Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The girls were abducted then what?

Below you will see a link to Michaud's book and a brief synopsis of its contents.

Please note the last sentence that I copied from this website below. I put *** to highlight what was said repeatedly about DeBardeleben. Also I had a brief interaction with Michaud by e-mail on the Lyon sisters - DeBardeleben possible connection. I may publish this interaction between the author and I as well.

http://www.stephenmichaud.com/lethalshadow.htm

he locker's interior was a jumble of vinyl briefcases, plastic envelopes, bulging paper bags, portfolios and other containers, including two large footlockers. Foos opened one, and Mertz the other. The agents' notes indicate that the second item they inspected that evening was a bag containing an empty gun case, ammunition, handcuffs, and twine. Then a dark blue ski mask and an Icoflex large-format camera, ideal for counterfeit work.

Photographing everything as they handled it, the search team inspected a red plastic pouch containing counterfeit money and a police badge. Another bag from the footlockers were filled with handwritten notes, phone numbers, and women's names and addresses. There were drugs, too, plus a coke kit (mirror and razor blades) and a kit for testing drug purity, complete with a gram scale.

Over the next three hours, the agents identified and seized a single aluminum printing plate and $52,760 worth of counterfeit money in various stages of completion, much of it sorted into stacks and graded A, A-, B+ and so on according to color-coded wrappers around each stack. They found a camera tripod, eyebolts, a man's hat with a bloodstained visor, a device for punching out auto ignitions (a car thief's standard tool), various fake identifications, a pair of women's underpants with a severely distended elastic band, whips, a dildo, and another bag containing what Greg Mertz took to be, in his words, a "death kit": shoelaces, a choker chain, K-Y jelly, and handcuffs.

There were wads of clay for taking key imprints and several metal key blanks. The agents found an abundance of newspaper clips, most reporting on crimes of various sorts, an ample collection of self-help texts' works of pop psychology as well as scholarly and extensively underlined psychiatric texts, and a wide sampling of raunch books, magazines, tapes and photos-hundreds of photos.

Everyone recognized early on in the search that it would be impossible, at the site, to sort through the enormous volume of material; evidence connecting DeBardeleben with counterfeiting, as well as documents that might point the investigation toward its Grail, his press and plates, were hopelessly intermixed with the rest of his papers and gear, both innocuous items such as clothing and the seriously troubling police equipment and handcuffs and brutally explicit pictures of females, ***some hardly pubescent and many looking either drugged or battered or frightened for their lives***.

Below you will find an email I received from Michaud after I reached out to him about my crime theory connection of DeBardeleben and the Lyon girls.

Later I reached out to Rusty - Rachel Trlico's (Missing Trio) younger brother and he stated that Fort Worth LE had missed looking at DeBardeleben as suspect and therefore had NEVER had contact with the Secret Service. FWPD, at that time (about a year or 15 months ago) had NO contact with Montgomer County PD.

This makes me trust Michaud's and the Secret Service's responses less. More to the point, the Secret Service did NOT investigate the considerable evidence that DeBardeleben was likely involved in kidnapping, raping and torturing girls and women during his 1976 arrest.

Here is Michaud's book again detailing how Secret Service agents familiar with DeBardeleben reacted when he was arrested by them for a SECOND time (first one in 1976) in 1983:

After a brief interval of embarrassed silence, Foos retrieved DeBardeleben's file and reviewed it. His worry turned to alarm as Foos leafed through the old records, especially the inventory of what was found in DeBardeleben's house, and a report by agent Mike Stephens of his 1976 interview with DeBardeleben's estranged wife. Foos found the six-feet, four-inch tall Stephens, called "Stretch," at his desk in the Special Investigations squad area. "Hey, Stretch," said Foos as he dropped DeBardeleben's arrest photo on Stephens's desk. "Recognize this guy?"

Stephens did, instantly, and in the same moment felt something twist in his stomach. He looked up and answered slowly. "Yeah, I do."

Here's Michaud's e-mail to me from July 09.

