Mosquito NOISE keeps HS kids moving! LOL

PattyCake

Gypsy By Heart
Reaction score
OH this is a good one. Most people over the age of 25 do not hear the noise (hehehehe so it doesn't bother the teachers) just the kids. So am I allowed to install the noise anywhere near my home ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29717006/

"It puts out a high-pitched noise that teenagers can hear but most adults over 25 cannot."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT alas, the teens I see use it to their advantage. lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/technology/12ring.html

"In settings where cellphone use is forbidden — in class, for example — it is perfect for signaling the arrival of a text message without being detected by an elder of the species.

"When I heard about it I didn't believe it at first," said Donna Lewis, a technology teacher at the Trinity School in Manhattan. "But one of the kids gave me a copy, and I sent it to a colleague. She played it for her first graders. All of them could hear it, and neither she nor I could."

Interesting articles, Patty! I've read of malls installing devices like this to discourage tweens/teens from congregating and hanging around, but this is the first time I've heard of a school utilizing the technology!

Haha I can see me and my step daughter and her friends in the mall...

She's gonna be covering her ears and thinking I'm old and deaf...
"What do you mean, you don't hear it" LOL

Good idea. Thanks for the article.

Actually the oldest mentioned this a couple of days ago.

The teacher was "annoyed" that students answered their phones or texts with this tone. She of course could not hear it.

She was going to keep the class after school because she thought their were lying as she could not hear the tone.

Then they got on the internet, where she found out that yes, there was a sound and yes she was too old to hear it.

The teens love this as they can put one over on their teachers and parents and it is "all theirs".

Oh my gosh! I'd be going crazy! I am a young teacher (25) and I downloaded the noise to see if I could hear it. It's ear piercing! If administrators heard it, they'd probably think its a form of torture.

Isn't there a location in the USA that some towns people keep complaining about an endless 'noise'. Some hear it, some don't. But for those who hear it, it drives them insane. Government says there's nothing there...? Wish I could remember the location.

I don't think it's a high pitch, but a low drone instead. :waitasec:

I think this might be it. Weird & creepy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

I don't approve of tactics like this. Teachers and administrators could put a noise that would also annoy them as well! I do not like tactics that are like government internment camps used in schools. One little mind game and undercover tactic could lead to even more in schools that other places and businesses wouldn't dare to infringe on people's rights.

I don't approve of tactics like this. Teachers and administrators could put a noise that would also annoy them as well! I do not like tactics that are like government internment camps used in schools. One little mind game and undercover tactic could lead to even more in schools that other places and businesses wouldn't dare to infringe on people's rights.

In this article Vicki, HS principal talks about this noise only being placed in a couple of spots where it is dangerous to linger should an emergency break out. They don't have a problem with teens congregating, hanging out and being teens. They said its for safety purposes. In the event of a fire, I wouldn't want the stairs to be blocked by 200 kids...

There's a million and one things the government has implemented on us that I may not agree with however it is generally for our safety & health. So I believe their motive to be harmless to the teens, it doesn't hurt them, doesn't hurt their hearing and they are allowed to go elsewhere to hang out. Its not a form of torture. :blowkiss:

On a similar note, I recently attended a family gathering at my in-laws home and their smoke detector went off. Us 'youngsters' - 50 and under - were screaming to be heard over the top of it. Both the elderly folks - in the mid 70's - couldn't figure out why were were being so loud. They couldn't hear the smoke detector. A lot of good that would do them in the middle of the night if a fire broke out.

On a similar note, I recently attended a family gathering at my in-laws home and their smoke detector went off. Us 'youngsters' - 50 and under - were screaming to be heard over the top of it. Both the elderly folks - in the mid 70's - couldn't figure out why were were being so loud. They couldn't hear the smoke detector. A lot of good that would do them in the middle of the night if a fire broke out.

Well that's shockingly scary? How many elderly folk cannot hear their smoke alarms?:eek:

Well that's shockingly scary? How many elderly folk cannot hear their smoke alarms?:eek:

It is scary. Maybe it was just their particular smoke alarm that emitted a signal elderly people can't hear, but I'd suggest anyone who has older parents to conduct a test to make sure they can hear theirs.

:woohoo:I can hear it and i'm.... well ...mid 30's :woohoo: this thread made my day (and made me feel young )....except my ears are now ringing. Older tv's used to make that noise when they "warmed up":)

:woohoo:I can hear it and i'm.... well ...mid 30's :woohoo: this thread made my day (and made me feel young )....except my ears are now ringing. Older tv's used to make that noise when they "warmed up":)

Got'cha beat, belle. I hear it plainly, and I'm (ugh!) 47. I hate saying that number!

Is it different on a cell than on the computer?

Susan

I can barely hear it. Through headphones with the volume turned well up. I'm 53.

I can barely hear it. Through headphones with the volume turned well up. I'm 53.

Shouldn't have turned your Aerosmith up so loud back in '75! Too much head-banger music makes a person go deaf, don'tcha' know! :banghead::banghead::crazy:

Count you blessings, Belleyes...Mid-30's is young. I'd be happy to be mid-30's the rest of my life, if I could!

Susan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back