: the SMART® Alert level. Pro Tech also offers the SMART®ONE - Wearable giving you a body- worn, one-piece option for your offenders.

SMART®RF – the base unit calls the Surveillance Data Center (SDC) every six hours, or upon violation, to report when your offender arrives at and leaves the home.

SMART®Passive – the tracking unit calls the SDC when placed in the base unit, and every six hours while docked, to report daily location and violation information.

SMART®Alert – the tracking unit calls the SDC twice per day under normal conditions to report location; a violation condition turns the unit to active mode and it calls immediately so that the officer is notified in real-time.

SMART®Active – the tracking unit calls the SDC every hour, or at a “ping” from the officer to report location, and the unit calls immediately upon violation in order to provide real-time information.

SMART®ONE-Wearable - Complements our two-piece tracking device by offering one-piece convenience in a common user interface.

Keep in mind, this would also depend on what type of parameters are set up for the individual wearing the device.

Let's take one of the SO's that live close to Haleigh for example, let's say there restriction was not to be within "X" amount of miles/feet from a school. Then an alarm would not necessarily be sent if they were near Haleigh's home unless it was in the "out of bounds" area.

All that being said, FL is in a budget crisis just like many other states and I know for a fact there have been cuts in LE related items budget. So if I were to make a guess, I would bet they are using the most cost effective (nice wording for cheap) version of this.

Starting this thread to carry on discussion of the differences between GPS bracelets for those on House Arrest and Ankle bracelets for SOs that are "monitored" generally NOT in real time.

Salem

PS - back with some info in just a minute!

No one in this case is on House Arrest so at this point it's not relevant to this case is it????????

In the beginning, LE said they did a second check at SO/L who is a predator in the area. He was 'out of his range'. I believe the next day or so LE brought him in and questioned what his business was outside the restricted home range.

It was reported that another SO/ DS had gone to the Haleigh support center just yesterday and was turned away. In the news article, Harris/an indie journalist & his colleague Regan, both organizers for this support and charity center, asked DS if he had an ankle bracelet on and he told them he did.
03/17/09 5PM Report "Haleigh Charity Organizers Refuse Donations From Accused Sexual Criminal": VIDEO 1:27
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/video/...ect=1063993751
Article:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/a...4030&catid=295

A good question was raised by SALVARANGA whose full post is above:

'Let's take one of the SO's that live close to Haleigh for example, let's say there restriction was not to be within "X" amount of miles/feet from a school. Then an alarm would not necessarily be sent if they were near Haleigh's home unless it was in the "out of bounds" area.

I think the subject is worthy of some conversation.

If you don't think it's relevant to this case, then I guess closing this thread would be in order.

Thank you

No one in this case is on House Arrest so at this point it's not relevant to this case is it????????

TG - I don't think anyone is on house arrest. But there are at least 2 SOs very near the home that are on house monitoring and required to wear bracelets. Apparently, there are different ways to monitor these bracelets, some more effective then others. Typically SOs are not monitored in real time.

I do think it is important to this case and who may have had opportunity to take Haleigh.

Would it be helpful to change the title to just GPS/Monitoring Devices or Monitoring of SOs with GPS Devices or something?

Thanks,

Salem

Respectfully; I do not agree that the ankle bracelet monitor is useless. Also, those wearing the bracelet get to go to the store and also go to work if they have a job that is approved.

JMO

I'm so glad you opened this thread. I posted this question on another thread and it was deleted (I think for being off topic).

What confuses me is that the alleged SO who went to the Satsuma Command Center is out on bail. How does a monitoring system that tracks where he has been protect his alleged victim or any other potential victim.

I guess I'm not understanding why he was granted bail and then provided with a monitoring device that would permit him the amount of freedom he obviously has.

Only if we can start locking 'em up at home until we get all the answers we want, NOW!

Of course, they probably won't take my suggestion into consideration. Gosh darn it.

I'm so glad you opened this thread. I posted this question on another thread and it was deleted (I think for being off topic).

What confuses me is that the alleged SO who went to the Satsuma Command Center is out on bail. How does a monitoring system that tracks where he has been protect his alleged victim or any other potential victim.

I guess I'm not understanding why he was granted bail and then provided with a monitoring device that would permit him the amount of freedom he obviously has.