Dear Mr. (thefirstman):

I have spoken with former SS Agent Mike Stephens, who in turn contacted his onetime colleagues, Agents Mertz and Foos. They recollect conferring closely with the Montgomery County Police after Mike DeBardeleben’s arrest, and jointly reviewing the evidence. Mike says that they were unable to positively connect DeBardeleben to the Lyon case, nor could they positively exclude him.

If the Montgomery County Police cold case squad would like to consult with Stephens, he’d be very happy to sit down with them and go over the material once again. He can be reached at 202 555-5555 (not the real #). I hope this helps. That was a heart-breaking case. Stephen Michaud.

April 1975 News Articles about the Beige Ford Station Wagon

There has been some interesting discussion in this thread concerning an incident which took place in April 1975, in which a beige or tan Ford station wagon was sighted in Manassas, Virginia. The station wagon was reported to have held two girls, bound and gagged and it drove away at a high rate of speed.

I posted some news stories from the Washington Post Newspaper concerning that reported sighting on the thread of this featured case section titled "News Reports and Articles..." See post number 71.

Keep in mind that these stories were written in April 1975 and they were based on police press conferences during the time of the initial investigation, just two weeks after the girls disappeared.

I remember this case and what about the note?

I remember this like it was yesterday and for some reason the girl's dissappearance haunted me. I was 11 at the time and can sadly remember their pictures all over store fronts. My sister and I used to walk to the Glen Burnie Mall all the time, 6 miles from where we lived. That abrubtly came to an end after this event.
    I wonder about the note? What type of bottle, color of the ink, was it on notebook paper, possibly a scap piece from a local hotel or restaurant, a napkin? Any attempt at fingerprinting? Where in VA, why is that blocked out?
    Reading all this background information has me wondering why it seems like such important details were possibly overlooked or thrown to the wayside as not so important.
    I will continue to follow, thank you.

The "note" in question...

Welcome to Websleuths and to the Lyon Sisters' forum, sasolis. Thank you for your comments, hope you post more.

In regard to your question about a note: I have never seen any mention of such a note in any of my research or in any press coverage. I tend to doubt that any such note (if it really existed) was a genuine correspondance from the girls. The official line from Montgomery County Police is that the girls were never heard from after 25 March 1975.

If police actually had such a note in evidence, they certainly would have commented on it to the news media - as they did with so many other potential leads, like the Tape Recorder Man, the Tan Station Wagon, the sightings by various teens, and the Ransom Demand phone calls.

I believe that it was MDeitz who mentioned the note's possible existance in one of his posts, so he would have to answer your questions regarding specifics. There was some discussion about it possibly being an "Urban Legend" in one of his posts.

Debardeleben

I have been looking into the 1979 disappearance of Tina Faye Kemp from neighboring Delaware and during my research I have gathered a lot of info on Debardeleben. He was most certainly kidnapping pre-adolescent and young teenage girls all over the east coast, but mostly in the Delaware-Maryland-Virginia-Pennsylvania-New Jersey area. Officials found his hideouts and safe houses all throughout Northern Virginia and Maryland. I would bet that Debardeleben was responsible for so many of the young girls who went missing in our area in the mid to late 70s and if it was ever proven how many or who he actually abducted, that there would be a public outcry about why law enforcement officials did not investigate him much deeper. The secret service still has a ton of the pictures described in Michaud's book about him and they could use those to identify some victims, but most claim the LE does not have the resources to do so. I feel so confident that if an independent citizen driven group could get permission and resources from the government to look through that evidence, they would solve dozens of missing persons cases. It is really ashame that a thing like an agency not having the time or resources is preventing parents or family members from knowing what happened to their loved ones. I have recently been in touch with someone who was remotely involved with Debardeleben's case and he said that he personally would be afraid of going through that evidence now with the technology that we have available because of what he might find. He also claimed that some of the eveidence that was destroyed or set aside for garbage by the storage places where Debardeleben kept his things actually contained bloody panties and other items that could have easily been processed for DNA now and that the secret service may still have some evidence it recovered that can be tested but that it will never probably be tested because nobody wants to be finacially responsible to do so. I just find that morally wrong.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thewop356 For This Useful Post:

DeBardeleben

I've read a couple of books about DeBardeleben and can honestly say that it would have been simple for him to take them. He had more than enough items to make himself look like LE and any child would obey LE. Has anyone compared his photo to the TRM sketch? Just look at the noses. DeBardeleben had a strange looking nose and so does the TRM in the sketch. DeBardeleben hated ALL females...I'm not even sure if hate is a strong enough word. Also, when he was torturing his victims,he made them call him"daddy"....he's the devil.

He bought a press from BPS Printing Service in Wheaton,MD.

Debardeleben

Debardeleben was too tall, to be the TRM I saw. Also, Coffey has a similar looking nose to the composit sketch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeb For This Useful Post:

Bump for this.

DeBardeleben

Ok...I've read 2 books on DeBardeleben and I will say again that it would have been easy for him to pull this off....but I don't think it was him. He took his victims after dark,for the most part. His daytime victims were real estate agents. While he would have felt perfectly at ease at a shopping mall,that was his place of "business" and I don't think he would mix business with his abductions and murders. He would pass fake bills at a mall in one state and then drive 300 miles to another state to hunt for a victim all in the same day. I don't think he stole the missing police uniforms either as he didn't seem to use them. He used fake badges and rigged his car with police lights. So he could have...but I don't think so.

Of course, we do not know for certain that the girls were actually abducted, because there is no available/identified forensic evidence and no witness actually saw them taken. That said, it is a very likely probability that they were abducted.

Going on that assumption (that they were abducted), there are many scenarios and theories of how it could have happened or who might have taken the girls. While some potential suspects might seem better candidates than others, we have to remember that we are starting with an assumption and then trying to match various circumstantial facts about those potential suspects to the scenario.

The Montgomery County Police are the official investigating agency for this case. They have never named anyone as a suspect in the girls' disappearance, although they have investigated numerous people over the years to try to establish any kind of link. Some of those individuals are mentioned in these threads as "Potential or Possible Suspects", but they have never been so designated by MCP.

The "Possible Suspects" that I have mentioned in past posts are/were all dirtbags of one sort or another. All - with only one exception - were convicted in other cases of serious crimes such as murder, rape, abduction, etc.

The exception was a 30 year old man named Michael Pearch. Although he was never convicted of anything, he was shot to death by Montgomery County Police while in the midst of a shooting spree in downtown Wheaton. Several people were killed and seriously wounded by Pearch, beginning at Wheaton Plaza and ending only a short distance away. Those shootings occurred only three weeks after the girls went missing.

Pearch has been discussed in detail in other posts and threads, but my point in mentioning him here is that prior to his Shooting Spree and death, he was nowhere on the radar. He was an honorably discharged Army sergeant, a College student, History buff, Artist, etc. He was a law abiding guy, well liked by people who knew him. In thinking about him, one has to wonder if he simply cracked that day in April 1975 or if his mental health problems and violence had occurred earlier.

Is it coincidence that of all the many "Possible Suspects" Pearch lived closest to the Lyon family? That he knew the back roads of the Kensington Housing area well? That he was trained and experienced in "counterintelligence" in the Army and claimed to have been involved in using phoney badges, Identification cards, and Abductions while in Germany?

Pearch had his own vehicle (a green Volkswagon) and he had a very remote country home in Friendsville, Maryland. He was also known to carry a pistol on his person at all times. He did not have a regular job and so had time on his hands whenever he was in Kensington visiting his mother. He could come and go as he pleased.

We have often discussed theories of how someone could have abducted the girls, and who might have done it. The list of "Possible Suspects" contains a number of very evil characters. Some were active both before and after the girls disappeared. Certainly, any one of them could have abducted the girls, but of all of them, which one had the necessary skills, opportunity, vehicle, remote location, and knowledge of the roads in Kensington to have effectively abducted Sheila and Kate?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thewop356 View Post
    I have been looking into the 1979 disappearance of Tina Faye Kemp from neighboring Delaware and during my research I have gathered a lot of info on Debardeleben. He was most certainly kidnapping pre-adolescent and young teenage girls all over the east coast, but mostly in the Delaware-Maryland-Virginia-Pennsylvania-New Jersey area. Officials found his hideouts and safe houses all throughout Northern Virginia and Maryland. I would bet that Debardeleben was responsible for so many of the young girls who went missing in our area in the mid to late 70s and if it was ever proven how many or who he actually abducted, that there would be a public outcry about why law enforcement officials did not investigate him much deeper. The secret service still has a ton of the pictures described in Michaud's book about him and they could use those to identify some victims, but most claim the LE does not have the resources to do so. I feel so confident that if an independent citizen driven group could get permission and resources from the government to look through that evidence, they would solve dozens of missing persons cases. It is really ashame that a thing like an agency not having the time or resources is preventing parents or family members from knowing what happened to their loved ones. I have recently been in touch with someone who was remotely involved with Debardeleben's case and he said that he personally would be afraid of going through that evidence now with the technology that we have available because of what he might find. He also claimed that some of the eveidence that was destroyed or set aside for garbage by the storage places where Debardeleben kept his things actually contained bloody panties and other items that could have easily been processed for DNA now and that the secret service may still have some evidence it recovered that can be tested but that it will never probably be tested because nobody wants to be finacially responsible to do so. I just find that morally wrong.
    Regarding the photos, perhaps they should be made public for identification.

I never have felt Debardeleben took the Lyon sisters, but he certainly was a sick SOB.

Richard

You had stated that Mileski gave a general description of the area in which the girls were buried. Where did he say they were buried?

Ray Mileski

Quote Originally Posted by Motherof5 View Post
    You had stated that Mileski gave a general description of the area in which the girls were buried. Where did he say they were buried?
    I have discussed Ray Mileski in some detail in the past, but for the benefit of new readers of these threads, here is a little background:

Ray Mileski was a former Marine who lived with his family (wife and three sons) in a small house in Suitland, Prince Georges County, Maryland. He did custom cabinet work for a living. He was in his mid 40's in 1975 when the Lyon girls went missing.

In November 1977, Mileski got into an argument with his oldest son (age 18) and killed him in the basement with a highpowered hunting rifle. He then fired at his wife who came running down the stairs, killing her and wounding his youngest son.

Mileski turned himself in, was tried and convicted of two counts of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

My information on Mileski comes from several sources, including letters that he wrote from prison (which were passed on to Montgomery County Police). I do not know what specific information they have, but certainly more than I have, since they had the opportunity to interview him.

Supposedly, back in 1982, Mileski made some statements to other inmates which indicated that he knew something about the Lyon case and that the girls were buried near his Suitland, MD home. MCP officers actually dug some in his back yard, but found only bird bones.

One source stated that the area of the burial site was in a large gravel pit area near his home called Andrew Jackson Pits. This area is now the site of Andrew Jackson Middle School and a large housing subdivision.

My apologies.

Mileski might have had solid, true information regarding the Lyon sisters disappearance, or he might have simply been a loud mouth jerk who wanted to gain some kind of better treatment by gaming the police.

He was certainly an unstable individual and capable of great violence. He could have been the perpetrator of an act of abduction, but no solid forensic evidence ever connected him to them.

Circumstantial evidence and coincidental information was intriguing, however. Stories from widely different sources tended to match pretty closely.

I really wish someone could maybe will get this case some real supoport there needs to be actual media not another written article now adays like me i wanna see it i know its not going on nancy or anything but get a documentry .4 minute clip is all i can find on the internet but tons of books and books are great too but now adays its gotta be on tv to get the recognition.There needs to be a full documentry done on this case .
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Does anyone have photos of Pearch and Mileski? I've seen just about everyone we've considered as a possible suspect....but can't find photos of these two.

Photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Motherof5 View Post
    Does anyone have photos of Pearch and Mileski? I've seen just about everyone we've considered as a possible suspect....but can't find photos of these two.
    I have seen a photo of Pearch and also a "self portrait" drawing that he did of himself. They were published in the Washington Post Newspaper in April 1975, shortly after his shooting spree in Wheaton, Maryland.

Mileski was in the Maryland prison system from 1977 when he murdered his wife and son until his death some years ago. As such, he would have been photographed periodically. To my knowledge, his photo never appeared in any newspapers, and once he died, references to him in the Maryland Inmate Locator were removed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345