This is a great question and why this thread was started. The SO that went to the command center has not yet been to court and convicted of the crimes he has been charged with. But it is painfully obvious that he is allowed to move around whereever. He is NOT being monitored in real time, but "checked on" after the fact at some point, who knows when!

The Loukis guy (can't remember how to spell his name) also was NOT being monitored in real time. If he was monitored in real time, they would have picked him up the minute he stepped outside his boundaries. BUT no, they don't question him or even look for him until a little girl goes missing.

Makes one feel really safe doesn't it? How does this help us protect our children? It doesn't. All it does for us is help us catch the perp AFTER the fact. In my opinion - that's too late. And it is downright scary that more and more courts are going to this sort of monitoring system.

Salem

They should all be put on island somewhere

Look,i know they have rights but are kids should have more rights.

I'm sorry most of the rso do end up doing it again. I dont think that bracelet is going to stop them,

http://www.cbs47.com/content/topsto...-Haleigh-Cummings/aRtpMDSdH0Gw3zdQ5NJSMw.cspx

I'm putting this here because it is about Snodgrass. Maybe is should go in one of the other threads?

I am so frustrated. LE says they have questioned him, BUT have they searched his property? I think his showing up at the search center should lead to probable cause for a search warrant!!!!!

How can this investigation be stalled? Something is wrong here.

Salem

Excerpt from article "Sex Offender kills Teen While Under GPS Monitoring, Police Say" http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/12/sex.offender.gps/

"...Darrin Sanford, 30, was one of several homeless people living near the field in an abandoned home slated for demolition, police said.

He was convicted in 1998 of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and luring minors with sexual motivation; he was sentenced to probation, said a Clark County sheriff's report. When he was released from jail in January, following a November probation violation, Sanford was fitted with a global positioning tracking unit on his ankle, according to the Washington Department of Corrections.

Sanford was wearing the device seven weeks later when he tried to rape Licy before beating and stabbing her in a field a couple of blocks from the street where she lived, according to police.

Authorities said they used GPS to corroborate Sanford's confession. A Clark County judge this week postponed his arraignment until June so the defense and prosecution can prepare for death penalty arguments.

Sanford's defense attorney Michael Foister declined to comment on the allegations against his client.

The slaying rocked the enclave of Hazel Dell in Vancouver, a 15-minute drive from Portland, Oregon, and serves as fodder for those who claim GPS is used too broadly and bluntly as a tool for keeping tabs on offenders.

"They can't monitor it live, and even if you could monitor it live, him being in the field wouldn't have told you [if] he was murdering the girl," said Evan Mayo-Wilson, an Oxford University lecturer who has studied the use of GPS.

There are two types of GPS monitoring: active, in which the offender's whereabouts are surveyed in real-time, and passive, in which probation or parole officers check an offender's movements after the fact.

Sanford was passively monitored, said Anmarie Aylward, the Washington DOC's program administrator.

Both types of GPS are important tools for law enforcement, Mayo-Wilson said, but the technology must be coupled with other efforts to reduce recidivism, including treatment programs, personal visits and interviews with neighbors, family members and employers.

Sex offenders should be assessed on a case-by-case basis, and supervision programs must be based on fluid assessments that weigh the likelihood of reoffense, said Peter Ibarra, a sociologist at the University of Illinois-Chicago who studies the use of GPS in stalking and domestic violence cases.

"You have to use it very responsibly," Ibarra said. "It's a technology that cannot stand alone, especially if you're thinking about using it with offenders who imperil the public."

Its alarming to say the least. So in the case of Haleigh police would be able to say with some degree of certainty a particular RSO is responsible for Haleigh's abduction IF the RSO was wearing a SMART®RF or SMART®Passive bracelet. Those particular models do not report in "real time".

The models that do work in "real time" are the SMART®Alert and the SMART®Active. If an RSO wearing one of those bracelets grabbed Haleigh law enforcement would be able to say with much greater certainty who took Haleigh and where to find them. Unfortunately, they would not know that the place the RSO went to is the residence of little girl. The maps don't show who lives where so if the location of a child's home is within the permitted area of an RSO it won't show up as an alarm.

I don't have children, but if I did I would use the good old fashion advice my mom told me: do not talk to stranger danger. Technology isn't full proof and we can't bracelet the ones that haven't been caught yet. I wish so badly that we lived in a world that didn't need these devices...

Praying for Haleigh...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime